BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't sit on one of these bikes!! :yeow:

I made that mistake last nite. Yikes, very light but has a lot of great features (the 09 with full ABS, etc).

Much lighter than the KS so I worry about that with the travel I do. Luggage might be a bit tight but I might be able to live with that (I have the LT for long trips and most 2up riding).

The grips are much lower than the KS, you can get some small risers but I guess they are very limited due to tank clearance.

I dunno, 1200 bucks for a new KS clutch or whatever the hell is squealing like a pig on takeoffs. If it gets real loud it's like the clutch doesnt' even work. It doesnt' happen every time but which is sort of weird too but yesterday it seemed pretty bad on nearly all takeoffs, which is really starting to get me irritated.

I've had this problem for the last 22k miles (62k on the bike), at the dealer 3 times or so to check out while doing 12k services, etc...drives me nutz, even if I do luv my KS..

Problem is, I couldn't sell this thing to anyone without fixing the clutch or discounting the bike. If I had the time I'd fix it myself.

sure is tempting at 13k brand new for that CBR though, knowing I'm not going to have the problems I've had with this KS (and continue to have to some degree, ie, clutch) :wtf:

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Amazing bike from what I've read...

·
Registered
749 Posts
ldbikin said:
Don't sit on one of these bikes!! :yeow:

I made that mistake last nite. Yikes, very light but has a lot of great features (the 09 with full ABS, etc).

Much lighter than the KS so I worry about that with the travel I do. Luggage might be a bit tight but I might be able to live with that (I have the LT for long trips and most 2up riding).

The grips are much lower than the KS, you can get some small risers but I guess they are very limited due to tank clearance.

I dunno, 1200 bucks for a new KS clutch or whatever the hell is squealing like a pig on takeoffs. If it gets real loud it's like the clutch doesnt' even work. It doesnt' happen every time but which is sort of weird too but yesterday it seemed pretty bad on nearly all takeoffs, which is really starting to get me irritated.

I've had this problem for the last 22k miles (62k on the bike), at the dealer 3 times or so to check out while doing 12k services, etc...drives me nutz, even if I do luv my KS..

Problem is, I couldn't sell this thing to anyone without fixing the clutch or discounting the bike. If I had the time I'd fix it myself.

sure is tempting at 13k brand new for that CBR though, knowing I'm not going to have the problems I've had with this KS (and continue to have to some degree, ie, clutch) :wtf:
I know the temptation of a new machine is strong, and like you said if you sit on it your done, but think for a second what your doing. We all know the first model year of a new design is likely to be fraught with problems. Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW. Like I said before beta testers get the product for free, and just have to review it for the manufacturer. Unless that's the deal BMW is offering I would be careful before I jumped into a newly designed bike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
"Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW."

I think he is talking about going to a Honda. I agree that my BMW beta tester days are over. I have even been thinking seriously down the other bike lines myself. Never thought I would go back to Yamaha or Honda once I went to BMW. After more than a decade on BMW I am loosing my loyalty.

All I use to do is ride my Honda. Now (for the last decade on three different BMW's) I worry about every little bit of cutting edge German technology failing me. Then being told "they all do that" or paying a fortune to get it fixed.

·
Registered
749 Posts
El_Barto said:
"Why volunteer to pay 13k to be a beta tester for BMW."

I think he is talking about going to a Honda. I agree that my BMW beta tester days are over. I have even been thinking seriously down the other bike lines myself. Never thought I would go back to Yamaha or Honda once I went to BMW. After more than a decade on BMW I am loosing my loyalty.

All I use to do is ride my Honda. Now (for the last decade on three different BMW's) I worry about every little bit of cutting edge German technology failing me. Then being told "they all do that" or paying a fortune to get it fixed.
Your right of course I thought he was talking about the new S1000RR, sorry :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nothing wrong with having more than 1 bike. That CBR is amazing on canyon roads and is still pleasant on freeways.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
Your right of course I thought he was talking about the new S1000RR, sorry :)
I saw something where the top speed of the BMW S1000RR was only 124 mph (200 kph) or so. That seems awfully low for a 450 pound 193 hp bike.

Found it: HERE. Sidebar, about half-way down on the right.

I don't expect it to be any Hayabusa killer at that speed.

Mack

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think its a typo, read 200 MPH!

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
I think its a typo, read 200 MPH!
I wonder about that since they show it as:
Top speed: 124.3 mph (200.0 km/h)

To do 200 MPH it would read:
Top Speed: 200 mph (321.87 km/h).

Maybe 200 mph is right, but it sure seems wrong in the article's sidebar though.... :confused:

Mack

·
Registered
37 Posts

Not trying to hijack the thread. However, I have owned virtually every late model Beemer made. Loved most of them - but am having more and more bad "luck." In the end, and to my own chagrin, I am out of love with BMW. I would buy the CBR and have a blast with the thing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries on the hijack, good info, if a bit unfortunate.

Much as I like the CBR, I know it is not the most practical for me. The KS really does have the best ergo's, at least for me.

next however is the R1 Yamaha, I'm going to have to give that a try after reading the bike rags. I owned 3 FZ1's before, very nice, but I sure do like my sporty bike better.

I thought I was getting old, maybe a little more pain will convince me to switch to a bigger bike...oh wait, I already have 125k on my 02 KLT, doh!!

Only problem with that bike is, every year it gets heavier! :dunno: I only use it if I need to.

ps...noticing the diff between my KS value today and what I owe on it, mmm...might be keeping it awhile yet even with the pig squealing clutch, until it blows up. It sure runs smooth though, 118 degs coming thru the desert yesterday (400 miles) without a hitch other than one stall on a rest stop decel around the 2nd gear downshift. I think it's the heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts