BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can hardly wait till I get the new bike. Switching from a HD V-Rod to the K1200GT. I must say I was very happy with the V-Rod in terms of handling and performance, but always wanted a BMW. I hope I will not be disappointed in the switch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
mantmich said:
Can hardly wait till I get the new bike. Switching from a HD V-Rod to the K1200GT. I must say I was very happy with the V-Rod in terms of handling and performance, but always wanted a BMW. I hope I will not be disappointed in the switch.
Congrats on getting out of the stone age. :) But be prepared, comparing a HD-even a V-Rod to a GT is like comparing a sledge hammer to a scalpel. Nothing against HD-but performance and handling-nooooooooo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise, heard that people have a tendency to drop the bike due to its false impression that it is not a heavy bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just make sure that when you accelerate you have a helmet in your head and not in the back rest :) because you might loose an eye and lips due to the acceleration and "G"force of the GT :teeth Bandanas will not keep your brain from coming out of your ears :rotf:
The V road is a great bike but you are going to enjoy the GT power and handling. Congratulations :2beers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got her home today

Very nice bike, very sensitive on the gas. Not use to the seating position that tend to make you lean a bit forward and transfers weight on the hands. I need to adjust my position that takes that tendency away since it makes it difficult to control the throttle. I noticed by applying pressure with the knees helps take away that pressure. Any other tips that others can share. I must say it was hard to put her away in the garage for the night.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Sliding forward into the tank is settled by after-market seat (preferably Russell Day-Long).

Handlebars can be extended. Even more with Suburban Machinery's risers.

Shield? Aeroflow. Maybe with their lower deflectors if turbulence is too bad.

Just takes some dialing in - but it ain't cheap!

Enjoy the new ride! :clap:

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
mantmich said:
Very nice bike, very sensitive on the gas.
Welcome to the club. ;)

mantmich said:
Not use to the seating position that tend to make you lean a bit forward and transfers weight on the hands.
Put the screen down all the way and ride faster, the wind pressure will take the weight off! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
mantmich said:
Not use to the seating position that tend to make you lean a bit forward and transfers weight on the hands. I need to adjust my position that takes that tendency away since it makes it difficult to control the throttle. I noticed by applying pressure with the knees helps take away that pressure. Any other tips that others can share.
Yes, use of your legs (squeezing the tank) and abdominal support take pressure off your wrists. Your elbows should be bent and shoulders, elbows and wrists relaxed. I was always a cruiser rider and used to the laid back position. Now, I prefer the lean forward. I really think it makes me a more prepared to react rider.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recommend tank protectors were your knees contact the paint and your stomach. Check this site for some freckles, risers and protectors.
http://piratesk12site.net/ProductGT.htm
TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/bmwindex.htm
New K1200GT '06 -'08
K12GT handlebar backs

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/index.htm
for windshield

The risers and the windshield is the best first investment. Motolights is second or some kind of light to help other cars see you as well help with illumination.
http://www.motolight.com/
Have fun riding and welcome to the GT family.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
mantmich said:
Congrats on the soon-to-be new bike. I got the K1200GT after my V-Rod SE2 was totaled. It takes a while to get used to the change in riding position. I really was starting to like the V-Rod when I got T-boned. Personally, I don't really feel that the GT has all that much more ooomph than the SE2 had. That might have something to do with the forward leaning position vs. the leaning back position.
I would recommend getting aftermarket risers if you find the forward lean is too much for your wrists. They made a world of difference for me.
Enjoy and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
congrats ive had mine( blue 08) for 2 weeks it was hard to watch it snow the last 2 days love this bike will ride tody no snow but 55

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My first impressions

Cannot comment on acceleration yet since still in the break in period which recommends not to go over 7,000 rpm. However, I must say however, it is not a big difference to the V-Rod in terms of acceleration to 7,000 rpm. It would probably pull away from the V-Rod at higher speeds, still to be seen. As for handling, wow, it really is night and day in the twistees. The breaks are super makes you feel like you can stop on a dime. Still working on the seating position, will require side rubber pads to help.

Michel

·
Registered
9 Posts
mantmich said:
Cannot comment on acceleration yet since still in the break in period which recommends not to go over 7,000 rpm. However, I must say however, it is not a big difference to the V-Rod in terms of acceleration to 7,000 rpm. It would probably pull away from the V-Rod at higher speeds, still to be seen. As for handling, wow, it really is night and day in the twistees. The breaks are super makes you feel like you can stop on a dime. Still working on the seating position, will require side rubber pads to help.

Michel
I also went from a V-Rod to an '07 K1200GT, but after three months and 9000 miles I'm back on the V-Rods. The BMW just didn't fit me. It did have the best CC of any bike I have ever ridden and I thought highly of the windscreen and heated grips. Just me and the bike were different sizes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts