BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY k1200rs needs new tires. Has anyone used the new Pilot Road 4 (GT's)??

I've been researching them and would like some feedback from anyone that has some experience using them. :dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put Pilot Road 4s on my K1200S a few weeks ago, and I love how sticky they are... The GT's should be just as good, but made for the heavier bikes. I swear by the Pilot Roads all the way back to the PR 2s. although I will admit my hesitancy when I saw the Road 3's at first.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have ridden with several sets of Pilot Road 2s on my 2007 K1200GTs. I have tried both the "B" rear tire (comparable to the current "GT" type) and the non-B rear rear tire. Note: I travel with heavy luggage, and rarely a passenger, but never both at the the same time.

My current set of tires are Pilot Road 4 GTs. I like them a lot. I have ridden with them in very heavy rain all day rain several times, and once through a good hour of hail, sleet, and snow (which did not collect much on the road itself). I really like the grippiness in wet weather. They have held up well on long trips. I used the same set for a round trip from So Cal to Kentucky and another round trip to Houston.

Most of my riding has been on Interstates or major highways, but I usually add a few detours through twisties and sweepers.

Bottom line: The PR4s are good tires for me, and I will buy another set when these wear out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I need to get another set of PR4's - at 15K on them- Where are peoples PR4's from ? My PR4's are from Spain. Had 2 sets of PR2's from France 20K & last set from Japan & 7K - so my warning is make sure you know where your tires come from. It makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I need to get another set of PR4's - at 15K on them- Where are peoples PR4's from ? My PR4's are from Spain. Had 2 sets of PR2's from France 20K & last set from Japan & 7K - so my warning is make sure you know where your tires come from. It makes a difference.
I buy tires on price alone. It works out for me. Free shipping is important for tires. I bought my last set in November 2015 from Jake Wilson:

120/70ZR-17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Radial Front Motorcycle Tire - Nov 05, 2015 $140.98 1 $140.98
180/55ZR-17 (73W) Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Radial Rear Motorcycle Tire - Nov 05, 2015 $179.98 1 $179.98
Subtotal: $320.96
Shipping: Free!
Total: $320.96

I looked at the Jake Wilson website, and they are now $151.88 and $191.97 respectively.

In over 35 years of riding, I never bothered to look where a tire originated. It may make a difference, but I won't bother sales people to ask, and I wouldn't know which county of origin is better anyway. I usually replace tires just before a long trip, because I would rather not deal with tire changes while traveling. I am such a gentle rider that I usually get 10,000-15,000 miles on them with plenty of tread remaining when it is time for another long trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts