BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the open house today my dealer had 2 K12S on display:

and then a bargain buy for EUR 22.000 :)

Manfred

·
Registered
504 Posts
Love the Black one. I wonder if that colour will be available in 06 or 07 in Canada?

·
Registered
531 Posts
the black one looks fantastic but i don't like the rims/frame painted black.....black on black doesn't look good to me. if the rims and metal were chrome or at least the stock silver color the bike would look 100% better. the 2nd bike looks horrible with all the body panels carbon fiber. i think carbon fiber looks great as accents but carbon fibering the whole bike looks like shit.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree about the CF. But I love the all black with the black wheels. Looks very sinister.

·
Registered
126 Posts
this dealer has a nice looking floor
we can see a total of 4 k1200s total and there maybe more ?
- carbon fiber
- custom black
- bumble bee
- and the nicest blue and white
back this summer when i bought mine ,ive been to 4 different dealers and couldnt find any!

·
Registered
34 Posts
All these aftermarket carbon fiber parts look cool, but in general it seems like an awfully expensive change for strictly cosmetic reasons. The weight savings must be so tiny as to be inconsequential.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Carbon Fiber

Like ultra exotic cars, I think the point with the CF bike is all about weight savings. All those $300k-$500k cars still ended up painting over the CF and I think you would want to do that with a CF covered bike too.

The real question is how much weight do you save over stock with that $8k+ worth of CF bodywork?

Anyone know?

Dave

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reminds me of Ti and CF bicycle frames. Someone calculated that there is something like 4 ounces, maybe more, of paint on a bicycle frame. Takes a lot to remove 4 ounces from a bike frame.

I wonder if that CF S looks mean in person.

Velomaxx

·
Registered
324 Posts
we are building an all carbon k1200s but we started with a silver frame bike. we powdercoated the wheels gloss black and will use silver accenting on the carbon to tie it all together.

as to the weight savings, i will weigh the panels this week but i would bet it is at least 15 pounds difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ken,

Is that K12S for a client or is it a "project" bike? If possible I wouldn't mind stopping by and checking it out when you get it finished.

Dave

·
Registered
324 Posts
here are a couple of weight comparisons:

tank cover (left):

stock - 2 lbs 1 oz
c/f - 13 oz

side panel (left):

stock - 3 lbs 4 oz
c/f - 1 lb 2 oz

as you can see, it all adds up.

as to the carbon bike, it is being built for a customer. he rode our bike with the stage one head and we are now building his motor as well.

but, we have started a second project bike. this one will be along the same lines as the ducati 999evo-r we built last year. it will feature black/carbon bodywork, gloss black wheels and accented with red springs & valve cover.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just can't learn to love carbon fibre. Like the painted bikes better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts