BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been letting my first track day settle into my memory a little while and am ready to share a bit of my experience.

I have recently returned to motorcycling after a 20 year hiatus. I have had my K1300GT for 2 years and decided to give my older brother his first track day experience for his 50th birthday. Ok...it was a bit self serving as it was also my first track day too. He has an R1100RS.

We are both in the Columbia, Md area so I signed us up for Roger Lyles' Motorcycle Excitement at Summit Point, WV in mid May 2014. Being relatively close to us, we rose early from our own beds and commuted there for the day, I trailered my bike with a pickup and my brother rode there. We wanted to be sure that we could get the bikes home if we had a mechanical problem or crash.

Roger runs a very good operation. We wisely signed up for the novice group even though we both grew up riding dirt bikes and have a fair amount of street riding experience.

Our goals for the day were simple, don't crash, don't break anything, go fast and have fun.

I can proudly say that we were 100% successful with our goals!!!

I have from time to time stretched the legs of the K1300GT on the street a few times, pushing into triple digits...110 or 115 but had to roll off as it really isn't safe in the areas I usually get to ride in.

At the track, I was able to unleash the monster within (both me and the bike). I was able to push into corners like I never could on the street. I was also able to push the speed where I hadn't gone before. To be honest....I'm not sure what I got the speedo up to...I'm pretty sure 135 or 140. At that speed on the long straightaway, I could only glance at it very briefly before I felt compelled to focus back on the road and a sharp right hand turn approaching all too quickly. What a fine machine!!

A month later, I can tell you that I feel more comfortable riding on the street knowing what my motorcycle is capable of doing. I also am probably riding a bit slower and more conservatively since I no longer am curious about what it can do....ok, I'm still curious but know that I need to be on the track to do it safely.

I would highly recommend a track day for anyone no matter what they ride. You will learn a lot about your bike and yourself. I'm seriously considering signing up for another track day this fall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent. I spent years racing cars and said when I bought my bike I would not go down the same (expensive) path. But I am getting the bug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts