BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (and gals),

First time owning a new (to me) BMW K1200R Sport here, it's the 2007 model. I just got it recently, just in time for it to spend some days at a time in the garage as it's getting cold here. I've read that some generations of BMW can accept a trickle charger through the accessory port near the left leg, while on some it could impact the circuitry (looking through some of the posts here). Do I need to use a specific BMW battery charger that sends the proper signal that this is just a trickle charger through this port?

Was thinking of using something like this and my Deltran trickle charger I had for my Speed Triple.

Would you recommend I just wired the SAE connector directly to the battery terminals, or would the above method work?

Also re: riding boots, I'm just an inch on my tip toes on the bike, which is fine for riding, but sometimes a challenge for parking maneuvering on street inclines. Can anyone suggest riding boots with a thick sole to make up the difference that they recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Vitaly

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2 euro worth...
Wire the SAE directly to the battery (with inline fuse) , then you have accessory power for heated clothes, tyre pumps etc.
If you use the accessory port, then you are limited to a charger that is BMW CANBUS compatible, i.e. it has to tell the CANBUS to turn on the circuit to allow charging.
Like this https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/optimate-4-bmw
So, if you are stuck on the road somewhere with a dead battery, you are stuffed if you cant find a compatible charger. And a weird one I found, is that if the CANBUS tells the accessory socket to be live, then it also makes the GPS/Accessory circuit live. In my case, this turned on my (dash) camera as I was using the gps switched live as a switched live for that as well. You'd have the same problem if you wire a fuzeblock or any switched accessory.

In summary, there is no benefit to charging using the accessory socket, and a few downsides.

I have the optimate 4 canbus charger above (it came with the bike) but I use it through the directly wired SAE port, just like a normal charger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts