BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to be an early adoptor but economic environment combined with new job won't allow. So I'll ride my 07 K1200GT and keep informed through the lucky ones who are riding these marvelous looking machines! My turn will come in the second model year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Well, I guess we (The E.A.'s) will be seeing you around in 2012. :teeth

Time will tell if we are indeed so lucky. This K1600 better be good, or else..... :bash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
You might be wise to hold off a couple years, even if you would come in to a "windfall" of money. JMHO

Gilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Will visit a preview in one week where I will actually get to see the bike I ordered. No way I will wait for two years or more.

I'm fine with Beta testing as long as the quality is matching the S1000RR's. :D
If it will turn out to be closer to the F800ST's first model in 2006, I will swap my bike in two years for a Mark II version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
herrdirektor said:
Will visit a preview in one week where I will actually get to see the bike I ordered. No way I will wait for two years or more.

I'm fine with Beta testing as long as the quality is matching the S1000RR's. :D
If it will turn out to be closer to the F800ST's first model in 2006, I will swap my bike in two years for a Mark II version.
If you could, pls check if the intercom/comunication system is wired in addition to being wireless?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Intercom

Noticed on the K1600GTL that it had a hard wired plug for an Iphone /Ipod in the RHS fairing box.Also had a Bluetooth section in the menu system.
cheers Andrew
R1200GS (for now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
No concept

If BMW doesn't produce a bike that lives up to the concept 6 design as it was originally showcased by 2012, I would consider that a dismal corporate failure. I set the K1600GT as my desktop background for a month and it didn't make me drool once. ...talk about lunch bag letdown
:deadhorse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
TrialsRider said:
If BMW doesn't produce a bike that lives up to the concept 6 design as it was originally showcased by 2012, I would consider that a dismal corporate failure. I set the K1600GT as my desktop background for a month and it didn't make me drool once. ...talk about lunch bag letdown
:deadhorse
Concept vehicles almost never end up in production. They are one off designs created to showcase what they can do and to generate buzz. Eventually the technologies incorporated in concepts may end up in future vehicles assuming the system works well, is relatively inexpensive to use and there is consumer interest in the option. I seriously doubt that BMW will build a production version of the concept 6, especially since BMW has already said they won't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
make it sexy

Kalli said:
Concept vehicles almost never end up in production. They are one off designs created to showcase what they can do and to generate buzz. Eventually the technologies incorporated in concepts may end up in future vehicles assuming the system works well, is relatively inexpensive to use and there is consumer interest in the option. I seriously doubt that BMW will build a production version of the concept 6, especially since BMW has already said they won't.
What technologies were portrayed in the concept that could not and did not end up in a production sport bike version? The single passenger seat, the six puck brakes, the smaller bars and rearset foot controls or the abbreviated fairing ? Granted the prototype had exhaust openings that could never meet street regulations, but the biggest difference between what they showcased and what they introduced is what was added, not what they couldn't reproduce. It's obvious that overpowered naked sport bikes are popular now, so give the consumers what they want, don't tease us with it and then launch yet another massive touring bike.
If BMW waits too long it'll all be available in a future Honda model anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
TrialsRider said:
What technologies were portrayed in the concept that could not and did not end up in a production sport bike version? The single passenger seat, the six puck brakes, the smaller bars and rearset foot controls or the abbreviated fairing ? Granted the prototype had exhaust openings that could never meet street regulations, but the biggest difference between what they showcased and what they introduced is what was added, not what they couldn't reproduce. It's obvious that overpowered naked sport bikes are popular now, so give the consumers what they want, don't tease us with it and then launch yet another massive touring bike.
If BMW waits too long it'll all be available in a future Honda model anyway.
I was mostly speaking in generalities, not being specific to the concept 6 itself since I don't have a laundry list of it's showcase items handy. However the LED headlight, the digital torque display and even the exhaust system which you mentioned are all things that were on the concept 6 and didn't go into a production motorcycle. Vehicle manufacturers showcase all sorts of things in their concept vehicles. BMW build a concept car a few years ago with a body made out of high tech cloth and an underlying frame system that allowed the body to effectively reconfigure itself. That isn't to say they can't make a K1600S or a K1600R, that is solely up to them if they think there is a market for it. I am just saying, that the concept 6 as shown, probably will not make it into production and BMW has already stated that it won't.

BTW, I do love the way the concept 6 looks and I think the exhaust is really cool. I'd love to see it in production, I just don't think it will. Keep your fingers crossed for an R or S version of the K1600 in the next couple years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
TrialsRider said:
If BMW doesn't produce a bike that lives up to the concept 6 design as it was originally showcased by 2012, I would consider that a dismal corporate failure.
In 2012 BMW will unveil another K1600 model and it's going to be close to the Concept 6. Start $aving! :xcheer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I think I'll pass for the first production year

My 13gt is just perfect, the 16gt looked and felt really nifty. I think they definitely won me over. but I do not think I will change a perfect bike for a first year production bike.
It took BMW 3 years to make a perfect product from the outstanding K1200gt 2006 project.
So maybe I'll get another 1300 before the 6 shows up in my garage, at 100 pound extra I will be missing a rear gear.

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Do the 6 now or wait, learn, consider?

I am jumping on the new 6 for the fun now. I did the K1200GT in 2006 and loved it. Rode it hard, lots of 2-up, rode to Canada for my 60th birthday with my gal, had a ball. BMW has lots of decades in 6 cylinder tech and they are getting very good at popping out new born babies that resonate with the riding community. I have seen too many of my pals check out and miss the joy of new toys. I am not waiting. I'm getting the red GTL in May or early June according to Pam, owner of the local BMW store where I bought my new LT & GT. :clap:

For those who speak BMW, the E36 M3 served me well for 137,000 miles and minimal issues. It was a first year model, born in 1995! BMW's total engineering launch team and the production gang are far better now than they were then.

My pal who is an exec in HD engineering keeps telling me the same thing. He is not ready for me to ride an HD. They keep buying BMWs to ride, study, and do their engineering studies.

I prefer to get on the newer models and ride. You can not take the cash to your grave boys & girls.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Wish they would have put hydraulic lifters in the beast. That would keep wrenches out of the engine area and stripping bolts out, scratching up body panels, and doing bad gasket fittings. Add in far lower maintenance costs too. Okay, even do it on their R lineup too. Maybe some sort of innovative hydraulic rocker arm since they are keen on techie innovation?

I mean if Harley can use them, why not BMW since money is no object with them. No wonder the Harley is so cheap in the shop compared to BMW with a valve check and radiator flush and fill. Then they could offer a 5-year all-inclusive free service as they do on their cars. I saw where some Harley dealers are even doing winter maintenance specials for only $99 which included the synthetics for the engine and tranny, filter, 10 point inspection, and even pick-up and delivery to your house for only $99. :clap:

I fear the 1600 is going to be a big-time shop money maker when it comes to adjusting valves, messing with the radiator, doing an ABS bleed, and whatever else they throw into it. Probably around $800 in some areas. Add a couple of tires and $1,200. No thanks. A GT bill of $600 for the valve check was bad enough. Had one been out of tolerance, then $750.


Mack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
I say run far away from this k1600 atrocity.I mean beta test
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I wish list

If I was doing an 'I wish' on the 6 concept, it would have the longitudinal layout of the old K100RS including the mirrors in front of your hands. The cylinders down the right side so that when you park it on the side stand the oil collects in the crankcase and not the barrels, gear driven cams instead of a chain, fuel filter external to the fuel tank and it would feature the lowest wind drag coefficient dynamically possible, one up.
The warranty would only be 1 year but it would come with a complete owner/service manual and include all special service tools required. The idiot lights and cryptic code displays would be replaced with human readable alerts and it would only come in 2 colors Pearl or Metalflake Red :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
fas said:
I am jumping on the new 6 for the fun now. I did the K1200GT in 2006 and loved it. Rode it hard, lots of 2-up, rode to Canada for my 60th birthday with my gal, had a ball. BMW has lots of decades in 6 cylinder tech and they are getting very good at popping out new born babies that resonate with the riding community. I have seen too many of my pals check out and miss the joy of new toys. I am not waiting. I'm getting the red GTL in May or early June according to Pam, owner of the local BMW store where I bought my new LT & GT. :clap:

For those who speak BMW, the E36 M3 served me well for 137,000 miles and minimal issues. It was a first year model, born in 1995! BMW's total engineering launch team and the production gang are far better now than they were then.

My pal who is an exec in HD engineering keeps telling me the same thing. He is not ready for me to ride an HD. They keep buying BMWs to ride, study, and do their engineering studies.

I prefer to get on the newer models and ride. You can not take the cash to your grave boys & girls.

Hey Rob! I got the blue....what did you go with>?

Dave across the tracks.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top