BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just watched this Dave Moss Video on handlebar ergonomics. Looked like a great idea to make my K12RS fit me a little better, until I realized the angle of the bars is fixed and can't (easily) be changed so that my knuckles are parallel with the grip as per Dave. So the questions are:

1. Is this only important for racing and not much help for normal road application?
2. Would bar-backs fix this? Is it worthwhile doing?
3. After examining my grips, it looks like I could rotate my bars outward by drilling another hole for the lock pin. Is that a bad idea?
4. Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
. Is this only important for racing and not much help for normal road application?

Proper body position, arm position and foot position is important for all motorcycle types riding.

2. Would bar-backs fix this? Is it worthwhile doing?

If you are riding a K12S or K13S there is no bar backs mounting afforded. You may buy Heli Bars or a similar product to change bar height and rotation, but it will not sweep back the angle of bars.

What you are comfortable riding is something you must experience at a club, ride-in, rally or some good friends you hook up with from the forums. Ride they're bikes and satisfy your desires before hacking your bike.

3. After examining my grips, it looks like I could rotate my bars outward by drilling another hole for the lock pin. Is that a bad idea?

Again, hacking your bike by removing material from a bar, triple clamp, or clamp-ons is not usually wise.

4. Anything I'm missing here?

You are not missing anything, Dave Moss sells infomercials. He's in business just like everyone else to make money. At a track, all of us who compete for fun or money go to track or racing school.

Learn your riding style, research your machine from Tire speed ratings and loads to correct Spring Rates and dampening. Exercise and Cross train via off road bicycling or dirt biking.

But for the love of Mike, The Gods of Powersports, and to be a better rider/racer.....training, training and more training.! Not tips from U tube or infomercials

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts