BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help...Newbie here and dont really know what to do. Im in the market for a RS. Been doing my homework and reading all the forums and MOA news letters. But the bike listed on looks too good to be true. Over 4k in after market parts and the guy will take 7500 right now if I would pay in person. Hes in NY and Im in Ohio. Not like its right down the road. More like 650+miles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...603318871QQcategoryZ49976QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tell me what you guys think...

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's hard to tell by pics alone. Kelly Blue Book is $9020 for the bike. Seller didn't mention anything about maintenance or if there was anything wrong with it. Maybe someone on this board who lives near there can take a look at it. I just wouldn't buy it without seeing it in person and riding it.
With the new S bike out and no more RS being made, you should be able to get anything you want.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Looks like a Patriots fan by the reflection in the gauges...maybe lost a bundle last weekend (haha)....wouldn't buy it without riding it myself....make sure the VIN matches the title and that the title is clear of all liens....sounds too good to be true....definitely handle it in person....good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy who is selling it is really short with his answers. Ive called him 2 times to see if we could met half way some where with the bike. He hasnt called me back. But Im just going to wait and hope some one out bids me. If not I guess you can call me a scum bag....because Im not going to pay.....oh well

·
Registered
478 Posts
Armyguy,

I'd definitely have someone check it out that lives nearby.

There's a big red flag about the seller: Been a member since 2002 yet has ZERO feedback....

Anyway, there is some purchase protection for vehicles on eBay - you'll haveta pay a deductible I think but it's better than losing your shirt!

Good luck and let us know what happens!

alow

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The NADA book is; lo-$6,900 avg.- $9,100 that puts it in the middle right now in the auction. The $4,000 in aftermarket upgrades are worth close to zero when selling. A lot of people want their bikes stock.
The auction still has over a day and 1/2 to go and the seller has your $7,500 bid already. Why would he sell it to you for $7,500 cash and not let the auction run some more?
In the sellers defense, if it was my bike I wouldn't take it around the block for a buyer to see it. If you want it, you come to me.
Finally, don't ask for advise involving money from anyone except your family. Keep your money in your pocket. You sound WAY to eager to get a bike at any cost.
Bruce C

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Bruce..shouldnt you ask other people that know about bikes??? I was just asking. Plus I said He WOULD take 7500 CASH right now. But when you sell something you should be willing to answer quetions right? Plus the numbers you have really dont add up to the blue book I have at the dealership. Like I said I was just asking............

·
Registered
167 Posts
K-Taxi

Hey ArmyGuy.

Just my 2cents worth.

I had a chance to buy a local 2001 K-Taxi like this one with the bags had 7000 miles, Remus Exhaust, Very clean, Needed tires, with 2xtra windshields and a small tail bag for 6500.00 so I would just take your time and look around your area for a similar ride because now is the time to buy when the prices are at a low level. You'll be much better at finding something local that you can get checked by a reputable bike shop so you can get a idea what if any repairs will be needed and maybe new tires? if needed will be about $350 alone so shop around. Get as much bike as you can afford but have enough money left over to make sure you can ride it safely.

BEST OF LUCK.

Fletch

·
Registered
186 Posts
Armyguy1128 said:
The guy who is selling it is really short with his answers. Ive called him 2 times to see if we could met half way some where with the bike. He hasnt called me back. But Im just going to wait and hope some one out bids me. If not I guess you can call me a scum bag....because Im not going to pay.....oh well
Armyguy, If you really want someone to outbid you, why don't you just retract your bid. This way you won't risk getting a negative feedback from this stranger.

If you decide to buy it, I'd suggest to pick it up in person. Looks he's also selling an Aprilia. Maybe you can check his plates..:D

·
Registered
398 Posts
As mentioned in a previous post, he is also selling an Aprilia. It appears that both bikes are photographed in the same driveway.

A question off topic... Anyone know where he might have got that tinted windshield. I've never seen a full size tinted one for a 97-01.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looks like a nice bike but I wouldn't pay that much for a bike that old. Get the vin and have your local BMW dealer run it to see if all services/recalls were done. I sold an '02 with extras for about that, because after trying to sell it for 6 months, that was all I could get for it. Resales on Ks pretty much sucks. You're paying for the paint job for this one. BUT, having said all that, if you do end up with the bike and it's like the man says it is, you're going to love it and not regret your purchase.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That wind shield came from Pirates Lair for about 170 bucks.

http://piratesk12site.net/ZShield.htm

Hope it helps....They have ALL the K12RS parts you could think off. Great site!!!

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
Armyguy1128 said:
Need help...Newbie here and dont really know what to do. Im in the market for a RS. Been doing my homework and reading all the forums and MOA news letters. But the bike listed on looks too good to be true. Over 4k in after market parts and the guy will take 7500 right now if I would pay in person. Hes in NY and Im in Ohio. Not like its right down the road. More like 650+miles

Tell me what you guys think...
Looks like a pretty fair deal for January. In New York :)

650 miles is an easy day on a K12...It's certainly seems worth pursuing further.

·
Registered
76 Posts
seems high

$7500 seems a little high to me, considering the current market. Not bad though. I just spent three months shopping these bikes. I ended up paying $10K for a 2003 with one year of manufacturer warranty, plus an additional 24 months extended, only 9,000 miles. Bike is spotless. No modifications. Not my favorite color (capri blue) though but its starting to grow on me. I agree that you are paying a premium for that beautiful paint job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Armyguy1128 said:
I am sorry to see that you put a bid in. There may be nothing wrong with this bike or the seller but I have to advise you to follow rule #1.

Rule #1 Follow your gut.

I have bought 3 and sold 2 bikes online. Here is a little of what I've learned.

You should never have bid until you were comfortable and trusted the seller.
There is no reason to bid early on a bike. Impulse bidding is a bad idea no matter if it's $7 or $7,000 dollars.

You should not place a bid on a bike until you have worked out the details, such as deposit and pick up with the seller. The seller should be bending over backward to make you feel comfortable that he is on the up and up. Find out if he belongs to a local club, can anyone vouch for him? Where has the bike been maintained? Can you speak with the dealer or mechanic. Why is the bike being sold? Is he the first owner? A seller should be willing to answer any and all of these questions. A their story needs to make sense. If no information is forthcoming, then I would not send the downpayment. Better to loose your rating then your money.

Good luck,
Gail

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking at the photos, it seems like it has GT mirrors, not RS. May be nothing but if he says it hasn't gone down and is original, etc...."Things that make you go .....Hmmm".

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
fastjohnny said:
Looking at the photos, it seems like it has GT mirrors, not RS. May be nothing but if he says it hasn't gone down and is original, etc...."Things that make you go .....Hmmm".
They sure look like the mickey mouse ears type mirrors I have on my '98.

What makes ya go Hmmmmmm is all the second guessing I see on this thread.

·
Registered
370 Posts
shook sez said:
They sure look like the mickey mouse ears type mirrors I have on my '98.

What makes ya go Hmmmmmm is all the second guessing I see on this thread.

As far as I know, the mickey mouse ears were not standard on the 03RS. By the way, all this 'second guessing' is meant to help. Perhaps you have only had great luck and honest folk when you have made a purchase. I hope that good luck continues for you. Cheers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In questions from members he does say he is the original owner and that he has the service records.If he is selling his aprilla maybe he needs the cash.I think most of us believe these are very reliable bikes if well cared for and serviced.Just some thoughts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts