BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
dwight_neo said:
Here is a link to a new GPS made for Motorcycles and scoters from TomTom. This could be an interesting item since it was engineered for the task at hand.

The unit has a night color scheme for better viewing and is setup to be readable in direct sunlight.

Check it out!

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=146&Language=4

Dwight_neo
for $1200, it better work in outer space.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There have been a couple of posts on this forum and quite a few on the old one, but, very little is really known about this unit. Have you seen one yet?

I posted the following in a previous post on this forum:

I was very interested in the TomTom Rider, mainly due to its BlueTooth I/F, weather and traffic.

However, the unit was supposed to be out 6 months ago. I signed up for email updates and haven't recieved a one, yet the website keeps moving the intro date. I have emailed them and asked questions and did not get any responses. So, I have become suspect of their Customer Support!

On a GPS forum, I finally found someone who appeared to know a lot about it. He claims that the weather and traffic will not be available in the US for a while (they are based in Amsterdam). He also said that all maps and uploads are via the Internet and cost each time. He said that they nickel and dime you to death. TomTom Plus is a monthly subscription...not sure how much.

I have decided to wait for the 2730 to introduce and see how it goes with the early adopters and let the price drop a bit and purchase in the February/March timeframe. Hopefully the TomTom will be out by then!

At least the web site now lists them as available so maybe we can get some questions answered, such as:

Can you plan your route on a PC and download to the TomTom? If so, is this a "local" program such as City Navigator OR is is Internet based?

Does it use standard SD memory cards OR do you have to purchase proprietary ones? The specs say "32mb of RAM" that I assume is internal memory for the CPU since they also indicate it comes preloaded with a contiguous US map which won't fit on 32mb.

When will the traffic be available? Their website says to click on your city to see if there is coverage and the hours of coverage. Some cities show up, a lot don't even though they are listed in the drop down menu. None I found show any hours of operation.

Anyway, it looks promissing. I will compare this to the Garmin 2730 in person. The 2730 has a higher resolution and proven North American functionaily and tech support, plus XM Radio. The TomTom features BlueTooth (great idea) and the nigt mode (another great idea). Their customer support has been unimpressive so far.

If anyone as seen the TomTom, let us know!

Randy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it use standard SD memory cards OR do you have to purchase proprietary ones? The specs say "32mb of RAM" that I assume is internal memory for the CPU since they also indicate it comes preloaded with a contiguous US map which won't fit on 32mb.

The Web site does list standard SD cards and not a proprietary card type. As far as the rest we will have to wait.

An other Garmin one might be the 376c to check out. It also has XM radio, waterproof and is also has a screen visible in sunlight.

Dwight

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dwight,

Unless you found something different, the TomTom site says it is an SD card, but only lists ones that are preloaded. This could easily mean that it is a proprietary format as is the case of some of the Garmin products.

BTW, the least expensive that I have found the TomTom Rider on preorder is $999. All sites still list December as the release date, so, at least it hasn't moved again!

As far as the 376c, I have looked at it and like it a lot, but, it is not a touchscreen (uses a bunch of small buttons) and it does not offer the traffic info. In this post on the 2730 I did a comparison of it to the 376c.

I was told today that the 2730 DOES have a night mode, just like the old 2610 and, it occurs automatically, based off of the light sensor.

The perfect unit to me would be the 2730 with the OPTION to purchase the NEXRAD service if you wanted it along with the return of the MULTIFUNCTION hard buttons and the TRANSPARENT modes (from the old 2610). Maybe someday!

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts