BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the need to tow a K1200RS. Where is the best point to tie on? (Just in case)

Colin
2000 K1200RS Pacific Blue

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would never tow it. Too dangerous! Safer and cheaper in the long run would be to transport it e.g. trailer,or pickup.

Regards,
Oldtimer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bandera said:
I've attached a document that should get you started. You'll need to invest in some straps.

Well the pdf file was too large. I'll try txt file next.

Or, you can go here.
Thanks for the link! I'm going to print out a copy of this and keep it with my tool kit just in case I need to educate the tow truck driver.

I did have mine towed once. I was 50 miles from the dealer on the very day I bought it and I got stuck. The tow truck driver was a decent guy, but I don't think he knew exactly how to tie it down (hooked onto the ends of the bars and cranked down tight). I was a bit nervous about it, but at the same time I was pissed that it died after 2 hours of ownership and was half hoping it would have fallen off and been dumped on the side of I-97. It wasn't my happiest day...

·
Registered
362 Posts
James has some good close pictures of tie down points, but I could not find them.
James, are you out there?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Without a wheel chock, a strap like the canyon dancer insures the forks don't shift/turn. I would not, however, recommend them as the primary tie-down, as they do put pressure against the turn signal buttons and could do damage. Used with straps as shown in the pics above makes for a good, stable bike.

The service manual shows the rear tie-down points are the frame members that come back to support the side cases. I'll have to check the grab rail (as shown in the pics above) as an alternative next time.

Anyone tie down the tires to the trailer? Always thought that was a must-do.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Do you need to hold the tire down ?

No, you do not need to.
You can lose one strap and its still together ( when its two bikes ), they are planted as one with the trailer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Towing A K1200RS

That was good, I now know how to tie her down. But I was thinking when I'm crossing a desert, 600 miles from nowhere travelling with another person who is driving a car - the bike breaks down, cannot fix. You know if you went to the next town and if luckly enough, found a trailer to use - by the time you get back to the bike - it would be gone! You would not want to stay in the desert for 12 hours. That's why I thought it would be good to know how to tow.

Colin

·
Registered
362 Posts
My wife made soft ties that we carry. (Nylon strap with a loop on both ends) These would be handy if we brake down and someone shows up with a trailer and ties with big old nasty metal hooks.
They would also help for ferry crossings.
Those little pieces of terry cloth in James pictures would help protect the paint also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JamesTexas said:
No, you do not need to.
You can lose one strap and its still together ( when its two bikes ), they are planted as one with the trailer.

As one with the trailer...................................... that sounds so, so, Zen. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
lots of various ways to haul a bike site

ColB101 said:
That was good, I now know how to tie her down. But I was thinking when I'm crossing a desert, 600 miles from nowhere travelling with another person who is driving a car - the bike breaks down, cannot fix. You know if you went to the next town and if luckly enough, found a trailer to use - by the time you get back to the bike - it would be gone! You would not want to stay in the desert for 12 hours. That's why I thought it would be good to know how to tow.

Colin
I found this link but it scares the crap out of me to think about trying to haul my K1200RS 600 miles on it.

http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/caddy1.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
a NO NO

Caution!

Do not use the passenger foot peg support structure to attach the rear tie downs to. They are constructed out of a fairly light weight casting, and are not stressed to support lateral loads.

Bob in Bradford
02 K12RS
94 FLHTCU
Kubota M9000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts