BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bought a ' o5 K1200S with Dunlop Roadmart III that had plenty of tread but fishtailed when I snapped the throttle and scared me when I turned. Felt they were worse than Bridgestone tyres on my last used bike.
I loved the Pilot IIs and felt I got 15 -20 mph safer turns. The Road 5s are even better. No fishtailing and much better cornering than Dunlop Roadsmart.
I live to ride and ride to live. I firmly believe my life's more important than tire mileage and my bike doesn't like to lose. The Power 5 tires do corner better but would wear out on a 555# bike.
PS I've read that the GTs
  • Stiffer carcass to better support heavier touring and sport-touring bikes
  • Patented Michelin XST Evo sipping design
It rarely rains in L.A. but when it does it's slippery.
That is what attracted me to the Road tires and why I bought them again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I run Road 5 GTs on my K13GT. Bloody great tyre - unreal grip in the wet and cold and great in the dry/warm as well.

I had a set of Road 5 non-GT's on it before and when at exactly the right pressures (42psi rear, 36 front) they felt pretty much the same as the GT's do now but they were much more sensitive to low pressure - a psi or two and they were squirmy. Not sure about on an S or an R - guess the lighter weight would make the GT less necessary but I reckon, on balance, they'd still be better
A bit of an update on this. I've just looked to replace my Road 5 GT rear and been told the 190/55 GT version (I have fitted HP Motorsport wheels on my GT so run a 190 rear (same as the 1300 S and R) instead of 180) has been withdrawn by Michelin due to stability issues on the BMW K1600. I had no stability issues at all at speeds up to 150 (the GT won't go much past that) and with or without luggage - its a super-stable tyre (none of the squirm on high speed bends that Road 4's are reported to have). Apparently the non-GT is still available in this size as is the PR4 GT but I want a 5GT. I'll try to track one down as its such a good tyre and there's plenty of tread left on the front (I've been hard on the throttle and light on the brakes on this set of tyres).

I may have to go for the non-GT or the PR4GT but may consider the Metzeler Roadtec O1 (HWM version) which I've heard good things about except that the rear wears quick. The bike had a new set of non-HWM Metzeler Z8s on when I got it and they were great (not as good as Road 5s but still a very nice tyre), though rear performance dropped off as they wore.

Anyone know about the Roadtec 01, esp the HWM version? I'm assuming that as Metzeler and Pirelli are now the same firm, they are really Angel GTs (or the other way round).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Already responded once, but have a bit more data. After 6 years of using Pirelli Angel GT's, I now have a set of Pirelli Angel GT2's. Biggest difference visually is the tread pattern on the front wheel, and perhaps its effects. The old GT model had a single big groove down the center. The new design has a 'solid' center and two big grooves to either side. I suspect the new design might actually last a bit longer up front since there is rubber in the center instead of a groove, but that is speculation at the 1000 mile mark. I do note one new 'issue', and that is that the new front picks up rain grooves and gives a bit of a wiggle to the front handlebars at times. I don't remember the version 1 doing this - but I'm now riding on newly-grooved pavement that wasn't there when I was riding the GT 1's.

Cannot say anything about rain as I haven't ridden in it on these tires. Nor do I do much of that here in Phoenix, AZ anyway. I thought the GT 1's had excellent rain performance when I took vacation trips through Colorado. I suspect the new design is even better with the double front grooves.

Both versions have insane grip. I've only lost traction when applying too much power at high lean angles on the GT 1's, and I've not even experience that on the 2's. (Nor have I tried full power leaned over very often). In terms of feel, they feel rock solid at all lean angles.

Now to see if they last more than 5,000 miles on a rear tire, which seems to be the lifespan of every rear tire I've ever put on a BMW motorcycle back to my R90s. (Except the M3's - 3000 miles there.)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2009 K13s and have been running a set of Road 5’s for the last 2 years. They handle great for my riding style which is half highways to get to the other half twisties. The only time they showed some weakness was riding on the Dragon when I was packed 1 up. The front tire had some rolled up rubber, but handled fine. It was set up heavy and I was working the corners on a hot day.

They shined in the rain I hit in my commute from NY to the Dragon. I understand that these tires are a comprise, but so is a Sport Touring bike. I went with the Road 5 because a wise man once said “a mans gotsta know his limitations“. I can adjust my riding but not the weather I run into on the way to the nice roads.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts