BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone-
My rear Z6 is done and in need of replacement. No big deal as I got 5600mi of fairly aggressive riding out of it (mostly twisties, some slab & commuting). The front still has another 600mi or so left on it.......anyway-
On the rear tire, the left hand side is definitely much more worn than the right hand side - in fact it is because of the left side wear that I am having to replace the tire - if the whole thing looked like the right side and wore evenly, I would have prob close to another 1k miles left in it....

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea why it may have worn this way?

I know the rear wheel has a small spacer ('03 RS with 5.5" wheel), would this be a cause? Or is it because of the roads being "crowned", and sloping off to either side for drainage purposes?
The bike doesn't seem to pull or have any alignment issues (it did tip off the sidestand one time).....this is the first time I've observed this as my previous set of tires (BT 020) were replaced early with some tread still left as the front was cupping, so I never got a chance to see how the rear would have worn down with those......Thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My GT used to pull ever so slightly to the right. If I were to ride w/no hands on the grips, I'd have to lean just a little to the left to keep on the straight and narrow (not that I ever did). I seem to remember reading on a now defunct board of others noticing the same thing. I didn't notice any odd wear, tho.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mike wrote:

Anyone else experience this, or have any idea why it may have worn this way?

=============

Bet ya you got your tires mounted and balanced @ your favorite dealership...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always have un-even tire wear on the front. I wull run Pilot Road on rear and Pilot Sport on front. I avg. 6500 on rear and 8000 on front (down to wear bar's only). The rear seems to wear evenly.
Joe

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Pressure

jlb125 said:
I always have un-even tire wear on the front. I wull run Pilot Road on rear and Pilot Sport on front. I avg. 6500 on rear and 8000 on front (down to wear bar's only). The rear seems to wear evenly.
Joe
Check your pressure on the front ( 38 - 40 ) however 8,000 is very good.
I change mine at the same time ( front and rear ) about every 4,500 or 6,000 miles.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Left Side Tire Wear

It might sound a little elemental but most roads are crowned towards the center which makes the left side of your tires load slightly more which, my tire guy tells me, is one of the reasons for increased wear on the left. Just an observation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Elemental

GloveGuy said:
It might sound a little elemental but most roads are crowned towards the center which makes the left side of your tires load slightly more which, my tire guy tells me, is one of the reasons for increased wear on the left. Just an observation.
Even more elemental is the fact that left turns are longer than right turns.
Longer turns = more left sied tire wear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tire wear

AZDrifterus said:
Even more elemental is the fact that left turns are longer than right turns.
Longer turns = more left sied tire wear.
This has been hashed over many times here and the wear IS caused by the crown of the road. The members from OZ report the same wear on the right as they ride on the left. Follow a bike down the road and look at the contact patch.
H

·
Registered
148 Posts
HGP3 said:
This has been hashed over many times here and the wear IS caused by the crown of the road. The members from OZ report the same wear on the right as they ride on the left. Follow a bike down the road and look at the contact patch.
H
Road crown does contribute some to left side wear but..........
It's been proven thru testing that left hand turns contribute more to the left side wear than road crown. This is because left hand turns are taken at higher rates of speed than right hand turns and this scrubs more rubber off the tire. Add the fact that the K bikes Pull To The Right and it really can distroy a front tire in 5-7K miles. You may not even notice the PTTR if it's happening slightly. If it's very slight, you'll be counter steering to the left to correct it without noticing that your doing it. That really eats a tire up when it's constantly scrubbing off rubber. If your left arm is fatiged durring along trip, it may be because your counter steering to compensate for the PTTR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are all wrong

The 97-02 RS wears the rear evenly.

The later bikes had a wider rear tyre to please the vanity of all those that thought the rear looked skinny. The spacer was needed to clear the paralever.

Fit an RS rear wheel and the problem goes away and the bike tracks straight. You can place a plank either side of the rear and measure the diferent offset to the front wheel.

It is the same as half the width of the spacer.

RS handles better too, but the throttle spring will give you white finger or pins and needles.

Live Long and Ride Free

·
Registered
148 Posts
Everyone has their own opnion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts