BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was searching around the forums with no luck on what type of engine oil everybody is using????? I'm woundering what weight and make??....synthetic or not?????
:popcorn:
nybmw

·
Banned
15 Posts
I use 20W50 Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil and changing it and the Amsoil filter every 12,000 miles for the past 110,000 miles in my K1200LT. I'm going to try Amsoil 10W40 synthetic motorcyle oil next for better mpg and performance.

You can compare motorcycle oils at http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx?zo=1181889 .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
What does the owners manual say

nybmw said:
Hey I was searching around the forums with no luck on what type of engine oil everybody is using????? I'm woundering what weight and make??....synthetic or not?????
:popcorn:
nybmw
These bikes are fast so I use Mobil Jet Oil II (Synthetic). Change it every 36,000 miles. $224.25 per case of 24 quarts.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Canada-English/Aviation/PDS/IOCAENAVIMOMobil_Jet_Oil_II.asp

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT actually I use 15/50 BMW syn
93 K1100RS Mobil I 20/50

·
Banned
15 Posts
Robert_W said:
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

$59.95 a case (6qts) includes shipping. Used them a couple of times with no problems.
I'll see your $59.95 and lower to $55.88 for 1 gallon and 2 quarts of Amsoil MCF synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil (includes shipping and sales tax) with a free parts and labor warranty for double the BMW recommended oil change interval and a 6 month window to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TimVipond said:
I'll see your $59.95 and lower to $55.88 for 1 gallon and 2 quarts of Amsoil MCF synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil (includes shipping and sales tax) with a free parts and labor warranty for double the BMW recommended oil change interval and a 6 month window to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale.
Where is that deal at?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle (MCF). You don't want to use an oil with friction modifiers in it, so make sure it meets JASO MA spec. Wet clutch slips when you use oil meant for dry clutch machines.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Robert_W said:
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

$59.95 a case (6qts) includes shipping. Used them a couple of times with no problems.
I agree Mobil 1 4T is awsome.
My clutch squeal went away immediately after changing to it.
I was using Lucas 15-40 full syn. Recommended by dealer. I had a lot of clutch squeal every time I left from a complete stop and down shift chatter after about 4500 klm.
I took Roberts advice and switched to Mobil T4.10w-40
Kevin

·
Registered
353 Posts
KGK1200GT said:
I agree Mobil 1 4T is awsome.
My clutch squeal went away immediately after changing to it.
I want some. Anyone want to buy the rest of my case of Amsoil MCF? :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was using BMW (Golden Spectro) then changed to Castrol Actevo (dino) to deal with the clutch sqeal. It solved the problem right away for about 1500 miles then it starts again. I have 4qts of Castrol GPS (Synthetic and suggested per owners manual) that will go in to the GT shortly. If that doesn't solve the sqeal i will probably transition to M1 4T. Oh yeah, all 10/40 grades.

Shoot i am even considering Rotella 15/40 at this point......

·
Registered
838 Posts
ccii42104 said:
I was using BMW (Golden Spectro) then changed to Castrol Actevo (dino) to deal with the clutch sqeal. It solved the problem right away for about 1500 miles then it starts again. I have 4qts of Castrol GPS (Synthetic and suggested per owners manual) that will go in to the GT shortly. If that doesn't solve the sqeal i will probably transition to M1 4T. Oh yeah, all 10/40 grades.

Shoot i am even considering Rotella 15/40 at this point......
I've been using the Castrol GPS ever since the first dealer-performed oil change. I've had NO clutch squeal in over 23k kms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts