BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This news in today. If some states are considering recertification for older riders, then the same should apply to the ancient caddy* driver who hits the gas instead of the brakes while dribbling his/her coffee at the stop light in the morning.

Don't get me started on teenagers with cell phones and a multitude of others that should not be on the road at all......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051126/ap_on_re_us/boomer_bikers

Thoughts?

* Slang for Cadillac

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
If they require it for all vehicles and not just bikes, I'm all for it. There are some morons that just shouldn't be on the road -- blue hairs, dickheads and their cell phones, squids doing 100mph wheelies in traffic, ...

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
No so in the south ...

Razel said:
If they do it for one "group' of highway users (and I'm using the California definition of highway...convers everything but private property in terms of roads), then they do it for all...private cars, trucks, buses, bicycle riders (well, that last one might be a tad difficult...)
It's quite common for neighborhoods, parks ,zoos, and even islands to be "No Motorcycles Allowed" zones. Must be legal, as it happens a lot. I wonder if John Mellencamp misses his Harley when he's at home on Hilton Head?

·
5,163 Posts
Different states must have different rules...and you know how California is. However, here you pay road taxes through registration or fuel purchase. As such, unless it's a safety issue (and I haven't found such a place), publicly maintained roads cannot prohibit motorcycles. Private property, on the otherhand, can do so, as they maintain the road surfaces (like mobile home parks) privately.

And, we get to ride year 'round. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
144 Posts
17 mile drive

The most notorious "No motorcycles allowed" road I know of is the 17 mile drive, in and around the Pebble Beach Golf Course in Monterey. Of course, if I paid $17 mil for a house there, I guess I wouldn't want the, "Loud pipes save lives" crowd blowing by my front door either.

re: re-examinations
3 years ago a blue hair stepped on the gas instead of the brake while waiting in line for the Balboa Island auto ferry on Labor day. She launched her luxomobile into dozens of pedestrians, knocking them into the water of the bay. 22 people hurt, luckily none dead.

And then there was the old guy in Santa Monica who mowed down people at the outdoor market... several dead.

I'm all for retesting... but it should be for every driver over a certain age, regardless of what type of motor vehicle that person chooses to operate.

·
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Razel said:
I was thinking about "17 mile drive" earlier. Toll-road, no "public" funds maintain it (uh huh...).
Don't know how it's handled on the toll roads in Southern California, but I think those are HOV lanes that you can pay to use of you're not considered a carpool.
It is my understanding that the toll roads in So. Cal. are free to motorcyclists at ALL hours, as they are considered a HOV. Much like the Golden Gate Bridge is at certain hours. You DO have to have a transponder for the bike though. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
Bruce C

ps. No motorcycles allowed in the City of Canyon Lake, Ca. A private community of several thousand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Toll roads

NO, you have to PAY for the toll road just like a car. I travel on a toll road to work everyday. The fee for motorcycles is the same as any 2 axle vehicle.

They don't give a break in the fees for motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ride test

I am 66 years of age...bit hot and sweaty at the moment, it is bit after 0630 and I have just finished my 7 k run, 40 push ups etcetera. I think a re test is a great idea. If I have not learned something after 50 years of riding sickles on a daily basis, well I should not be riding.

Or maybe I should be like the Harley rider Sunday; short walk from my joint. His ride partner said he was not looking when the lights changed. Nothing wrong with the truck that came out on the green.....but ! !

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Perhaps when you get to a certain age you renounce your citizenship and become a foreigner on a foreign driving license?

The problem with regulations and testing is not the moral principle, but the opportunity it gives to grow a whole new industry enterprise which we all undoubtedly will have to pay for (but justified on moral grounds)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts