BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who read my original thread on the new seats made for me by a local seat guru New seats...ahhhh, I promised a post long ride report. We just returned from a 1000 miles of slab, rain, tons of twisties in West Virginia, and the Sherando Lake BMW Rally. The review: 2 thumbs up (mine) for both touring (T in GT) and sport riding (lots of body language) in twisties. At $250 it's tough to beat.
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That's simply too good of a deal to pass up. Especially since my butt just isn't that picky. I was fine on the LT's stock seat. I just wonder if he can widen the rear seat a bit. My wife's small, but she liked the wide pillion seat of the LT. We'll see.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the CGM machine too and the seats look good on GregC's bike and apparently work even better....so would SOMEBODY please out do this guy????? He's killing me here! :v:

Seriously GregC, the seats look great and you got a fantastic deal. Is the guy that did the work getting slammed with work requests now?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just can't get over this seat issue.

$250.00 for both seats and a "perfect" result.....
seems like XANADU to me
i hope that i'll be able to work out getting MINE redone by this fantastic guy

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading GregC's original post, I contacted Rich. We emailed a couple of times and talked once on the phone. After getting the details worked out I shipped him my seat last Monday, Sep 4th. I get the seat back this morning (hopefully). I'll let everyone know how it works. I'm pretty excited! :ricky

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read a short thread about sliding forward into the tank with the stock seat. Is that one of the reasons you went with the new seat or just comfort?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For comfort, not sliding forward issues (that I didn't have). OK, so I should have stated this earlier: this seat works great for me, but like windscreens, etc it may not be right for others (no two butts are the same!).
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're right no two butts are alike. I got my new seat from Rich yesterday. Went for a 150 mile ride. While the seat is now more comfortable than it was, it is not as comfortable as I had hoped. Plus I still feel as if I'm sliding forward on the seat. I took the rubber grommets(?) off the seat which lowered the back some, this helped. So I will see what I can do with the grommets to make this change permanent and then we'll see.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you tell him about the sliding forward issue when you spec'd it out (cuz he could have cut the foam back to change the slope)? I didn't, but then it never seemed to be an issue for me. Having said this, I'm going to play with the rubber extrusions on the seat posts just for yucks. Now, when I first got my seat I was not entirely convinced either, but after riding it more and more, it grew on me (actually, I had hoped the original would have too, but it just got worse); that's why I started this thread cuz the long ride proved it worked for me.
Greg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes we did talk about sliding forward, I also wanted to raise the seat height (long legs) and that may have caused some constraints.

I also started playing with the rubber extrusions on the seat. Did some quick measuring and found that there was about 1/4 inch difference between the depth of the hole in the rubber and the height of the plastic peg the rubber sits on. So, using a mitre box and hack saw I cut about a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the rubber. I then used a razor blade to widen the whole. It seems to work well. We'll see this week when the wife and I ride out to Deal's Gap. Oh, I also trimmed about 1/4 off the plastic peg that the rubber sits on so I can make more adjustments if needed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okey, dokey, I hope it feels better for you (but again, anything is better than stock!). Have a fun and safe ride!
Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts