BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Michael.

Some of us may remember those pictures you posted from the BMW gathering in Garmish Partenkirchen this year of that 'Russian' K1200S with underseat exhaust.. this looks more correct in my mind. The Russian you could actually see the rear of bike was 'lifted' to facilitate room for exhaust....

Actually I am a bit wondering WHY....Wunderlich of Germany didn't take our member 'hass' great solution to both underseat exhaust and tail cover... as I know that 'hass' sent his picture to Wunderlich...did you ever get a feed-back 'hass'???
Below, 'hass' K1200SS ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
What a nice clean design, I'd get one, please keep us posted and thanks. Quick question though, for the engineers here: if you have to jack up the rear to make it fit, and you want to do that to a certain extent for spirited riding anyway, is there any downside to having it in that position permanently?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been waiting for something like this to come out. I am very interested in the undertail exhaust.

IMHO, this is how it should have been from the factory. Can you buy this setup anywhere currently?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think that this looks pretty good. I like the idea of an underseat exhaust.

It would look better I think if the turn signals could somehow be relocated to the sides like on the R1100S. In their current location they give the already busy area a sandwiched look.

Franklin

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol ... thats an r1100s zorst..

Boris

·
Registered
293 Posts
While I understand that everyone has the right to personal choice I believe the underseat exhaust style is way over-rated. The negatives I can see are:
- raised centre of gravity and handling issues
- increased complexity of bends, fitting and comparative weight
- increased opportunity for gas flow restriction points
- radiant heat issues for adjacent structure and bodies
- increased worst-case risk of legs etc going into a fully exposed rear wheel if the bike is put down.

On the positive side of the balance:
- maximum ground clearance for extreme cornering
- easy removal of the rear wheel if the mechanicals allow
- possible appeal of a less massive, uncluttered look for the bike

I can't think of any other compelling benefits of an under-seat exhaust however I am happy to be enlightened.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
221 Posts
Uhhh, sorry guys, but I didn't think that setup looked good at all. It just didn't appear right. The back half of the seat is too high, and the lines just don't flow. That said, I suppose that's why I love motorcycles. What some guys don't like, others rave about. It sure keeps things interesting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If they can solve the clearance issue WITHOUT jacking the rear, I would be interested. The quality would have to first rate too.

Notice how the subframe mounting point was moved on the lower frame rail.

That's the kind of 2nd rate solution that would prevent me from buying it.

Since this is a prototype, hopefully they will solve the problem if they bring it to production.

BTW... those monster size license plates are horrible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I emailed the company developing the undertail exhaust and here is there response to when it would be available:

"thanking you very much for your interest in our underseat exhaust. The
exhaust is still in construction stage and will be available for our
customers in February/March 2006 at the earliest. Our website will keep you
informed on the progress.

Regards,

Steffen Beyerle"

I to hope they can solve the clearance issue without the jacking up of the frame rail as xlr8r has stated. Other than that it looks pretty decent to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Underseat

Looks good...I assume that by the time it's ready for release, all of the obvious concerns will have been addressed. thanks for the info.
Christian

·
Registered
33 Posts
R1 ride anyone???

Yeah right, if you have played with a new R1 or anything else pushed hard you'd think twice about burning your butt!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
4 Guns!!

Glad somebody else is working on it.. I actually looked at it myself.. and unlike the K1200RS... it looks like it would be a relatively easy thing to figure out. Except.. unlike the 2 can set-up of das German dude.. I was thinking about using the MV Agusta F4 pipes and having 4 guns out the rear..

The benefits of the F4 pipes are...

1. they are designed to also be a rear fender..
2. are already set-up to mount at EXACTLY the same place as our S header exits behind the foot peg. a match made in heaven..
3. The main body of them is flatter.. slimmer so, in theory, the rear of the bike wouldn't need to be raised...
4. The MV pipes already have allowances for license plate mounting directly under the pipes.
5. The bends aren't as extreme and the lenghts look just about right.
6. The final visuals should produce stronger, longer lasting erections.

Me thinks they would look SWEET... Opinions?

The ONLY downside I can see for an underseat for the S is getting to the seat removal key hole just after a ride. I see no way of doing it without letting the pipes cool down before sticking your hand in there.. I could be wrong...

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's the way it should have been done in the first place!

It looks way better tucked under the tail like that.. and I'm sure there is less drag too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
While the F4 is one seriously exotic piece of machinery, all that "volume" of structure up high behind the rider just looks outlandish to me. Muffler-heated, hot assed pillions who are happy with their knees up by their ears - to keep their feet on the high pegs - are the only passenger possible. What's wrong with a light, well designed muffler hanger that puts the exhaust a little above axle height. No CoGrav issues, no radiant heat, no worst case leg in the open wheel issues and a broader range of potential passengers other than very flexible 16 year old tarts or lady dwarfs - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
531 Posts
i don't see what all the excitement is over underseat exhaust systems and i don't see any real benefit to underseat exhaust systems. if there is any serious benefit to underseat exhaust i'd be very interested in hearing it. it seems to me it's more of a styling thing than anything else. if i had the bread i would definately buy a MV Augusta and on the MV the underseat exhaust looks fantastic but on the "S" the underseat exhaust leaves much to be desired. this is my opinion only and for those that like underseat exhaust more power to you i'm only voicing my opinion and not critisizing anyone else. ride safe and Merry Christmas to all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts