BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Amtrack 750 miles from home to pick up a 07 KGT. I was wondering what tools I will need to take along to adjust the handlebars if I do not like the position. Or do they come with a tool kit. Thanks for sharing on this forum It is one of the reasons I decided on a KGT.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
It's got a couple of Torx wrenches under the seat and a reversible screwdriver. Might take the larger Torx wrench. I'd get a short length of 3/8" ID pipe (10" or 12" should do) to slip over it as it isn't very long to get a grip on and BMW has this fetish about torque and lots of LockTight. Shouldn't need anything else other than helmet and suitable clothing for the run back. Oh, and a cell phone in case with the BMW help line or some towing number (like Auto Club with M/C rider added).

You could always add some tire kit like the "Stop-n-Go" ones with a small compressor with the BMW plug or the CO2 route with 6 cylinders.

Enjoy the ride home! :clap:

Mack

·
Registered
331 Posts
The handlebar adjustment torx wrench on my bike was so far out of tolerance it would hardly fit the bolts. It was like the worst and cheapest Asian made tools you can buy. I just managed to coax it into loosening the bolts but I bought my own to include in the tool kit and this makes it a lot easier.

There is no need for any other tools because there is basically nothing you can do on the side of the road to fix anything. You just need the BMW Roadside Assistance phone number!!. So far in nearly two years (including the previous owner's 5 months) and 30,000km of riding I have never had to use it and not had any problem that actually stops the bike. The EWS failure would be about the only common thing that could leave you stranded and yours should have that fixed already, one would hope.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Small piece of pipe? CO2 cylinders? Good thing he's taking a train and not flying. :)

You shouldn't really need anything for the ride home except your helmet and gear. And lots of gas money as you're likely to end up detouring the long way home, just because you can. :D

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
loxxy said:
The cell phone option is not very confidence inspiring.
Hey, beats my toolkit which includes a Sata MiniJet spray gun, a pint of paint, a compressor, a bunch of sandpaper, and a quart of Bondo. :wtf:

Keeping Hammersley BMW parts on the cell's speed-dial is certainly easier. :thumb:

Ya's never know where your gonna find the thing resting on its side! The GT just likes to sleep sometimes - although it seems like mine's becoming an annual event. :rant:

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
loxxy said:
I am taking Amtrack 750 miles from home to pick up a 07 KGT. I was wondering what tools I will need to take along to adjust the handlebars if I do not like the position. Or do they come with a tool kit. Thanks for sharing on this forum It is one of the reasons I decided on a KGT.
Man and I thought I was in the middle of nowhere. What dealer are you buying the bike from and using using for service if you're taking Amtrak to get the bike? Seems like Sturgis is closet to you but that's not 750 miles away. What about your 600 mile service? You doing all the work yourself?

If you're coming west you'll be going right through Troy. I'll wave as you go by my house! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
loxxy said:
The cell phone option is not very confidence inspiring.
You need the cell phone to call your wife/SO, to let her know that you've encountered unanticipated detours. Tell her to expect you home in a few days... :tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My closest dealer is Sturgis 350 miles away.I am buying it used from Minneapolis area. I really did not want to buy a new one being I am so far from a dealer. I figured if I bought one with 12000 miles on it the kinks should be worked out.It has had the airbox and download done.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
loxxy said:
I am buying it used from Minneapolis area. I really did not want to buy a new one being I am so far from a dealer. I figured if I bought one with 12000 miles on it the kinks should be worked out.It has had the airbox and download done.
750 miles on a new bike should be fun.

I've bought two bikes this way. One from a guy in San Diego which was a 500 mile ride to get it home, and one from a guy in Detroit which was a 2700 mile ride home. For the first one I found a dealer close to the seller and took it there for a used bike inspection and oil change that was contingent on the deal, for the second the bike had just been serviced and I knew the guy a little better (from bulletin boards) so I didn't bother.

I think 12000 miles is a service interval (oil change at least) for the KGT, so this could be a good excuse to get it into a dealer in the Minneapolis area as part of the deal and have them do a thorough inspection before you ride it home.

Hey, I'm going to be riding a similar route in about a month, heading back home from Wisconsin, around August 9-16. Do you think the Sturgis crowd will have cleared out by then? I was figuring to head through Badlands, Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, before looping up around Boise and then heading home. Any recommendations on good roads through there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A great ride is fron Cody WY. on the chief joseph hwy and then down the beartooth pass to Red lodge MT. And then turn around and take the beartooth back again to Cooke city to Yellowstone. The bike was made for this ride.See you out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As others have said, there is a torx under the seat for the handle bars, but it is a T45 if you want to get a better one. I have a set of the T handle variety for garage use plus torx bits for my drill that are handy to take the tupperware off.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
blaine said:
As others have said, there is a torx under the seat for the handle bars, but it is a T45 if you want to get a better one. I have a set of the T handle variety for garage use plus torx bits for my drill that are handy to take the tupperware off.
These are very compact and easy to use:

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?action=PROD&PROD=MK-PHTRX66&CTMP=1

Note: Some people don't like ZDMAK, but I had no problems with them. You can find the exact same tools for less on eBay - search for "torx pivotal"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts