BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New for 2007 is the option # 530, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) package. It lists for $260, but is not part of either of the Equipment Packages (It’s a stand-alone option).

In an earlier thread on the new ABS II (that is also coming out for ’07), the discussion turned to the TPM and the possibility of retrofitting 2006 GTs, or even '07 bikes without the option, to include the system. I would like to start this new thread to continue that discussion, along with other thoughts on the TPM system.

I thought this might of interest to some of the ’06 owners, and I hate to lose the exposure because it was buried in a thread of a different subject.

So Joe, you said something about pictures of the TPM display?...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it is cool technology I guess.. but I would think a retrofit might require different wheels. How do they measure the tire pressure and transmit that data to the computer?

·
Registered
68 Posts
has nothing to do with the wheels
it's all in the valve stem covers... like most aftermarket systems

the computer (and..... you MUST have already bought it, or it won't work) will "see" the data from those valve stem covers

·
Registered
838 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:

the computer (and..... you MUST have already bought it, or it won't work) will "see" the data from those valve stem covers

Greg,

My understanding in this case is that the sensors/transmitters mount to the inside of the rim where the valve stem is located. Not like most aftermarket systems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
so, to retro fit this system....
they need to REMOVE THE TIRES and mount the system inside the rims?

·
Registered
838 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
so, to retro fit this system....
they need to REMOVE THE TIRES and mount the system inside the rims?
That is my understanding.

·
Registered
68 Posts
thanks
i appreciate it

·
Registered
66 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:

This reminds me of a South Park episode where the underpants gnomes go forth and collect underpants as part of a 3 step plan.

Step 1.. Collect Underpants
Step 2 ????
Step 3 Profit!

So with the TPM system:

Step 1: TPM sensors added to tires/wheels
Step 2: ????
Step 3: The Computer knows about it.

As far as I know the built in computer on the bike does not have BlueTooth functionality--so how do you get the data from the wheels to the computer?

-mark=

·
The Gov
660 Posts
MarkMGT said:
This reminds me of a South Park episode where the underpants gnomes go forth and collect underpants as part of a 3 step plan.

Step 1.. Collect Underpants
Step 2 ????
Step 3 Profit!

So with the TPM system:

Step 1: TPM sensors added to tires/wheels
Step 2: ????
Step 3: The Computer knows about it.

As far as I know the built in computer on the bike does not have BlueTooth functionality--so how do you get the data from the wheels to the computer?

-mark=
Only guessing, but there are a bunch of connectors under the seat and left fairing that aren't used that I can only assume are for the extra farkle, such as TPM, the anti theft system etc. There is probably a second side of it that has to be mounted to the bike and connect into the ZFE.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So my daughters Nissan Titan 2006 (spoiled 17 year old brat) has a tire preasure monitor built in. My understanding its transmitted from a sensor inside the rim. I also belive these will be required my 2009 or some such on most cars in the US. Something about underinflated tires waste gas........

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
hazard said:
So my daughters Nissan Titan 2006 (spoiled 17 year old brat) has a tire preasure monitor built in. My understanding its transmitted from a sensor inside the rim. I also belive these will be required my 2009 or some such on most cars in the US. Something about underinflated tires waste gas........
i have it on my nissan armada/same as the titan
it's saved me ON MANY AN OCCASION...... as it has on my wife's Lincoln Aviator
i will DEFINITELY have it on my '07 GT...... but angry that i'll have to spend hundreds MORE because my salesperson didn't know it could be attached to my order of my week 32 bike

·
Registered
433 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i have it on my nissan armada/same as the titan
it's saved me ON MANY AN OCCASION...... as it has on my wife's Lincoln Aviator
i will DEFINITELY have it on my '07 GT...... but angry that i'll have to spend hundreds MORE because my salesperson didn't know it could be attached to my order of my week 32 bike

When did you order your bike? DId you have any say on what went on it? I went in early July, and was told by the salesguy, as he was logged into a dealer BMW page, "that the first set of bikes they could not change at that point." Or maybe he said "the first of his allotment he never has much input on what they came with."

Mine also is in transit and is due in on 8/28, same ship as yours I beleive. He said I could wait and get a bike later, or just pencil me in now.... I don't want to wait, I figure the 2 extra months of riding during our best time of year is worth a lot more than a missed option....

The bike I am suppose to get is the Grey, with the ESA, Computer heated seats, grips..... Pretty much what I wanted except I wanted tall windshield again, not worht the wait.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hazard said:
When did you order your bike? DId you have any say on what went on it? I went in early July, and was told by the salesguy, as he was logged into a dealer BMW page, "that the first set of bikes they could not change at that point." Or maybe he said "the first of his allotment he never has much input on what they came with."

Mine also is in transit and is due in on 8/28, same ship as yours I beleive. He said I could wait and get a bike later, or just pencil me in now.... I don't want to wait, I figure the 2 extra months of riding during our best time of year is worth a lot more than a missed option....

The bike I am suppose to get is the Grey, with the ESA, Computer heated seats, grips..... Pretty much what I wanted except I wanted tall windshield again, not worht the wait.
i'm in EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT AS YOU.....
literally and figuratively
the Ever Decent has ALREADY docked in NYC harbor
yes....
i got OPTION PACKAGE 2.... with no chance to change that
not happy that i'll spend at least $500.00 to get the $260.00 TPM option
but....
such is life

·
Registered
117 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i got OPTION PACKAGE 2.... with no chance to change that
not happy that i'll spend at least $500.00 to get the $260.00 TPM option
but....
such is life
Greg,

Don't know if the US models work to a different timetable (unclear why they would with all the bikes coming from the same factory), but when I ordered my GT, which is arriving at the dealer next week, I specifically enquired about the TPM option. I was told that it could not be pre-ordered before the END of August, and that the dealers did not even have the cost option details. I was led to believe that BMW were not accepting orders for TPM inclusion until after this deadline, but that bikes ordered/delivered before the end of Aug could have them fitted as a retro upgrade (i.e. the computer would accept the input from the sensors). It therefore seems unlikely that you could have got them included when you originally ordered the bike (unless your dealer has definitely told you something different).

As a side note, regarding delivery dates, I have just found out that because I have requested a custom plate (personal reg no) it will take another 4-5 days before my bike will be available for use, because all the paperwork has to be done by post - that means there are going to be teethmarks in the furniture, knowing that the bike is sitting in the dealers, but can't be picked up until possibly as late as 5th Sep. :banghead As least you'll get your bike within a couple of days of its arrival Greg, so count your blessings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chrisdy said:
Greg,

Don't know if the US models work to a different timetable (unclear why they would with all the bikes coming from the same factory), but when I ordered my GT, which is arriving at the dealer next week, I specifically enquired about the TPM option. I was told that it could not be pre-ordered before the END of August, and that the dealers did not even have the cost option details. I was led to believe that BMW were not accepting orders for TPM inclusion until after this deadline, but that bikes ordered/delivered before the end of Aug could have them fitted as a retro upgrade (i.e. the computer would accept the input from the sensors). It therefore seems unlikely that you could have got them included when you originally ordered the bike (unless your dealer has definitely told you something different).

As a side note, regarding delivery dates, I have just found out that because I have requested a custom plate (personal reg no) it will take another 4-5 days before my bike will be available for use, because all the paperwork has to be done by post - that means there are going to be teethmarks in the furniture, knowing that the bike is sitting in the dealers, but can't be picked up until possibly as late as 5th Sep. :banghead As least you'll get your bike within a couple of days of its arrival Greg, so count your blessings.

well, chris
congrats on the bike
living in florida.... a long way from NYC.... but not as far away as california :)
i still won't see my bike for 2 more weeks, at the very least

i'll let you know
good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Greg,

I see that there are definite benefits to living in a small country... :) As least you have your other new toy to keep you amused while you are waiting. Let's hope they both arrive while we still have some decent weather left to ride 'em.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Chrisdy said:
Greg,

I see that there are definite benefits to living in a small country... :) As least you have your other new toy to keep you amused while you are waiting. Let's hope they both arrive while we still have some decent weather left to ride 'em.
ahhhhhh
and that is the ONE great thing about florida (and there aren't that many, from a motorcycling standpoint....
we ride 12 months a year :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
ahhhhhh
and that is the ONE great thing about florida (and there aren't that many, from a motorcycling standpoint....
we ride 12 months a year :)
Well, here on the south coast of the UK, I can also ride 12 months a year. It's just that half of it isn't quite as much fun as the other half. However, given the changeability of the weather here, TPMs are a great leap forward compared to trying to check pressures on wet and muddy tyres with a vertical valve stem hidden behind the disks ;) I shall definitely be upgrading, irrespective of costs, once it becomes available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts