BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Tires on K1200S?

13K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  zombiewolf 
#1 ·
I know,... threads about tires (or is tyres ???) come up all the time and often it's the same questions over and over. So we're suppose to run a search first and so I did. Of course, I didn't really find I was looking for so I'm starting another new tire thread. With that said, here goes:

Of all the tyres currently approved for the K1200S what are your favorite and why?

I don't have enough experience with the K1200S yet to post a good opinion. I have ridden the Michelin Pilot Powers and liked them allot. The impression I get from what I read is that the Michelin Pilot Powers are preferred by many on the K1200S.

Does anyone like or prefer the Metzeler Sporttec M1 or Brigstone BT014?

Thanks for putting up with another tire thread.

#2 ·
Here my opinion (my drivingstyle):

Metzeler Sportec M1, very good tire, but only 2000 miles.
Michelin Pilot Power, best tire for the K1200S, 3000-3500 miles.
Bridgestone BT 014, good tire, ~2000 miles.
availble since one week - Michelin Pilot Road, long distance tire, ~5000 miles.
Avon Avon Azaro AV 45/46 ST (B), now on my K12S, long distance tire, ~5000 miles.
and 2 Avon Viper Sport (and highsport), good tires but ~1500 miles (highsport 1000 miles).

#6 ·
Micheal,

Any chance of a report on your experience with the Avons? I had them on my last bike (FZ1). At the time of the trade for my K-S they had 11000+ km on them and still had lots of safe life left. I was really happy with their overall performance and think they'll go on the K-S when the M1's are done. Thanks.

Dave

#7 · (Edited)
mark5lam said:
I know,... threads about tires (or is tyres ???) come up all the time and often it's the same questions over and over. So we're suppose to run a search first and so I did. Of course, I didn't really find I was looking for so I'm starting another new tire thread. With that said, here goes:

Of all the tyres currently approved for the K1200S what are your favorite and why?

I don't have enough experience with the K1200S yet to post a good opinion. I have ridden the Michelin Pilot Powers and liked them allot. The impression I get from what I read is that the Michelin Pilot Powers are preferred by many on the K1200S.

Does anyone like or prefer the Metzeler Sporttec M1 or Brigstone BT014?

Thanks for putting up with another tire thread.
I have had Metzler M1's, Z6's, Bridgestone Battlax's, and Michelin Pilot Roads. The Pilot Roads are hands down the best ALL WEATHER street tire I have ridden on.

Tread life: Lasted 6000 miles on my KRS with a very aggressive riding style. Z6's are on par with tread wear, whereas the M1's are a joke.

Traction: Dry traction was excellent (M1's win in the dry), and wet traction was superior to the other tires. Resistance to hydroplaning was amazing even in a thunderstorm downpour at 100mph! The rear of my bike would have a tendancy to hydroplane or break loose with the Z6's due to the lack of tread down the middle. M1's had me sliding all over the place in the wet.

Warmup: Tires required very little warmup in cold weather, when compared to the others. Just ride and go.

Turn in: Turn in was a little heavier than the M1's or Z6's, but when leaned over it took very little effort to keep the bike at that desired angle.

I will probably tryout the Pilot Powers when its starts warming up again, but until then....the Roads rule. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Don't try to hard to enjoy M1s'. Just got word from my tire guy that the B wall (for Beemers) have been discontinued and will soon be replaced with M3s'. He didn't have any info on the M3 but hopefully with as good grip but better wear. So, I've just "sucked it up" and went with PPowers. I'm sure I'll be fine with them but except for the awful wear rate, have liked the M1.

#10 ·
have had M1's and Dunlop 208 Z's, loved them both but managed about 3k per tire, rear anyway...I've had great results with Metler Z6's in the past and am liking them on this bike as well, hoping to get better mileage thru the upcoming winter. But you give up a TAD in performance, just a tad, but enough that for sure I'll be going back to the 208's in the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.