BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put money down on a 2006 Dark Slate K1200R. Agonized over whether to get this bike or the S. In the end it came down to a "gut" feeling that I liked this bike better. Plus virtually all my driving will be inside Green Bay so not a lot of touring except occasional trips up to Door County. Finalize the deal on Wednesday and will drive it home then, weather and road conditions permitting. Got ESA, heated grips, luggage rack, ABS and bike for $15,875 (I received a $750 discount). Tax $949.31 ProRace jacket, pants, gloves and Transition boots extra for 15% off. Not the best deal in the world but not the worst. Total is $18,278

That would have been my starting point for the S quite possibly.

Anyway, I hope I made the right decision - my gut says I did. My brain is not as sure.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Congrats. You did good on the price. I didn't even test ride an S. Was not interested. I liked the R's looks.

About an hour and a half ago, I came back from a quick ride on some paved farm roads between Davis and Woodland, California. This was the first ride after the first service and I opened it up. I don't think you will regret the choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pdarke said:
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new bike as much I enjoy my R. Did you test ride both bikes?
Briefly rode the bikes - lots more wind protection on the S, sleeker look. R is rugged and unprotected virtually from the wind. Is it my imaginationor is it easier to handle at slow speeds including parking lot speeds?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good, Welcome!

$15875 for a factory equipped bike like that--good. You did fine on price. Good ATGATT choices as well. Sorry about the tax bite.

Welcome to a world of K1200R riding- different from mostly all other BMW's ever, yet still a part of the same community of riders. Sort of like it might have been for those early buyers of the R90S....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good Choice

Good choice. I did take the time to ride both. I test rode the K1200S and thought it was an outstanding bike. For me it felt extremely refined. Almost Japanese. Best front end ever on a motorcycle. I ended up buying an ST which I liked the riding position better and thought it had more character even if the S had a much better front end.

Then I rode the R...I was hooked. On the same test ride I switched back and forth between the S and the R. For me, it was the R all the way. Others may feel different and I can understand why - the S is a great bike. I just like nakeds better --- hense the log in name.

The R just steers lighter and felt more engaging for me.

You'll have plenty of fun. This thing is loaded with raw power everywhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NakedRider said:
The R just steers lighter and felt more engaging for me.

You'll have plenty of fun. This thing is loaded with raw power everywhere.
I'm looking forward to just that!

·
Registered
251 Posts
bjoraker said:
Just put money down on a 2006 Dark Slate K1200R. Agonized over whether to get this bike or the S. In the end it came down to a "gut" feeling that I liked this bike better. Plus virtually all my driving will be inside Green Bay so not a lot of touring except occasional trips up to Door County. Finalize the deal on Wednesday and will drive it home then, weather and road conditions permitting. Got ESA, heated grips, luggage rack, ABS and bike for $15,875 (I received a $750 discount). Tax $949.31 ProRace jacket, pants, gloves and Transition boots extra for 15% off. Not the best deal in the world but not the worst. Total is $18,278

That would have been my starting point for the S quite possibly.

Anyway, I hope I made the right decision - my gut says I did. My brain is not as sure.
Congratulations...I too chose the R after looking at the S carefully - in the end it came down to the more relaxed riding position. I can see how the R with the Ceebailey's shield and handguards will be a competent sport touring bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
r looks cool.....but

Just saw the K-R, that is something else! Went to the MPLS show last weekend and wandered back and forth between the DUK classic 1000s and that damn KR...is there anything else really to look at? Sure MVs make your mouth water and the Victory girl, ahem, bikes...I mean if you're older than 40 (sorry if offend), you just can't hop a K-S or a Yam R1; am I wrong?

Anyway, if one is going to have a second, seems the KR (aside from the f-ing lights - nasty on the 3rd or 4th look) is the way to go!..But 2 BMs in one garage (sorry if offend)?

Here's one's chance to buy an oddball alternative, dependability and buzzing and who-knows-what-else, aside....but, then again....that KR must handle like a dream; BIKE magazine which I read religiously seems to think its gearbox is clunky and other small problems, but overall, he just couldn't wait to thump it each time aboard...

Then again, there's that cool DUK Paul Smart fairing, etc...

Like my shop buddy said recently, always can tell when there's a new girl in school...
Be well all, snow's gone soon....(sorry if offend).

·
Registered
54 Posts
R handling

You will love the handling on the R. Did a track day last summer. My R and a very good rider on the S at Mid-Ohio race course. He would take me on the straights but I wold catch up in the twisties. Until you're over 120 the R is a great ride.

The lack of wind protection helps restrain the wrist.

Did you buy it from Nick's? Seems like a great dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes,I got it from Nick's. Very friendly and a fun place to visit and chew the fat. Am enjoying the heck out of this bike! Getting cold again and hard to get out:(

·
Registered
504 Posts
link said:
JI mean if you're older than 40 (sorry if offend), you just can't hop a K-S or a Yam R1; am I wrong?
Gee, I'm over 40 and I seem to able to "hop a K-S" (and a bunch of other things). Maybe not if you're over 70 (sorry if offend)...

·
Registered
93 Posts
sincGT said:
Gee, I'm over 40 and I seem to able to "hop a K-S" (and a bunch of other things). Maybe not if you're over 70 (sorry if offend)...
Congrats to you and your yoga instructor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my K12r back in December. Traded my k12lte. I tested everything they had thinking I was going to get and r12. I got on the K12r and it was love at first sight. Smoooooth, handling, speed speed, this bike had it all. I love it more each time I ride it.

Oh and by the way, I am way over 40!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Too old

Got mine in August. I keep breaking the toe sliders on my SIDI boots, however. I hold the bike responsible. If I didn't trust it when I was leaning all the way over I wouldn't keep breaking my sliders. Now my winter boots are wearing out as well.

I'm 52. Probably too old for the bike. Ya, that's probably it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts