BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to fix my corroded, leaking K75 fuel tank by coating the thing with epoxy resin from Caswell Plating: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Overall the process went well, and the material is super-tough.

The unique design of the K-Bike fuel tank adds some complexity to the process, especially the final step, where the instructions mandate leaving the tank upside down to drain excess resin.

My leak was at the lowest point, so I saw no harm in letting what seemed like a small amount of excess resin pool up and add extra strength. Not smart!

The hardened pool is too thick, and I no longer have enough clearance to install the fuel pump!

I've pretty much written the experiment off as a loss, but I thought I might consult the finely-tuned minds online and see if anyone had a suggestion. So far the only thing I can think of is scooting the fuel pump up the rubber surround so that it doesn't reach down as far towards the bottom of the tank.

Anybody got a 93-95 gas tank in Classic Black they want to sell? ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
why not get a dremel or something and get rid of some of the epoxy? how much is a "little"??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a good half-inch too much epoxy, and its way down at the bottom, underneath the fuel-tank bracket where its very hard to reach with tools.

When thin, the stuff doesn't swell much in curing, but when thick it seems to almost double!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts