BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so has anyone ever produced a trailer hitch for the K100's?

I just brought my 6ft whitewater kayak back to Portugal with me and I have only the bike for transport. a trailer would be pretty keen for a boat, no?

alternatively, how much strength is there in the rubber seated crashbar mount in the front of the engine? or is that for a sidecar mount? I've considered a rack mounted there to hold the front of the boat alongside, along with something in the back.

any thoughts? :wtf:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had this vision of a sidecar made out of a kayak! Heck, add a pontoon on the other side, and the sidecar passenger can paddle when you hit the water. :popcorn: But I think the easiest thing would be to get an inflatable kayak.

Other than that, DMC in Washington State makes some... in the US, you can weld on the bike frame (** remove the fuel injection Komputer first! **) and nobody asks questions; things may be different for you in Portugal.

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/hitch-pages/bmwhitches.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pursued the idea of a sidecar for this issue before but in this case I think high and tight on the right side is best. I think I can tuck the tail in at the front to avoid catching in the wind, and strap the nose into the back well leaving me room for my leg to go down at stops.

So those bolts on the engine aren't for a sidecar?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we don't need to steen-king side car... :wtf:

:rotf:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's not as low as it looks in that pic actually...

:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes!!

that's why we humans are the top bananas.

:teeth

Now I'm thinking about getting one both sides then looking for chances to low-side it and sliiiiide stylishly to a stop a couple of miles up the road. Mount a kettle on the fuel tank, I could brew-up along the way, then hop off the stricken bike with a mug of tea on the go, all casual like.

you, sir, are a genius. :hail:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts