BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Probably, German engineering being what it is.

However my local dealer suggests using the small "L" shaped key which comes in the extensive under-seat tool kit ;) then just tightening them hand tight. The screws are steel and fasten into steel clips. They should not shake loose but the clips could get broken if over tightened. Not a major expense... but inconvenient.

I have followed that advice since July and do not find fault with it.

Sure someone who owns a proper repair manual will post the actual facts and figures, but just offer my tuppence worth so you are not stuck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ManfredH said:
Are you sure you want to tighten those screws with a torque wrench?? Don't you think you're going over the top?
Somewhere in my past I acquired a screwdriver torque wrench. Uses those cute little hex tips which are available in any config. So load up the torx tip and go. No different than a straight screwdriver and ya no its purfek.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
romoshka said:
Somewhere in my past I acquired a screwdriver torque wrench. Uses those cute little hex tips which are available in any config. So load up the torx tip and go. No different than a straight screwdriver and ya no its purfek.

I too have a screw driver torque wrench and if the screws have a value I'm gonna use it! Over the top, well yes, but I have the satisfaction of knowing they are all tightened the same. Just a little anal I guess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally Posted by k1200sforme
Just a little anal I guess.

CDPerry said:
Nah, yah think..............................
Ah, c'mon. I bet there are not more than 1 or 2 folks that qualify as anal in the K12 world.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
romoshka said:
Originally Posted by k1200sforme
Just a little anal I guess.

Ah, c'mon. I bet there are not more than 1 or 2 folks that qualify as anal in the K12 world.
It is a pre-requisite to buy a K12, you must be anal or your purchase will be denied.

·
Registered
26 Posts
rickd said:
It is a pre-requisite to buy a K12, you must be anal or your purchase will be denied.

I dunno bout that, on my 5 bimmer and I lost the anal bug on or about the 3rd one.

(Christ people, we're talking plastic body panel fasteners........!!!!)

"We don't need no stinkin" - torque specs for that!

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
CDPerry said:
I dunno bout that, on my 5 bimmer and I lost the anal bug on or about the 3rd one.
WOW! And they still let you buy one? I'm still using an allen wrench on those suckers.
Never knew they were Torx.

·
Registered
26 Posts
rickd said:
WOW! And they still let you buy one? I'm still using an allen wrench on those suckers.
Never knew they were Torx.

Thought once you took the panels off ya just duct tape em back on................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts