BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 rs with luggage rack. what are my options for a hard lockable top cases. i can't seem to find anything. any tips would be greatly appreciated. i looked at pirates site. bmw motorrad and ascycles and found nothing rs specific. can i use things that mount on the rt?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ditto what Dan said:)

I also got a luggage rack (after reading a post from Dan) from Recchi Motos and I installed a RT topcase. It works great and while not having the capacity of some Givi Topcases, it fits in with the style of the bike better. Had mine painted to match the bike and it looks like stock.

I have attached some photos for your enjoyment.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes it does look stock, very nice!

Warning -- topic drift:
What running light setup are you using -- is it the Kisan SignalMinder?
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4
And if so, did you use the SM-5 or the SM-6 for your GT? I assume I would use the same one on my '03 RS.​
Now back to the original topic...
Nice rack! :D

Hanshi said:
Ditto what Dan said:)

I also got a luggage rack (after reading a post from Dan) from Recchi Motos and I installed a RT topcase. It works great and while not having the capacity of some Givi Topcases, it fits in with the style of the bike better. Had mine painted to match the bike and it looks like stock.

I have attached some photos for your enjoyment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats cool. thanks for the info...

but i have a sweet luggage rack on my rs already. is there anything available for that? i find it odd that there are so few options for me. or at least so hard to find them....

your bikes look SCHWEET!

·
Registered
486 Posts
BMW topcase

31-LiterTop Case
Tough PVC construction reinforced with an aluminum
edge on top and bottom lids secures your gear and protects it from the elements.
Requires mounting kit. Lock cylinder not included. Top case available in two colors:
Black 71 60 7 681 189
White Aluminum 71 60 7 693 702
Lock Cylinder (required) 51 25 7 688 839
Mounting Adapter Kit 71 60 7 680 821

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
kperson said:
Yes it does look stock, very nice!

Warning -- topic drift:
What running light setup are you using -- is it the Kisan SignalMinder?
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4
And if so, did you use the SM-5 or the SM-6 for your GT? I assume I would use the same one on my '03 RS.​
Now back to the original topic...
Nice rack! :D

Thanks for the compliment on "my rack" :)

I do use the Kisan Signal Minder so that my turn signals double as running lights. The top case light is set up as an extra brake light. I purchased a 1' long LED light and mounted it to the top case. I have a plug which comes out the bottom of the top case which can be disconnected when I remove the top case.

Take care.

·
Registered
408 Posts
kperson said:
Do you remember if you ordered the SM-5 or the SM-6?
Sorry I do not remember which model number it was - got it around 2 1/2 years ago. Got it through my BMW Dealer - Hermey's in Port Clinton, PA - great dealer and great service. I'm sure if you check with your dealer, they can let you know which one to select.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Checked on the web site for the Signal Minder and they have a applications page. If you go to: "http://www.kisantech.com/application.php" you can see which model will work for your bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hanshi said:
Checked on the web site for the Signal Minder and they have a applications page. If you go to: "http://www.kisantech.com/application.php" you can see which model will work for your bike.
I just found that page and ordered what I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Save yourself a ton of $$$$ and go to www.jcwhitney.com and get the 31L top case they have there. its 60 bucks I think, and is just as sturdy as a Givi. I've used one for 4 years and its held up great. The mounting plate for the topcase will attach directly to the luggage rack on a K1200rs.

Tarren Shaw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tarren,

Did a search and woke up an old thread, but if you are still around...thank you for the suggestion on the top case. I am not after an industrial quality piece of luggage, and I think the large ones from Givi do not match the styling of the bike, and the RT retrofit would be overkill for my riding patterns. This one looks surprisingly good, and should do the trick for the price.

bugman98 said:
Save yourself a ton of $$$$ and go to www.jcwhitney.com and get the 31L top case they have there. its 60 bucks I think, and is just as sturdy as a Givi. I've used one for 4 years and its held up great. The mounting plate for the topcase will attach directly to the luggage rack on a K1200rs.

Tarren Shaw

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice, and you got lucky with the bike color.
My wife will not get on the bike, and my storage needs are less. Having ordered the cheap-o knockoff....I now remembered that anything from JCWhitney is always on a perpetual backorder, so I guess I get what I pay for...
I will take a pic, if and when it comes in.

Badbear07 said:
I have the GIVI on my 2000 RS - it looks great and has the pad - wife loves having it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Can Givi mount on 'stock' plate?

Badbear, I have the BMW rack plate. Would the GIVI box(es) mount onto it securely? I assume it would be a drill and bolt set up as it would be with the JCWhitney versions, etc....

·
Registered
20 Posts
a year ago I got a top box from BMW for my 2004 GT, so same as the RS. It has the small ali rack on the back. The top box is small, just big enough for one full face lid. It has a clip on the base to mount straight onto the existing rack so works great for me comuting everyday. I had to get the locks to go with it but you tailor them for work with your ignition key, one to lock the box, one to lock the box to the bike. Came in silver. I will see if the stickers inside it with the part number on it. Only downside, it's not as strong a fix as say a givi set up so can't be used as a back rest. I ride solo so not an issue but if i was carrying a lazy pillion a lot, i'd go for a givi or alike.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
If you are looking at the larger cases around 47 liters (2 helmets) and use the case like I do, there may be times when you go to the grocery store and fill it up with cans (of beer!).

The oem rack has a history of people overloading it and shearing off screws - the weight loading for the Givi case and its mounting is far superior. Also, you are able to unhook the top case when you don't want it on the bike.

The Givi mount is molded ABS, but gets its strength from the attachment hardware.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts