BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed up through Yosemite (Tioga Pass) and then over to Mammoth Lakes. Came back over Hwy108 Sonora Pass. Nice ride but the central valley coming back was very hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those are some of my favorite roads.

I commute in the valley, so I'm used to riding in triple digits, so when I bag a pass I'm one of the few that looks forward to returning to the valley floor so I stop shivering! LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures. I am actually headed to Bishop CA in about three weeks (from San Francisco). My plan is to head out SF through the East Bay and then connect to 120. Follow that through Yosemite and follow Tioga Pass to Lee Vining and then south on 395.

I've probably been in Yosemite three times in my life (I'm 62 and clearly don't get out of the Bay Area much) so my knowledge level is pretty low when it comes to that area. I would assume that it would be pretty warm going through there in mid July, but apparently I might be wrong (judging by the snow in the pictures). What should I expect, weather wise, going through that area?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'sup with the three-legged Isle of Man emblem on the windscreen?
Went there in '13 Great racing and a great place. I did drive the road but in a rental car. Up on the mountain there is no speed limit so I had to be careful of bikes coming up from behind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So, someone told me that due to the current pandemic, they are limiting people in Yosemite and reservations are needed for entrance. There are no reservations on the day I need to travel so I'll be taking an alternate route. Probably 50 - 89 - 395. Should still be fun.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw the signs also when I was riding there. At Mariposa its 22 miles to the entrance. I thought why not try. If I can't get in its a 44 mile ride for nothing...oh well.

I have a NP Pass and when I got to the NP entrance the ranger asked if I had a reservation. No. I said I just wanted to ride through the pass. Ranger asked where I was going. I said Mammoth Lakes. She wrote up a pass for me after noting something from my plates. She said to give this to ranger on the east side. Had a great ride through with few cars. Many people still up at the lakes enjoying the day. Ranger at east side waved me through and did not want the pass.

Best ride I have had through Tioga since the day I rode through as the first vehicle after the pass opened from winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts