BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi so recently this morning i thought that my bike didn't have enough oil so i panicked and added more after i let the bike rest overnight the oil in the glass tube is now over max will this cause problem or is this an okay state that i wouldn't have to remove any attached are pictures the bike in center and with side stand. The first pic which is near max is on side stand while the other one which is almost near the top is the one on center. Please help me i dont know what to do is this bad?:sad sorry im new to this forum

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take a Turkey baster and or syringe and suck out the excess oil. The screen in the oil reservoir tank lifts out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi i have a question should the glass tube be read on center stand or side stand cause after reaching operational temp then letting it rest on the side stand it actually is exactly on max.
also if may i ask is this damaging to the engine?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Owner’s manual says to check the oil when the bike is upright or on the center stand.

Oil can collect in the sump
if the motorcycle is out of use for an extended period of time; this oil has to be pumped into the oil tank before the level is read. The engine oil must be at operating temperature to do this. Checking the oil level with the engine cold or after no more than a short ride will lead to mis- interpretation; this in turn, means that the engine will be operated with the incorrect quantity of oil. In order to ensure that the en- gine oil level is read correctly, check the oil level only after a lengthy trip.
Make sure the engine is at op- erating temperature and hold the motorcycle upright.
with centre standOA
Check that the engine is at op- erating temperature, make sure the ground is level and firm and place the motorcycle on its standOA
Check that the engine is at op- erating temperature, make sure the ground is level and firm and place the motorcycle on its centre stand.
Allow the engine to idle for one minute.
Switch off the ignition.
Check the oil level in oil-level z indicator 1.
Maintenance

You can download an owners manual free on line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm “ Oil can collect in the sump if the motorcycle is out of use for an extended period of time” can this be the reason why it looks super full? Since it been left for a whole day. But will check when i start it up

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are confusing sump and the reservoir. The sump is the area under the engine where the oil drains to after lubricating the engine and then the oil gets pumped back up to the reservoir. So oil collecting in the sump is not going to show as an over full reservoir but rather the opposite.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are confusing sump and the reservoir. The sump is the area under the engine where the oil drains to after lubricating the engine and then the oil gets pumped back up to the reservoir. So oil collecting in the sump is not going to show as an over full reservoir but rather the opposite.
A good explanation of a “Dry Sump” engine.
A “Wet Sump” engine is one where the oil is stored in the engine sump and there is no discrete tank or reservoir for oil storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this good already

Hi so i already had time to remove some oil first thing i can't seem to remove the oil screen you're talking about so i tried my best to remove as much as i can second attached are photos of a operating temp then shut off bike for 1 minute according to manual pictures of the oil glass please tell if this is already considered okay? or i still have to remove so more? thanks ps this is already in center stand soo i guess its as accurate as it gets

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi so i already had time to remove some oil first thing i can't seem to remove the oil screen you're talking about so i tried my best to remove as much as i can second attached are photos of a operating temp then shut off bike for 1 minute according to manual pictures of the oil glass please tell if this is already considered okay? or i still have to remove so more? thanks ps this is already in center stand soo i guess its as accurate as it gets
Still a little to high but your on the right track.

Use a pair of needle nose and you can pull the oil screen up and out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts