BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the purchase of a K1200S, our '98 K1200RS has been relegated to riding the slab. My wife and I use it for trips to Boston (we're in NJ) on I-95 and to Iowa City on I-80. For these trips to see relatives we have no time for backroads.

Currently both the S and the RS have Metzeler Z6s, which I like. I would, however, like to get better mileage from the tires on the RS. Can anyone recommend touring tires for this bike?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slab Tires

Give the ME880's a try. I don't know of tire that will give you more miles on the Slab.

Jim

05 K1200S
05 GL1800
04 K1200RS

·
Registered
896 Posts
Ken ME880's will give the best mileage but at what cost?? I'd give my vote to Pilot Roads. You should be able to get close to 7K miles out of them and they are the best wet weather tire out there. I don't think I'd want to trade all the stick for mileage. It can get pretty nasty out on the slab in bad weather, I'd rather have the confidence in the wet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi,

880's for sure.
You can still ride agressively with these.
Have had no problem with them,either the Central CA heat,or in the wet and cold of the CA Sierras or the coast.

JR356

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just switched from a set of Dunlop SportMax to Michelin Pilot Roads. So far, so good (after the initial scuff-in). The Michelins feel a little harder than the Dunlops - personally, I don't know that I'd want to go any harder than the Pilot Roads for the sake of mileage, but that's just me!

Rusty

2003 K1200GT
1971 Honda CB750K1

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
kencorsun said:
.............I would, however, like to get better mileage from the tires on the RS. Can anyone recommend touring tires for this bike?

Thanks for your help.

Ken
I'll throw in another vote for the Pilot Roads. Better mileage than the Z4 (therefore Z6 ,since mileage is the same for those - per Michelin). The first time you ride in the rain with the Pilot Roads you will be amazed. "What rain?" ;) But for the real tight stuff, they will slip. They warn you, and it's no big deal. They should be excellent for you.

for comp purposes (multiple sets): 4.5k on Z4s, 5k on 020s, 5.5k on Avons, 6k on Roads.

Roads for Roads:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my best mileage with the Pilot Roads and the Avon 45/46 combo. Both sets went between 7-8k miles. The Michelins felt better and were stickier though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies to my inquiry about tires. I want better mileage, but I don't think I will be comfortable on "hard" tires. One situation where grip is needed will negate all the extra mileage.

I think I will stick with Z6s or try the Pilot Roads.

Ken

·
Registered
828 Posts
my vote for Pilot Roads

Already mentioned, but these are probably the best wet weather tire out there. If you are just slabbing the bike around, then you can probably get about 8-10k miles if you keep the pressure up. You will notice a flat spot that makes turning exciting at about 7k miles.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
Already mentioned, but these are probably the best wet weather tire out there. If you are just slabbing the bike around, then you can probably get about 8-10k miles if you keep the pressure up. You will notice a flat spot that makes turning exciting at about 7k miles.

ONON-
Mark
Ditto on the vote for the roads and for the flat spot at about 4.5 k in (but I mostly do slab-like riding.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts