BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Two Mods = Perfect Bike

17K views 118 replies 30 participants last post by  WPV 
#1 ·
After a shocking amount of dithering, I have installed the AF-xied fueling device and Beech’s Beefy 31mm Suspension Riser Plates™️and done a brief familiarization ride.

Preexisting Issues:

Handling - I love the freight train stability of the stock K1300. But on spirited rides on unfamiliar twisty roads, the need arises regularly to tighten your line mid-corner or to rapidly initiate or reverse a turn. The K bike is not terrible at any of that, especially for its considerable length and girth. But, it’s not great either. Install of Brother Beech’s 31mm rear ride height raising suspension plates completely eliminates this problem. Direction changes, reversals, line changes, trail braking... The bike now feels like a slow-steering Superbike rather than like a slow-steering sport touring bike. I have no noticed any loss of my much cherished stability. Install was easy. I cleaned the dog bone and re-lubed all the needle bearings while I was down there. It’s a low-mile (5,600) 2015 bike and the bearings were fine, but I agree with whoever said BMW loves to save money on grease.

Fueling - these bikes are mapped too lean to run right. Period. The manufacturers are likely going to be forced ever further down this snake hole to appease moronic European bureaucrats set on appeasing Greta Thunberg. The high point of motorcycle fuel injection driveability was probably a couple years ago. When braking into a corner on closed throttle, the system shuts down injection altogether as revs drop below about 3k, creating a massive spike in engine braking. As you let off the brakes and begin rolling on the throttle, the pickup from closed throttle is way too snatchy. And if you need to close the throttle again to tighten you line, the ON to OFF throttle transition is just as bad. It’s just too lean at small throttle openings. Enter the AF-xied. There’s tons of information out there on how this device works, so I’ll describe the install and riding impressions. The install requires removal of the gas tank because the connector for the O2 sensor is perfectly hidden behind the upper frame rail where it turns from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal. Basically inboard of your right knee. Open the connector, plug the male end of the AF-ied harness into the female end of the OEM connector and vice versa. Route the grounding wire up to the battery negative post. The actual little box for the device has about an 8-10” pigtail and snaps together with the one on the rest of the AF-xied loom. I mounted the little thumb-sized box to the upper right side of the oil tank using 3M Dual Lock tape.

Anyhow, the snatchiness is gone, the bike fuels very cleanly from any rpm, the OFF/ON/OFF transitions are completely smooth at all rpms. I was expecting the system to take longer to unlearn its trim maps before any difference would be noticed, but it was immediate.

In short, both mods are transformative. It’s been a long time since a mod I’ve bought had zero downside, zero disappointment. Both of these fit that description.

Well done, Beecher.

See less See more
#81 · (Edited)
Risers are very simple technology that gives great results!
You’ll need to add a sidestand pad to lower its contact point after the added height of risers.
PS. Your not really messing with the German engineering since your duplicating the same design just adding/tweaking it.
I’m sure the original design team were split on what height risers to use!

#83 · (Edited)
Your right! It does change ride height at 2 helmet Mode to my surprise!
I Never use that mode.
but I wouldon’t go as far as saying “danger” an additional 20mm is not that much and in theory it’s not raised at all if you think of it logically as bmw designed, the weight of two people will settle that spring back down and the actual height difference is back to neutral, the raise in shock (20mm) for 2 up is to compensate for the additional weight difference and it neutralizes itself out when the weight of two people compress it, that’s the whole purpose for that setting and so your back to where you started.
Whichever way you look at it, risers are an improvement to handling and not dangerous in any scenario.
(just reread your mode 2 with one person only). If your solo don’t put it in 2 up mode, even if you did that’s certainly not enough to cause problems, you just may not like it or it’s just to high, when you switch from a 50 series tire to a 55 series tire you add 20-30mm.
I have 55 series rear tire, 31mm risers and this weekend I’ll switch it to 2 up mode to see what it does?!
you never know I might just like it?

#85 ·
Dear Brains trust, I need your help please. Based on the comments and reviews here here I ordered the AFXied for my 2009 K1300 GT. It arrived last week, and is on the list to be installed once my shocks and
Schwabenmax lifter plates arrive.

from this thread: “The install requires removal of the gas tank because the connector for the O2 sensor is perfectly hidden behind the upper frame rail where it turns from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal. Basically inboard of your right knee.”

so fuel tank is out, (I have also cleaned up the starter motor and alternator internals). For the life of me I can’t find the o2 sensor connector to plug this into. Can anyone help please?

a photo would be great. I have tried to upload but keep getting an error.

#88 · (Edited)
For the life of me I can’t find the o2 sensor connector to plug this into. Can anyone help please?

a photo would be great. I have tried to upload but keep getting an error.
I didn't need to take out the tank when installing the AF-Xied on two k1200GTs. I'd guess the routing of the GT is different. On the GT the connector is on t he frame rail next to the oil tank. Its connected to it via a tab. In the picture it is where my finger is. The connector to the right is the other half of the original O2 connector, now connected to the AF-xied. I led the wires up to behind and under the alarm, and connected the ground wire to the bolt holding the rear brake reservoir.
Give me a shout if you need any further pictures, but I just traced the O2 wire up. it is cable tied to a larger loom set of wires.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive design Bumper

#87 · (Edited)
The pic below is after the AF-xied has been installed. K1300S. The blue is where the O2 sensor connector is originally. The red is where the other half of the connector ended up when the AX-fied was installed. I put the module on the inside of the right side frame rail under the seat. The ground wire had to be extended about a foot to do this. While I was in there I did a few other things: Installed the BMW auxiliary battery cable to fix the no hot start issue (yellow line) and replaced the plastic fuel disconnect with metal (white circle) Also put in a Shorai battery, I've had very good life out of them in the past. Make sure your cable routing will be clear of the fuel tank when you drop it in.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive tire

#91 ·
Thanks all, found the connector last might and fitted the AFXied successfully. The tip about tracing the o2 sensor lead worked best. I thought the connector would be up near the airbox, but no, it's clipped to the main chassis in the loom almost right next to the rear shock.

Still waiting on my rebuilt esa WB shocks (all reports are they're done, just the mailman is slow), link plates (31mm taller) then it can all go back together.

Will put the AF LEDs next to the oil tank on the chassis rail, depending on how much clearance I have for the seat, then should be able to check AFR with the seat off, engine running.

Thanks again.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Carbon

#96 ·
After a shocking amount of dithering, I have installed the AF-xied fueling device and Beech’s Beefy 31mm Suspension Riser Plates™️and done a brief familiarization ride.

Preexisting Issues:

Handling - I love the freight train stability of the stock K1300. But on spirited rides on unfamiliar twisty roads, the need arises regularly to tighten your line mid-corner or to rapidly initiate or reverse a turn. The K bike is not terrible at any of that, especially for its considerable length and girth. But, it’s not great either. Install of Brother Beech’s 31mm rear ride height raising suspension plates completely eliminates this problem. Direction changes, reversals, line changes, trail braking... The bike now feels like a slow-steering Superbike rather than like a slow-steering sport touring bike. I have no noticed any loss of my much cherished stability. Install was easy. I cleaned the dog bone and re-lubed all the needle bearings while I was down there. It’s a low-mile (5,600) 2015 bike and the bearings were fine, but I agree with whoever said BMW loves to save money on grease.

Fueling - these bikes are mapped too lean to run right. Period. The manufacturers are likely going to be forced ever further down this snake hole to appease moronic European bureaucrats set on apasing Greta Thunberg. The high point of motorcycle fuel injection driveability was probably a couple years ago. When braking into a corner on closed throttle, the system shuts down injection altogether as revs drop below about 3k, creating a massive spike in engine braking. As you let off the brakes and begin rolling on the throttle, the pickup from closed throttle is way too snatchy. And if you need to close the throttle again to tighten you line, the ON to OFF throttle transition is just as bad. It’s just too lean at small throttle openings. Enter the AF-xied. There’s tons of information out there on how this device works, so I’ll describe the install and riding impressions. The install requires removal of the gas tank because the connector for the O2 sensor is perfectly hidden behind the upper frame rail where it turns from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal. Basically inboard of your right knee. Open the connector, plug the male end of the AF-ied harness into the female end of the OEM connector and vice versa. Route the grounding wire up to the battery negative post. The actual little box for the device has about an 8-10” pigtail and snaps together with the one on the rest of the AF-xied loom. I mounted the little thumb-sized box to the upper right side of the oil tank using 3M Dual Lock tape.

Anyhow, the snatchiness is gone, the bike fuels very cleanly from any rpm, the OFF/ON/OFF transitions are completely smooth at all rpms. I was expecting the system to take longer to unlearn its trim maps before any difference would be noticed, but it was immediate.

In short, both mods are transformative. It’s been a long time since a mod I’ve bought had zero downside, zero disappointment. Both of these fit that description.

Well done, Beecher.
Bill, I'm installing my AF-XiED today. Hopefully, you can remember what you set your unit at, e.g., #5, 6, 7 ... etc. What was it? Also, are you running the factory exhaust or an aftermarket?

#99 ·
Don't know if this helps, but the installation instructions with the AFXied say to start at 7 (apparently the ideal stiochiometric 14.3:1 ratio) and go from there. That's where I started. Currently at 6.5 as I was getting some backfires on throttle overrun, still testing though.

This is on a 2009 K1300GT SE, standard exhaust, K&N filter (fitted by PO) running premium 98RON and riding "spiritedly" as much as our draconian law enforcement allows, and we are pretty much at sea-level. Getting 5.7L/100km, not that fuel economy is why I fitted it.

No flat spots, hesitations or other throttle issues, nice linear power from idle to 8000rpm.

#102 ·
Get a jewelers screwdriver or similar and adjust this blue dial.

Reading counter clockwise from the mark that's at "7pm" being '1', count the marks. This photo shows mine at '7'. The higher the number the richer the bike will run (the o2 sensor being fooled by the AFXIED that there is still too much oxygen in the exhaust, so it dumps in more fuel to try to burn the remaining o2). Since this photo I've run through a tank of 98ron and turned thr blue dial back to 6.5, or approx halfway between 6 and 7.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Hope this helps you.

#103 ·
I can’t believe that this week was my first trip to the Motorcycle Nirvana of East Tennessee since I installed these two mods earlier this year. But I’m just back from two solid days on The Tail of The Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Since nobody pays any attention to the Ride Tales forum, I’ll throw in a quick review here.

The Tail of The Dragon is a one-of-a-kind piece of road. Hwy 129 on the TN/NC border south of Maryville, TN. At one point on this ”highway” there are 318 turns jammed into 11 miles as it snakes its way through the mountains. A few other things make the road kind of special: geographically there’s almost no reason to be on that road, as it isn’t a particularly efficient shortcut between any two population centers; there are no driveways or side road access so there’s no gravel drug out onto the surface nor is there any threat of Farmer Bob pulling out on his tractor; with no houses anywhere nearby you’re not bothering anyone or scaring their livestock. All good things. Bad Things include the fact that there are tons of places to sail off the road and fall a long way or smack a tree or a rock face. Once you’ve done this, emergency response is a long way off because there’s no cell service. So, how do you ride it? There are a few Unofficial “Rules” that experience has taught us work well to maximize safety and fun. Ride well inside your limit, stay in your lane/no apex strafing, no waving at other riders unless you’re warning them of a hazard, and USE THE DAMN PULLOUTS. Both Tennessee and North Carolina have graciously added sections of shoulder for us to pull into briefly to allow others to safely pass. This system is easily understood and utilized by almost everybody. Except dudes on Harleys. You can come up behind Grandma Moses in a Camry and she’ll throw on her right blinker and ease into the next pullout to let you by. Pull up behind 3 or 4 dudes on Harleys - or Heaven help us all Harley trikes - and they’ll block your ass for the rest of eternity. AND they’ll get mad if you pass them. At one point on Tuesday I was going so slow behind one of these moving chicanes that my cooling fan kicked on. To finish the rant, I’ll note the final dose of douchiness which is when they grab a fistful of throttle and BRAAAAPP!! for two seconds coming out of a turn they just went through at crawling speed, giving you an excellent display of just how slow a loud-ass bike can be. Then you get to watch them stomping that rear brake pedal to get ready to teeter wobble through the next turn.

Rant over, back to K1300s.

So, this was the first prolonged assault on the twisties with Beech’s plates on the bike. They did exactly what I was hoping they’d do: they make the bike much more willing to initiate a turn from straight up and down, as well as making mid-corner line changes and accompanying lean angle changes must easier. The firmly “planted” feel of the stock bike remains, but it now feel like it lost a bit of weight. On the I-40 superslab drone from Nashville to Lenoir City, I noticed no change in character at <…ahem…> ”highway” speeds. With the Kaoko throttle locker and both hands off the bars (cuz I’m a Stunta, Bruh) the bike still tracks straight as ever.

As for the AF-xied fueling mod, I was shocked to see that on the 160 mile I-40 drone I achieved 46.95 mpg. I surprised because I was ready to accept a pretty significant hit in fuel economy from the richer mixture created by the device. But it seems it didn’t happen. From there it was the two lane byways (our Brit friends would call them “B roads”) to the Tail, several trips up and down the Tail, and a fuel stop in Robbinsville after 127 miles of relatively sporty point and shoot riding that saw 37.71 mpg. Next was a trip through the fantastic Cherohala Skyway - higher speed than the Tail but equally relentless curves - followed by some more 2 lane highway to Crossville and final fuel stop that saw 45.24 mpg. I’m very well pleased that the device did not crater my fuel economy. It also performed well in its intended mission which was fixing the horrible part-throttle fueling and jerky OFF/ON, ON/OFF fueling. When you’re trying to crack the throttle on from closed while leaned over in a turn, you really need the introduction of that first bit of engine drive to be smooth and predictable. Additionally, rolling off the throttle to tighten a line mid corner needs to be smooth. Both qualities are terrible in the stock K13 fueling paradigm. It’s way, way too lean in those areas, plus the thing shuts off fueling completely in some regimes. Anyhow, enough whing. The AF-xied fixes all that.

#112 ·
Dragon
Pull up behind 3 or 4 dudes on Harleys - or Heaven help us all Harley trikes - and they’ll block your ass for the rest of eternity. AND they’ll get mad if you pass them. At one point on Tuesday I was going so slow behind one of these moving chicanes that my cooling fan kicked on. To finish the rant, I’ll note the final dose of douchiness which is when they grab a fistful of throttle and BRAAAAPP!! for two seconds coming out of a turn they just went through at crawling speed, giving you an excellent display of just how slow a loud-ass bike can be. Then you get to watch them stomping that rear brake pedal to get ready to teeter wobble through the next turn.

Rant over, back to K1300s.
Just saw this post!
To funny!!!
And as you were typing this post, mid Sept, I was on the Dragon, and did exactly that, get stuck behind a few Harleys, and a chick on a Harley trike!! Ruined turn after turn for me. I finally pulled over into one of the turnouts where the photogs were parked up.
Oh yeah, and the rant of watching the Harley guys grabbing a fistfull of throttle, listening to the exhaust howl, and the bike goes nowhere is so true. I was coming home from the Keys to So Fla a while back, same scenario to pass cars. Each one of these Harleys would crank the throttle, make all kinds of racket, and barely pass a car. Me, at the tail of the pack, would do a slow roll-on, pass the cars and a few of the straggler Harleys, all while laughing my butt off, LOL.

#104 · (Edited)
I stayed in a hotel in Robinsville and rode several days in the area. A few realistic notes about the Tail. There was no warning of approaching passing spots, some of which are just past turns, so if you are moving at an above moderate speed but not fast enough for the guy behind you trying to be the next William Dunlop (deceased). You may not have time to brake and move onto the shoulder pulloff, many of which are very short (proportioned to the speed you are traveling). I recommend that you go there early or late in the season and on a week day. There will fewer if any of both schools, cruising sightseers and those dreaming of the Isle of man. You may need warmer clothing. Another option is for the faster rider to just take a break on a pulloff and let the others get well ahead and do the ride in Sprints. Formula 1 drivers slow down during practice to accomplish this. Heaven forbid that you ever get behind the occasional pickp truck or van that also use the tail. There are other roads in that area especially on the Carolina side that are just as good as the tail, but not well commercialize as it is. I have a set of topographical maps of the area and the roads are there if you look for them. You just won't be able to say "I did the tail" and put the sticker on you fairing. BTW, I have heard that the Highway Patrol / State Police will occasionally get a bug up their butt and strictly enforce the speed limit. No radar detector in this world will protect you there.

#105 · (Edited)
The last time I was there, the pull offs weren't only short and without adequate notice, they were also unpaved dirt or gravelly, and located on the treeline and cliff side of the road - that's North Carolina bound. A hurried pullover and stop could be tricky indeed. Fortunately, I never felt the need to pull off. But then again, I would only go there on Tue/Wed/Thu when the weekenders have already left and the next ones haven't yet arrived.

As for the Cherohala Skyway, it was better 10-15 years ago than it was when I went through there last year. It used to be all open with great vistas (without having to use a scenic area). Now, the vegetation has all grown in on both sides of the road and the scenic value has been reduced, as well as the line of sight through curves. I guess the state budgets won't allow them to keep up the grooming. Too bad. That was one of my favorites, but no more.

#106 ·
The pullouts are not only beautifully paved and smooth and more than long enough to accommodate a relaxed, safe stop (usually just a slow-down), they can easily be recognized by using your eye to look for them. They’re on the right side of the roadway. They kinda look like regular old asphalt pavement. You should be able to locate them even without signage.

With just the tiniest effort and minimal cooperation, we can all maximize each other’s enjoyment of this unique road. Be considerate when desiring to overtake, be considerate when being overtaken. We’re all in each category at one point or the other. Properly handling getting passed by a quicker rider always earns me an appreciative wave or bee-beep. More than once I’ve been approached at the resort parking lot and thanked for an expeditious move over. Everyone appreciates the recognition that we’re all up there to enjoy a unique road in our own way. When a slower guy elevates my enjoyment over his own for a few seconds, I appreciate it. Conversely, when I pull out to let one or several faster guys by, I’m glad I was able to help him out.

#118 ·
They are about $80 plus shipping. The price quoted includes VAT tax for EU only. I use marine grease but any wheel bearing grease is ok and do check them every couple of years. I have a hard time getting excited about making more but I may go for it some time. I have some rear wheel balance adapters to get going on.
here is where to buy them at the moment. Don't buy the 37mm ones.
A PDF file with the instructions I send with the plates is attached.

Attachments

#119 ·
Felix has covered all the important points, but I may add one additional. Raising the rear of any cycle decreases the trail on the front suspension which will decrease the stability, but increases the responsiveness. Based on the experiences of others, the parts in question don't make the cycle dangerous.