BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
How will this affect the 2-up mode and luggage mode on the ESA suspension?

I'm very hesitant to mess with German engineering, b/c they spend a lot of resources to get it right.
Risers are very simple technology that gives great results!
You’ll need to add a sidestand pad to lower its contact point after the added height of risers.
PS. Your not really messing with the German engineering since your duplicating the same design just adding/tweaking it.
I’m sure the original design team were split on what height risers to use!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If putting the esa in 2 up setting while having raiser fitted and driving alone, i feel the bike becomes a danger, unstable even at low speed like from 70km/h. Using 2 up raises the rear an additional 20mm.
Your right! It does change ride height at 2 helmet Mode to my surprise!
I Never use that mode.
but I wouldon’t go as far as saying “danger” an additional 20mm is not that much and in theory it’s not raised at all if you think of it logically as bmw designed, the weight of two people will settle that spring back down and the actual height difference is back to neutral, the raise in shock (20mm) for 2 up is to compensate for the additional weight difference and it neutralizes itself out when the weight of two people compress it, that’s the whole purpose for that setting and so your back to where you started.
Whichever way you look at it, risers are an improvement to handling and not dangerous in any scenario.
(just reread your mode 2 with one person only). If your solo don’t put it in 2 up mode, even if you did that’s certainly not enough to cause problems, you just may not like it or it’s just to high, when you switch from a 50 series tire to a 55 series tire you add 20-30mm.
I have 55 series rear tire, 31mm risers and this weekend I’ll switch it to 2 up mode to see what it does?!
you never know I might just like it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your right! It does change ride height at 2 helmet Mode to my surprise!
I Never use that mode.
but I wouldon’t go as far as saying “danger” an additional 20mm is not that much and in theory it’s not raised at all if you think of it logically as bmw designed, the weight of two people will settle that spring back down and the actual height difference is back to neutral, the raise in shock (20mm) for 2 up is to compensate for the additional weight difference and it neutralizes itself out when the weight of two people compress it, that’s the whole purpose for that setting and so your back to where you started.
Whichever way you look at it, risers are an improvement to handling and not dangerous in any scenario.
(just reread your mode 2 with one person only). If your solo don’t put it in 2 up mode, even if you did that’s certainly not enough to cause problems, you just may not like it or it’s just to high, when you switch from a 50 series tire to a 55 series tire you add 20-30mm.
I have 55 series rear tire, 31mm risers and this weekend I’ll switch it to 2 up mode to see what it does?!
you never know I might just like it?
I know, but i said that using 2 up esa while having risers and driving alone, that puts the bike, in my case, almost at 45mm raise. I have tried it and it becomes very wobbly driving even in a straight line, even the slightest input on the handlebars and the bike begin to wobble.I have tried it several times on track just to see what happens.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dear Brains trust, I need your help please. Based on the comments and reviews here here I ordered the AFXied for my 2009 K1300 GT. It arrived last week, and is on the list to be installed once my shocks and
Schwabenmax lifter plates arrive.

from this thread: “The install requires removal of the gas tank because the connector for the O2 sensor is perfectly hidden behind the upper frame rail where it turns from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal. Basically inboard of your right knee.”

so fuel tank is out, (I have also cleaned up the starter motor and alternator internals). For the life of me I can’t find the o2 sensor connector to plug this into. Can anyone help please?

a photo would be great. I have tried to upload but keep getting an error.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Just trace the wire up from the O2 sensor in the exhaust. I‘m fairly sure the O2 sensor connector is unique, which precludes erroneously connection the AF-xied device to the wrong component.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The pic below is after the AF-xied has been installed. K1300S. The blue is where the O2 sensor connector is originally. The red is where the other half of the connector ended up when the AX-fied was installed. I put the module on the inside of the right side frame rail under the seat. The ground wire had to be extended about a foot to do this. While I was in there I did a few other things: Installed the BMW auxiliary battery cable to fix the no hot start issue (yellow line) and replaced the plastic fuel disconnect with metal (white circle) Also put in a Shorai battery, I've had very good life out of them in the past. Make sure your cable routing will be clear of the fuel tank when you drop it in.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
203 Posts
For the life of me I can’t find the o2 sensor connector to plug this into. Can anyone help please?

a photo would be great. I have tried to upload but keep getting an error.
I didn't need to take out the tank when installing the AF-Xied on two k1200GTs. I'd guess the routing of the GT is different. On the GT the connector is on t he frame rail next to the oil tank. Its connected to it via a tab. In the picture it is where my finger is. The connector to the right is the other half of the original O2 connector, now connected to the AF-xied. I led the wires up to behind and under the alarm, and connected the ground wire to the bolt holding the rear brake reservoir.
Give me a shout if you need any further pictures, but I just traced the O2 wire up. it is cable tied to a larger loom set of wires.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks all, will give that a go and let you know how it goes. I can already see that the layout on the 1300s os different, on the gt the ABS pump module is located outside the frame up behind the front left fairing panel.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks all, will give that a go and let you know how it goes. I can already see that the layout on the 1300s os different, on the gt the ABS pump module is located outside the frame up behind the front left fairing panel.
Same as the 1200GT. I think the GTs are the same , 1200 and 1300, its the GT/S/R are where the differences are, i.e. the models rather than the CCs

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks all, found the connector last might and fitted the AFXied successfully. The tip about tracing the o2 sensor lead worked best. I thought the connector would be up near the airbox, but no, it's clipped to the main chassis in the loom almost right next to the rear shock.

Still waiting on my rebuilt esa WB shocks (all reports are they're done, just the mailman is slow), link plates (31mm taller) then it can all go back together.

Will put the AF LEDs next to the oil tank on the chassis rail, depending on how much clearance I have for the seat, then should be able to check AFR with the seat off, engine running.

Thanks again.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Carbon

81 - 91 of 91 Posts