BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
My metal won't get here until the 14Th, then it will take 3 or 4 days to make a batch. I'll make a list of interested folks. I'm going to need to charge $80 a set this includes usps priority shipping inside the USA. If your in a hurry or rather have Schwabenmax plates I recommend them completely. Shipping is expensive from Europe though. So take a look. I will only be making 31mm lift plates this time so if you want 24's you know where to order from. Also if you have Wilbers shocks installed on your bike you already have quite a bit of rear lift as their shocks are 1/2" longer than stock shocks. I have one bike with wilbers and another with stock shocks, big difference.

Premium Member
Saddleman; the stock plates are very distinguishable. Here is a photo. I know of no aftermarket unit that has the large hole shaped like this or the front and double arrows.
Crankset Vehicle brake Bicycle Bicycle part Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Saddleman; the stock plates are very distinguishable. Here is a photo. I know of no aftermarket unit that has the large hole shaped like this or the front and double arrows.
View attachment 30510
You guys hitting-up Beecher for these riser plates WILL NOT be sorry. It's not often that a mod I do has such glaringly obvious upside improvement with ZERO downside.

On a side note - the AF-xied device does not appear to have negatively affected my fuel mileage as I suspected it would. I have not been perfectly studious in verifying this, and I have not taken any extended highway rides to check steady state cruise mpg. However, my trip computer has - previous to the AF-xied install - always settled on around 42mpg after a reset in riding that could best be described as "spirited errand running". Just around town fairly briskly without being a public menace. I reset it again post install and it again settled on 42 mpg in the same type of riding. I do have one very detailed fuel/mileage log from last Fall's trip to the Tail of the Dragon and Cheraholla Skyway which covered about 580 miles in the form of Nashville to The Dragon, 6 trips up and down the Tail, overnight in Fontana, Robbinsville and the Cheraholla Skyway to Tellico, and highway home. Most of the highway time was between 85 and 90 mph. Or was it kilometers per hour? Whichever one is legal. Next time I do that, I'll use that log as a baseline to compare the post-AF-xied fuel economy. But so far, so good.

Registered
Just took the plunge and ordered a 25mm riser plate from Schwabenmax for my K1200GT. Never found the bike too sluggish turning, but we're going to Corsica and Italy again, so it would be nice to see how it behaves on the mountain roads. Last time I was there I was fully loaded with passenger (it was an organised tour and we spent a day in each hotel), but this time we're going solo staying longer in each hotel, so have a chance to take all the luggage off and do some riding around unloaded.

And to paraphrase Bill_Been, those buying an AF-Xied will not be sorry either.

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE

Registered
I'll be interested in what you think. After I fitted the 25mm risers I was amazed at the handling transformation with no loss of stability. After ordering I was fretting whether I should have gone for the 31s, but after fitting I had no regrets at all. Enjoy!

Premium Member
K1300GT
View attachment 30510
View attachment 30510
So mine is stock. I have a one inch riser under my side stand & it still leans a fair amount. Does the 31mm raise the bike 31mm ?.

Premium Member
I bought some wilbers shocks from Porter. First install all was great. Sent them back for a rebuild and came back 1/2" longer. Shock guy there claimed they were always that way and Wilbers are always 1/2" longer than stock. I figure that is to make buyers figure the bike is handling great. Way different from stock. Now the bike leans over on the side stand and acts like there are 31mm plates installed which is not the case. Another rider who I am connected with had the same problem and instead they remedy the situation which they did after his considerable instance. Mine no way I had to pay for another rebuild. Jeff can bit it. Next rebuild goes to another shop. I can not answer your specific question about your lean or lift. I make the lift plates for folks and they do make a bid difference. But I don't use them as I'm a stock sort of guy. Though I do enjoy pushing things.

Registered
The Schwabenmax 25mm risers just arrived. Very well made, and sexy looking (sort of like myself :p )
It will be Thursday before I get a chance to mount them, but will report back.
I am thinking of taking the dogbone out all together to grease both sets of needle bearings. I know I couldn't get the front nut to move the last time, so I left it alone, but I have a blowtorch now, so might re-try. it is of course the most awkward to get at. While I'm in there i might as well do the lot.

The risers come with 6 washers, and the outside of the plates have a recess where the nuts/bolts go, so I assume the washers go into the recesses (no mention of them in the mounting instructions), but I presume it will all become obvious when I'm mounting it. If anyone has mounted them already, let me know.

Registered
Regarding the stuck bolt, try tightening it a fraction using a breaker bar and correct torx bit, this can unstick the thread and allow you to then undo it. I saw on the original link, the lower bolt closest to the swing arm pivot is shortest to fit in between the pivot arm and lug for the link mount. The head of this goes all the way into the recess as otherwise the thread does not protrude enough on the other side, so I would also assume the washer sits in the recess on the plate. I still need to re-check the Service CD for the exploded view of this set up.

Registered
Beeches photo above of the originals, and the photo on Schwabenmaxs website show they definitely go into the recesses. I was on another machine when I posted, and didn't see Beeches photo.
Thanks.

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE
41 - 60 of 91 Posts