BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My cruise control gave up years ago on my GT and a couple of years ago I notice my revs a little high on tick over. Ordered new push/pull cables from BMW as I thought 15 years and 100k miles they will be worn and maybe it'll fix things and fitted them this weekend what a job! Strip everything off basically, including tank, airbox, injector rail and after trying to connect a cable 200 times, take off the throttle bodies too. Jeez, did not expect that. Started at 10am, finished 8pm! Did a full service too which meant taking off the tank anyway but what a job.
Anyhow, test rode it and as expected the cruise control still don't work but the dissapointing bit is its still ticking over fast unless you roll the throttle forward slightly, so something needs adjusting. Can't find anything in the Clymer workshop manual apart from the gap at the throttle grolip end.
So am I looking at something else here? Maybe a throttle body setup or am I missing something real obvious. It needs fixing as when I slow, I need to push the throttle to its stop which is only really meant for kicking off the cruise.

Thanks
Simon. K1200GT 2005, flying brick RS type engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been reading a lot of threads here and there about this issue and some are using a diagnostic tool called GS-911, been on their site and they are quite pricey, but there is one on ebay going at the moment and wondered if this would maybe point to an error maybe in a sensor or something. But I'm not too sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also seen this...
Disconnect both wires to the battery then join the pos and neg wires on the bike together and leave for 1/2 hour. Reconnect and do the Voodoo
...What is voodoo?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Did you check the throttle plates? One may be loose on the shaft and cause the binding.Or a tight cruise cable?

Sounds like you went the long way to install the cables!You should have asked before removing the TBs or anything else,I and others know how to install cables on a K1200.

GS911? Maybe if TPS out of adjustment or TVA faulty?In any case if you are talking about the cheap ones on fleabag such as:

Fakes from China!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check the throttle plates? One may be loose on the shaft and cause the binding.Or a tight cruise cable?

Sounds like you went the long way to install the cables!You should have asked before removing the TBs or anything else,I and others know how to install cables on a K1200.

GS911? Maybe if TPS out of adjustment or TVA faulty?In any case if you are talking about the cheap ones on fleabag such as:

Fakes from China!
Throttle plates being the disc that contains the two cable ends for push/pull, all seemed OK and returned good. Had a good clean in there whilst pulling it all out, glad I changed the cables anyway, they were old.
As for lifting the throttle bodies off, this was only because, whilst I got the old cables off OK, one of them would not go on, there's only so many times you repeat the same operation before calling yourself an idiot. The manual states they might have to come off.
I might try the battery disconnect thing tonight, but unsure of what people mean when they reference the 'voodoo thing' when throttling on and off with ignition switching!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
A throttle reset. After you do the battery thing and hook it back up, turn on the ignition but do not start the bike. Roll the throttle from zero to full three times and then turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Throttle plates are the butterfly valves regulating air intake.

I and others have found loose ones.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know this is obvious, but have you made sure you have the correct play in both throttle cables AND the cruise control cable. It’s about 3 or 4 mm from memory. Correct play must be measured when the engine is cold. Also, have you checked all the micro switches, making sure you can hear them click as you apply the various levers. Just the simple stuff, but I found my revs a tad higher at one stage and traced it to a throttle cable I had adjusted too tight during routine servicing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is something I have gone into in great detail because it's easy to do. Also can be related to the cruise control not working. But yes, clearances are spot on and all sensors click, I even circuit tested them to ensure they are working.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How did you go with the TPS reset? Sounds like you are covering all the basic stuff and out of interest, do the idle revs change at all when you swing the bars from lock to lock?

·
Registered
149 Posts
A throttle reset. After you do the battery thing and hook it back up, turn on the ignition but do not start the bike. Roll the throttle from zero to full three times and then turn off the ignition.
This must be the answer to the "what is voodoo" question.

I second the recommendation. It's a Motronic thing. You'd do the same procedure if you were installing a Power Commander or other such Electronic Fuel Injection controller. It costs nothing and may save you a lot of trobleshooting and unnceccesary work. Your cruise control might actually start working again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would the procedure Beech suggested work to make the throttle response less snachy on a Suzuki sport bike? GSX1000. The throttle is very sensitive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Would the procedure Beech suggested work to make the throttle response less snachy on a Suzuki sport bike? GSX1000. The throttle is very sensitive.
I doubt it. Try removing your cables and see if they are binding. They should glide easily inside the housings with no binding. When removing, keep an eye out to see if they are being pinched anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been reading a lot of threads here and there about this issue and some are using a diagnostic tool called GS-911, been on their site and they are quite pricey, but there is one on ebay going at the moment and wondered if this would maybe point to an error maybe in a sensor or something. But I'm not too sure.
Be careful on the versions on ebay - if it says it comes from China (and is yellow) then it is a hacked version of the real one. It also probably comes with a CD to download the software. This product s can not be updated - and if you try it will decommission. I "sucked" it up and bought the real one from GS911usa.com - they offer lifetime help, and are the only legitimate seller in the US. Although it is pricey, just disconnect your battery once and you will have to have the tool to reset the service lights, etc - compare that to a few trips to the shop to have them do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so I did the throttle thing after doing the battery thing, still the same.
Next thing to do is check the throttle butterflies, that means stripping everything off again and taking the tank out to get to the intake.....I might have a go tomorrow, as I have to move a classic car i'm working on out of the way to do that kind of job. I hate taking the tank off too many times as once I had one of the quick connectors crack and had to replace that. But I shall endeavour as sitting at 1500 rpm is not good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts