BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my K100RT for 28 years, and I have put 90k miles on it without issue. I have no doubt it will continue for many years. However, about ten years ago I had to stomp on the granny from 3rd to second in order to keep from being hit. Ever since, it doesn't shift in or out of second well, often with embarrassing grinding noises.

I have learned to shift it, but I know its not right, and "my baby" deserves better.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a transmission rebuild? My local dealer was honest in they don't want to attempt it. They offered to removed it and ship it out, but didn't offer "where". I see that Bob's BMW does rebuilds- any experiences?

Thanks...

B.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have rebuilt my '85 KRS transmission twice. Found it was cheaper to get a low mileage used unit, which I took apart to make sure it was in good shape. The guy was telling the truth as it was pristine inside- new seals and it is doing good.

What was going wrong was the shift drum, forks, and when it began jumping out of gear, the engagement dogs on the gears. Rebuilds cost $1200 each with me doing the work and using new parts. I found a used K11 trans for $700, plus seals when I took it apart. If you have an early K ('85, possibly '86), the transmission output splines will be different, meaning a later model driveshaft. If the shaft has 80+K miles on it, a change is just insurance.

Just another option for you.

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts