BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 k1200gt and am looking for an underseat exhaust kit. Does anyone know if there is a kit out there and if it is any good?

·
Registered
879 Posts
From the old archives...

Under Seat Exhaust Kit? [re: DavidEllzey]

No kits are available and sadly.... all 4 companies we asked to design bailed on the project....TWO said heat was a serious obstacle

Major bummer...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Given that I've seen early K1200 photos of saddlebags that have melted all the way through due to exhaust heat, I'd say they were right not to design such an exhaust for the K1200

·
Registered
234 Posts
EricM said:
Same reason why two Brother's will not make a pipe for the K12.

ERic

Dude...2 Bros definitely DOES make pipes for the K bikes. As a matter of fact I have one on my '02.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
oneydee said:
Dude...2 Bros definitely DOES make pipes for the K bikes. As a matter of fact I have one on my '02.
Dude....let's see a pic of your UNDER-SEAT 2 Bros exhaust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
milkman said:
Dude....let's see a pic of your UNDER-SEAT 2 Bros exhaust.

"Same reason why two Brother's will not make a pipe for the K12."

This doesn't look like a comment about under seat systems. That's why I replied like I did.

·
Registered
133 Posts
lets not get excited!

I am not saying they don't make pipes for the K (I have one on the Bike) they just don't make CARBON FIBER because of the F____ heat produced!

Eric

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
carbon fiber?

EricM said:
I am not saying they don't make pipes for the K (I have one on the Bike) they just don't make CARBON FIBER because of the F____ heat produced!
Eric
carbon fiber?...who's talkin about carbon fiber?....this thread was about under-seat exhaust for the GT!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow

Seems like you guys are all hitting the pipe a little too hard if you know what I am talking about.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
good idea...

mgossen said:
Seems like you guys are all hitting the pipe a little too hard if you know what I am talking about.
That reminds me....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whoa

Need a light Man?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't want to talk specificaly about carbon fiber. My initial response was meerly to comment on the heat produced by the K following a message from Jack69:

"Given that I've seen early K1200 photos of saddlebags that have melted all the way through due to exhaust heat, I'd say they were right not to design such an exhaust for the K1200"

Sorry for the confusion!

Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
K1200 Under Seat Exhaust

A while ago there was a thread on the "Best Looking K-Bikes" somewhere on the forum. One of the bikes posted on there had under seat exhaust. As it was twin pipes, I suspect it was a custom job and was divided into two to try to spread heat over a wider area, not to mention that it really looked cool. I suspect someone spent some really good bucks on it because it looked factory. There was no owner's name with the bike, but maybe some research?

If I could buy it for a reasonable price, I would do it in a minute.

Cycle_Gator
aka Tim
'04 K1200RS

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's the pic in question....

Exhaust is the easy part... basically tack on a R1100S muffler system..

Hard part is replacing the rear-end of the K12 with R1100S to allow space for the pipes..

Definately custom job, but one I would definately contemplate....

http://www.jumatec.de/bmw_umbauten.html

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I remember some site in Deutchland developing a water-jacket-cooled under-seat exhaust specifically for the K12 ? Anyone know if any progress was made...

I recall the plan was to replace the cat with a small water reservoir with cooling fins to dissepate the heat from the exhaust gasses, before passing on to duel-layered air-cooled mufflers under-seat exiting between the indicators and license plate light.

I recall their main issue was weight. S/S system added 20kg's. Carbon Fibre should reduce that substantially.

Installation also required removal of rear mud-guard and replacement with hugger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is a site of the K1200 site in Germany. the pictures are on this page:

http://www.k1200rs.de/page7/page2/page2.html

On the last part of this page you can see several K12's with underseat pipes, as well as other changed K12 machinery.

http://www.k1200rs.de is the home page of the German K12 lovers. nice pictures of tours in the Schwarzwald (black forest) and Italy. some ugly dudes btw.

kind regards,
Frits van Straten

1 - 20 of 22 Posts