BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience touring on the R? Thinking of moving from my GT to the R (a radical move I know) given most of my riding is commuting on back roads and short weekend jaunts...but I'm wondering how the bike would be on a more extended road trip, say travelling 3 or 400 miles per day over a week? The ergos seem good, I'm wondering more about the wind blast. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I was going to ride 400 miles in a day, I would prefer your GT or my former K12RS. The gearing and a naked bike make for long days in the saddle IMHO. That said, I did see a post indicating a Cee Bailey windshield was available for the R which would make it a tougher call.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recall that post just can't find it. When looking at the site a recall a link with an R that had S bags a tank bag and tail bag with high fairing, looked good!

Eric

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The R I'm looking at has the larger tinted screen, not the stock fly screen. Think that would make much of a difference?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Well I did 500 + miles in one day from Death Valley to Sacramento a few weeks back. temps from a low of 36 to a high of 50 degrees F.

I decided to put the Evoluzione peg lowering kit on after the ride. The ride itself was fine and I used the short screen. having a heated liner and handguards helped a lot. As far as comfort, after 180 miles I would need to stop for gas so the timing for a break was perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too

plan on doing some long distance sport touring on my KR, have a Marsee tank bag and soft panniers that I prefitted and did a long sunday ride to test the setup- I too have the A/C Schnitzter fairing and KTM 950 handguards which provides very adequate wind protection- also have the Evo peg lowering kit (I'm 6'2") which makes it much more comfortable for me. Added a BMW accessory plug just under the handlebar on the left side which I too use a heated jacket. Recently installed the Kaoko throttle control but have not had the chance to test but already know they work well. I use a Garmin 276C and XM radio mounted via ram mounts on the handlebars- just ordered and hope to receive shortly Pirate's new radar detector mount (I use a Passport 8500 on this bike). I can post a pic of my bike with the gear if anyone wanted to see the end result

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ignore Amos, how do you like the ram mount set up for you xm radio? I would like to know if it stays secure (tight) after several miles. I have a roady xt that I would like to mount and was thinking about using that setup.

Where did you end up mounting the antenna?

·
Registered
2 Posts
touring on K 12 R

I ride double with wife quite a bit, had the risers installed, and low seat. It rides just great with full face helmet could do many, many miles. The real fun, though, is those short, quick, burst that just make you smile every mile

·
Registered
2 Posts
K 12 r touring

JimD said:
I ride double with wife quite a bit, had the risers installed, and low seat. It rides just great with full face helmet could do many, many miles. The real fun, though, is those short, quick, burst that just make you smile every mile

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ram mounts work well

I just rode approx 1500 miles 50% off road in Mexico last week on my KTM 950 and have my GPS and Roady mounted via RAM mounts- no problems what so ever, one thing I do on my KTM (s) when off road is put a teather on the GPS just in case, but not needed on the Roady-

Here's a shot of the 276C and Roady on the KR as I'd see them

and the the ugliest touring setup that only a mother could love....

One more view from the rear quarter...I know the Dualsport tankbags looks all wrong but it's what I had extra at the time and the functionality is surprising good (but I'll probably replace it with something better suited for the style of the bike)

The XM antenna is(magnitically) mounted to a bracket sold just for the Roady which then has a ball mounted on the back for the Ram arm to mount to- I can take a close up if you'd like.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A fine looking steed. Couple of questions...is that the A/C Schnitzter fairing on the bike? Doesn't look much different than the BMW item to my eye. The bike looks all black. Did you custom paint it? Are the hand guards really necessary? Ok, that's actually 3 questions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Risers?

JimD said:
Hi Jim,

I'm surprised you would need risers given how high the handle bars already are. Actually I looked in the back of "Motorcyclist" and noticed the rise of the KR bars to be greater than any other bike listed!

How fast are you normally riding? How many miles are we talking?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Famous Amos, your bike looks good. I saw it in back of Ironhorse Tuseday after I rode their 2005 blue S. That yellow R looked great also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanx for the pics and info on the ram mounting for the xm. Nice looking ride. I like the looks of the soft luggage you have there, never been a fan of hard bags. You can stuff a lot of cargo in that bag combination.

·
Registered
121 Posts
sincGT said:
A fine looking steed. Couple of questions...is that the A/C Schnitzter fairing on the bike? Doesn't look much different than the BMW item to my eye. The bike looks all black. Did you custom paint it? Are the hand guards really necessary? Ok, that's actually 3 questions.
It is the A/C Schnitzer headlight cover and it along with the handguard do very well as additional wind protection (much better the almost non-existant stock screen) No paint, My local dealer traded me for the silver plastics off my bike for the graphite plastic off one of his..mines now graphite w/ a black fram and he has a silver/silver bike on his showroom-

·
Registered
251 Posts

Here are the three Ceebaileys shields. I ordered the Euro for mine; I think that with handguards it will make a fine touring machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my concession so far to touring capability. A motech tankbag and a givi top case. Schnitzer fairing on the way. Undecided on what to do about side bags at this point....

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Amos,

Where did you get your Roady RAM mount and what part number was it?

I was hoping to get one of those clutch/brake cover RAM mounts like they have for the older BMWs, but I can't seem to find such a product for the new reservoir shape of the new Ks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mark,

Found that picture from BMW I was talking about with all bags. Also here is a list of accesories from BMW, delaer had no idea all of these were available. Its in French but part # are bilingual!.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.fr/produits/roadster/k1200r/index.html
click on accessoires de moto

Should I get the R i would go for the S bags and top case would stick with the Bagster tank bag and tank cover.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts