BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A barnett clutch is only about 150$. Little risk. buying the oem laminar pack and a new basket will set you back 2300$. With time on our hands why not try the Barnett. Don't forget do not use the spacer and spring that goes with the small first plate towards the pressure face with a Barnett pack. Be sure to save it though in case you go back to stock parts. It is really pesky to scissor the the gear drive together to get it back in. The factory tool was useless. I ended up with a piece of bent welding rod in the hole using needle nose vice grips to tension the gears and insert the tool. you will know when you are in far enough when the gear faces are flush. That means the oil drive sprocket in the back of the clutch has meshed properly. Some have tightened things up without the pins or dogs engaged and it is not good. The tension on the oil pump drive chain is a little more that what is needed to keep the left side from touching anything when you press on it. I have the tool but it ends up like that. It took me several attempts until I figured that just do it by hand.
Take some emery paper and smooth up the edges on the tangs where the plates have worn. Don't remove much metal, just take out burrs and sharp edges.
Well my trans will be in tomorrow or Thursday. Today I did the rear diff oil and started to soak the Barnett clutch pack in moto oil.

My barnett clutch pack didn't come with spacer and spring. So the small plate is the first plate that goes in towards the engine when putting the clutch pack in the basket.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The thin/small friction plate goes like this in the video. Also are those the springs and spacers you mentioned not to put in? Why do you recommend not to run the spring and spacer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I scored a BMW k1300S Clutch and basket on Ebay. Hopefully this will solve the oil starvation issues in the clutch pack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got the transmission put in last night. Now I'm fighting to get the drive shaft put back in. The output shaft is getting hung on an edge in the swing arm housing. What is the trick?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I always use a bent coat hangar and slide that between the rubber boot and swing arm.
Thanks Patrique83! I finally got it with using a coat hanger. You also have to find the right angle for the splines to go in without binding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got the barnett clutch pack installed on the K1300 hub. Couldn't use the K1300 basket because the drive for the oil pump is different.

My gear indicator is not working, and the bike acts like it's in Neutral. I pull in the clutch and shift gears and nothing happens, bike still feels like it's in neutral.

I'm taking a break and I'll hit it again tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check that the „half ball“ from the clutch piston didnt flip..... take out the cylinder and put some grease on it to keep from Flipping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check that the „half ball“ from the clutch piston didnt flip..... take out the cylinder and put some grease on it to keep from Flipping.
Stupid me, the plug for the gear shift indicator wasn't plug in all the way.

Took the bike out for a quick spin. Going to do a few more shakedown rides to make sure I'm not leaking anything before I put the fairings back on. I forgot how much of a hotrod this bike is. I missed it so much and I'm thank for all the help I got from this forum.

Thank you Beech and Patrique83. If you guys were in town, I'd buy you both a beer.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning from Sicily, I have a 2006 K1200S I brought here with me and the transmission crapped out almost immediately over a year ago. I am doing the work myself but have nearly zero information to go by and CANNOT figure out how to remove the transmission. I see a DVD was referenced a few times too. Could you please direct me to the resources/guides you all use? Not even the local motorcycle shops can help me, when I say BMW they immediately shake their heads and say "no, cannot." I really miss riding.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts