BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kers, I'm planning a trip to AK next summer and wanted to know your concerns on this 'fairing' bike making the trip.

Have any of you taken your K12s up there and if so:
fuel concerns?
roads to avoid? or take? (Route)
are there plenty of places to stay or should I take the tent?
what about rocks breaking the fairing?
any other good info you can lend as I start my planning!

Thankx in advance.
dc in KC

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure of the bike . . . right now I'm trying to find out if anyone has traveled on K12RS and if/how much damage was done enroute. I'd like to make the trip on my RS but if its gonna get beat to he*^, maybe I'll try another ride.

Found another good info source . . . most likely I'll order the 2006 Milepost.
http://www.themilepost.com/road_reporter/motorcycling_north.shtml

dc in KC

·
Registered
147 Posts
I thought about doing the trip from Seattle to Anchorage on a GS before I took the K12R for a testride and decided to opt for speed over utility. All of my AK friends said the same thing as DC in KC says - Milepost is THE guide to the road up there. It'll tell you things such as distance between gas stations and their hours of operation (good to know in the land where you can ride off into the sunset at 2:00am.).

It sounds like the road's been tamed up there. Its my understanding that little if any of the route is still unpaved.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've decided that next summer I'm going to Alaska for sure. The Ducati is sadly the bike I will sacrifice for a new GS. I just can't justify 3 bikes in the garage, what can I say.

With that decision made, who wants to go with? I'll ride with anyone safe and sane who also has a good reliable bike. Timeframe is flexible and since I'm in Seattle, I can meet somewhere along the trail if need be. I really don't plan on camping each night, not fond of mosquitoes.

If anyone has ever wanted to do this there's no time like the present (next summer anyway)

Who's interested?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Alaska 2003

Yes I have made the trip on my '02 K12RS. I did the trip from Fredericksburg, Va to Anchorage and back by a round about route. I rode 12,400 miles in 56 days. The RS was fantastic and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Watch your tire wear!!! The ALCAN can wear out tires twice as fast as normal, not really rough, but coarse pavement. Make sure you are good at pluging a tire also. My bike had lost the fender extender in the rear, all else was just fine.
If any of you are out toward the DC-Richmond area let me know. I would be happy to hook up somewhere with you all for a beer and bring the laptop along, about 200 pictures from my trip.
P.S. I was on the job, got paid mileage, hotels, and meals. Sweetttt!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
mattlamotte said:
It sounds like the road's been tamed up there. Its my understanding that little if any of the route is still unpaved.
Except when they're fixing it - which is most of the summer. Not that much but certainly in spots. It can be a bitch to negotiate some of the soft gravel/dirt patches, and cars will send rocks your way, they're much less likely to slow down through the repair sections. Rainy weather is assured for some of your trip but it'll be nice a lot of the time too.

If you've got the cash I'd recommend taking the ferries one way and the Alcan the other, it's fun to stop along the coast where you normally wouldn't go. Check out: AK_ferries.

And for even more fun, ride up through Vancouver Island to Port Hardy, take the BC ferry from there to Prince Rupert, B.C.; then the Alaska ferry to Skagway via Juneau.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree with the Ferry route. I went up the ALCAN, but came back on the Alaskan Ferry from Skagway to Bellingham, Wa. I had to report to work in Blaine, then on down to Seattle to work. The ferry I rode was over Labor Day weekend. I was a nice addition to the trip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I lived in AK for 35 years. Worked for "The Motorcycle Shop" which is the BMW shop in Anchorage for a summer. It was interesting to see the remnants of some of the motorcycles being towed in from the AK Highway. I have seen GS's come in on trucks after being crashed. I have seen K75s's ridin in by riders with 2 mile wide grins. It's not so much the bike you ride but "how" you ride the bike.

In the gravel sections, on coming trucks can and will cause rocks to be thrown up into you. I suggest slowing down considerably and pulling to the right as much as safely possible (watch for soft shoulders). I drove my Mercedes ML down the highway a few years ago and had to replace the windshield because of an A**hole trucker going mach III in the opposite direction. Be warned.

The weather can be pretty wet at times, which isn't that bad unless you are traversing dirt/gravel road. The mud & muck can be very, very slippery. Also, watch the bridges very carefully as they too can be very slippery in adverse weather conditions.

Yes, most of the road is paved. However, as has already been posted, there are always sections under repair that are dirt/gravel. Those sections can stretch for 20 miles or more.

If you take your time, it can be a very, very rewarding trip. If you try to "push it" you can pay a very dear price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alaska

Did the trip in Sept 05. Roads are good , very little road work around Haines and Kluane Lake , Yukon ( pic ). I took a 2gal gas can just incase a gas stop was closed . Found one station closed do to hi fuel cost to run the generator. Plenty of places to stay and cheap if you stay out of the big towns.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
When are you going? I am thinking about riding up there, probably in June or July. Lived there until 2004. All the talk about needing a GS to ride up there are overwrought unless you intend to ride up the Haul Road to the oil company gate that will block you off just before you get to the Arctic Ocean (700 miles no pavement). Most Alaska motorcyclists ride Harleys. If our trips coincide at all, maybe we can connect. Let me know. Unfortunately, I will not know exactly when I will be going over the border until a week or two ahead of time. I am giving into my riding addiction and taking off for seven months in mid April. Everything will be pretty much unscheduled. I just know I want to hit Alaska in late June to early July because that will offer the greatest chance of staying dry (and the salmon are running good).

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you guys have any questions, give me a shout, as I live here in Alaska and we do what we can to help out our fellow riders.

Depending on your nerve and skill level, you could take a K12RS on any of the highways, but the Dalton and Denali highways are going to be ugly if it's wet. I've seen 6" of mud on the Denali and the Dalton is heavily coated in calcium salt-which gets very slithery when wet.

There are certain gas stops you should make!

If you guys are in the Dawson, Yukon area around June 16th or so, pop in for the Dust to Dawson ride. A bunch of the Alaskan (and increasingly lower 48 and off-continent riders) meet in Dawson for fun and games.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gnomad - I won't be starting the ride until the 19th so it sounds like I will miss the fun. Might see some of the lower 48ers heading south.

As for assistance, I'll take any advice you can provide. PM or email decooper "atsign" gmail.com anything you can provide as recommendations. Most likely I'll enter Canada from Idaho. I'm not real sure of the options of roads, but was planning on the ALCAN all the way up . . .is that the quickest? I'll be sightseeing, but need to get up and get back as expeditiously as I can. I won't be trying for more Saddle Sore days, but I'll be picking them up and putting them down as safely as possible. I'm thinking of 5-6 days from KS (4100+miles) to get there.

Thankx in advance. dc

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will want to get a Milepost. It's got all the info on roads, food and fuel stops, touristy stuf, etc. It's kind of bulky but you could carry the excellent road maps and copy off the pertinent pages or cut them out of the Milepost and carry only those pages you need.
If you've gone 100 miles witout seeing a gas station, you wll want to stop at the next one. If you do travel up to Deadhorse you will need to carry gas.
Carry a mosquito headnet in your tank bag for when you get stopped at road construction sites. Mosquitos love riders at those cone zones...toss the headnet over you, helmet and all. As an alternative, wave your arms while trying to outwalk the bugs, it won't help much but will entertain the folks in the motorhomes who are watching your desperate antics!
At those cone zones, bake riders are invited to the head of the line. It's a safety issue, they would rather you didn't get hit by rocks by the cars in front of you.
More hints as time goes on...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts