BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to knock out some of my maintenance this weekend with a friend of mine that has a RT. While looking for the transmission drain I happened upon well I guess the transmission drain. Please tell me I'm right that it is that huge allen dead center of the center stand with the humongous allen socket. I think this is it but the dealer gave me crushwashers that in no way look like they could go here. Am I in the right place or what. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
trey55 said:
I decided to knock out some of my maintenance this weekend with a friend of mine that has a RT. While looking for the transmission drain I happened upon well I guess the transmission drain. Please tell me I'm right that it is that huge allen dead center of the center stand with the humongous allen socket. I think this is it but the dealer gave me crushwashers that in no way look like they could go here. Am I in the right place or what. Thanks in advance.
Your in the right place. The hex size is 14mm. (you can get a 3pc. set from Auto Zone for under $10.00). The tightening torque on the plug is 55nm. of 40 ft.lbs. also takes a hell of a lot more to loosen it the first time. No crush washer required. It has a cast-in o-ring.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Drain It Hot If You Can....same With Diff....hot Is Allways Better.....keeps All Wear Metal Suspended So As To Drain Out With Oil...if Not No Big Deal....just Do It Sooner Next Time.....its Only About $3.00 So Do It Again When Its Hot.....i Know That There Is Nothing Worse Than To Sit Around Thinking ...(there Must Be Some Reasone I Can Go Out And Play!!!!! )

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tranny.....

BAK04GT said:
Drain It Hot If You Can....same With Diff....hot Is Allways Better.....keeps All Wear Metal Suspended So As To Drain Out With Oil...if Not No Big Deal....just Do It Sooner Next Time.....its Only About $3.00 So Do It Again When Its Hot.....i Know That There Is Nothing Worse Than To Sit Around Thinking ...(there Must Be Some Reasone I Can Go Out And Play!!!!! )
I am also soon to do this. Any suggestions on synthetic brand to use?. Money no object.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
I am also soon to do this. Any suggestions on synthetic brand to use?. Money no object.
I have been using Mobil 1, 75/90wht, in the transmission and rear drive of two different BMW's with absolutly no problems. Cost is about $9.00 per qt. in Auto Zone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Xmition oil

14mm is right or a cut down 5/8 allen I've used both the mobil 1 and the bmw synthetics and feel that the mobil 1 is to thin especially for the rear drive. Ive read of enough breakdowns do to rear drive failures. I tend believe that the thicker the better.
keep your rubber side down
Cody

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got er done today

I finally got a few minutes and decided to go ahead and get it done. Thanks for the torque specs and allen size. Not a hard job to do at all only took about 20min. One thing before you do this is you might want to ask suggestions on how to catch the oil coming out of there. My garage floor did a pretty good job but others might want to catch in a oil pan. Thanks for all the help. I used Mobile 1 75/90 synth.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My mc lift works wonders for the tranny fluid change and no mess. Well it works wonders for a lot of mc related work.
Later == Bobby

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
trey55 said:
I finally got a few minutes and decided to go ahead and get it done. Thanks for the torque specs and allen size. Not a hard job to do at all only took about 20min. One thing before you do this is you might want to ask suggestions on how to catch the oil coming out of there. My garage floor did a pretty good job but others might want to catch in a oil pan. Thanks for all the help. I used Mobile 1 75/90 synth.
Directing the oil flow is a "learned process". I use a piece of cardboard and hope for the best.
Save your old Mobil 1 gear oil bottle. The next time you change the trans. put 600cc.(buy a Ratio Rite at a local dirt bike shop) of new oil in your old bottle add a piece of 1/4" plastic tubing to the tapered spout and use the assembly as a squeeze bottle to fill the trans. No more mess and 600cc.(required amount) fills the trans. to the bottom of the hole.
Bruce C

·
Registered
74 Posts
Transmission Fluid

I use Red Line Shockproof Heavy in transmission and final drive. This stuff works great in racing shifter karts but I use "light" for this application. Red Line Shock Proof really clings to the gears.

·
Registered
34 Posts
trey55 said:
One thing before you do this is you might want to ask suggestions on how to catch the oil coming out of there. My garage floor did a pretty good job but others might want to catch in a oil pan. Thanks for all the help. I used Mobile 1 75/90 synth.
I cut one side and corner off of a large funnel and wedged it into the center stand after I had backed the plug most of the way out. Two turns and it dropped into the funnel and slid into the pan. I didn't spill a drop, but had to fish the plug out of the pan. I had lots of metal shavings on the magnet, but the bike only has 2800 miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shavings aren't that big of deal

The main thing you don't want to see are parts on the magnet. I had quite a bit of shavings also. I hear that the company that makes bmw trannies also makes them for tanks so I would think they should hold up. I sure hope so anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts