BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 18 months since my 98 K12RS became .. toast.
Now, I have an opportunity to buy a 03 K12GT with low miles
and Ohlins shocks ..for $10K

Should I buy her or wait for the new GT...

·
Registered
78 Posts
To paraphrase the Nascar add:

How bad have you got it? ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
That 10K will go a lot further today. The new GT's will still be new and current after you wear out the "03. Everybody wants "NEW". A great used bike with a suspension upgrade is still a great deal. Buy one now and a new one later. Both are great bikes. One is at half-price to the other. Get the "03.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like the looks of the '03GT. So I would definitely go with the '03 and wait till all the bugs are ironed out on the new model GT....oh, then you being a multiple bike owner, nothing wrong with having one each:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the looks of the RS/GT better than the new one. And I don't need any more speeding tickets either, so I'd go for the 03.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Kirk,

Go ahead and buy it, you know you want it. :D You can't go wrong and you've already got a background with the K bike.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get the '03

$10k sounds like a good deal. It will probably be months before the new GT is available. I also like to have the bugs worked out on new models. Once the new GT is here, you can sell the '03 and purchase the new one if you so desire. Consider the loss on the '03 as monthly enjoyment payments while you wait for the new one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
$10K for a low mileage 03 GT in good condition is more than a fair price. I'm perfectly happy with mine, but only you know if the new GT is a "gottahaveit" or not.

Rusty

·
Registered
50 Posts
You are looking at 2 different bikes. Ride one of the new engine bikes and then make your discission. The 03 brick is unique and will Have different characteristics then the 06
Also look at the $$$$

Good Luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
I debated this same question when I was looking back in June:

1) New GT will probably mid-2006 before delivery at best
2) Odds are new GT will have some "bugs"
3) Buy used and avoid initial loss in value (I ignored this rule and bought new...purely an emotional decision)
4) In the end, it's how bad the bug is biting you and what you really want

·
Registered
227 Posts
Buy now, why wait? The new GT is many months away and probably close to twice as much. For reference, the R1200RT is around $18k, the K1200GT you know will be higher.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts