BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen this type of damage before?

Probing the cut with a tiny screw driver, it looks like the cut goes straight in 5.5mm and across 27mm and back out. It looks like I must have hit a rectangular piece of steel sicking straight up. http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk373/toswells/Cape Breton 2008/IMG_1091.jpg

I guess I am lucky it was a brand new tyre or it most likely would have perforated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes I have seen cuts like that.

Since I am poor, I'd run it if the edge of the tiny screw driver did not bump over plys when dragged through the cut. Since the tire is fairly new I doubt that a cut .022" deep reached the plys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was probing for plys, but could not see or feel any. I was thinking the same thing, or at least until I plan another long trip. I don't think my visa $$ bill has even come in for these ones yet.

Any idea what might cause this kind of damage? I was very cautious, trying to stick to well traveled areas and only pulled over in two gravel rest stop areas (didn't want to pickup a nail etc.). lol I do remember a couple of bridge expansion joints that caused a cuss or two.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That probably happened on the road. Rear flats are far more common on all vehicles.
I do believe the front tire throws the object back, then the rear tire picks it up.
It was probably a thin piece of spring steel or auto trim work.

Cycling roadies(hard core types) often install a thin, stiff wire bent to the radius of the front tire's crown that just touches the tire.
This wire will flick out most road debris before it is thrown into the rear tire's path. Seems to work for guys/gals that ride centuries.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sliced tire/tyre

It's possible that puncture could have been caused by a broken lane reflector. They are glued or somehow placed on top of the stripes that define lanes. If the plastic portion breaks off, part of it might still be there or there might be a structural metal component that sticks up. I try to avoid running over them when changing lanes, especially if the road is wet.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts