BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible without making it look like crap? just want to take about .375" off

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Absolutely

Cover both sides of the windshield with masking tape for approximately 2 in. each side of the cut so that you do not scratch the plastic with the saw. Then mark the tape and use a saber saw with a very fine blade and variable speed. Too much speed will melt the plastic. Use light pressure and go easy being very careful to follow the line. When the cut is done, use a sanding block and start with 200 grit and work up to 400. Sand out the saw marks and put a slight radius on the edge. When you are done, remove the masking tape and you will have a nice new edge. Be careful to protect the remainder of the windshield from accidental damage while you are making the cut.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CTDave said:
is it possible without making it look like crap? just want to take about .375" off

thanks
Been there, Done that. Lexan (polycarbonate) winshields cut nicely with a hacksaw. Once cut, file the edges first with a double cut (coarse) file, then with a single cut (fine) file.

If you want a REALLY pro look, wet a small piece pf paper towel (about the size of your thumbnail) with methylene chloride, then swipe the cut and filed edge with this. The idea is to put a wet bead of methylene chloride all along the edge WITHOUT getting any on the rest of the windshield. This dissolves the lexan edge, smoothing out the bumps from teh file, and results in a glass-smooth edge.

The solvent trick takes some skill, so be careful!

Bob.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

RFWilson, where are you from? I work for a company in Abbottsford and have friends in White Rock......close?

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
windshield cut

I have had great success with using a 6 inch scothbrite wheel mounted on my bench grinder, you can use it to remove stock than smooth the edge than a buffing wheel finishes the edge. Carefull as any slips on the face are hard to polish back out

·
Registered
290 Posts
CTDave said:
RFWilson, where are you from? I work for a company in Abbottsford and have friends in White Rock......close?
Not far away. I live in the Kitsilano part of Vancouver. Sorry for the delayed answer; I had forgotten I had posted to this thread.

Bob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
cut & polish

Use a jig saw, fine blade and finish up with a med. speed disk sander using 80-100 grit sanding disks. Sears has a complete polishing kit{goes in the end of a drill} for about $12.00 that will give you OEM results. I cut the top corners off my screen to make room for long barbacks. Harlan

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts