BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 04 GT and I've never owned a bike that scared me the way this one does. Forget riding in any type of wind at all as it feels like you and the bike are going to end up blown across the road. I just returned from a rather brief ride after realizing the wind gusts were just overpowering. Today they are up to 25 miles per hour which this bike doesn't seem to handle well at all. I'm considering keeping my R1150 RS which I have for sale and selling this one instead. The front of the bike is very jittery and has been since I got it. I've followed the tire pressure suggestions etc and even on fairly calm days there will be more than one occasion where I'm freaked out by the bikes handling characteristics. Is it me? I have to say I could ride my Harley (sorry) in wind, rain etc and not be scared I'm gonna blow away. I really thought I would enjoy this bike, but its very hairy to ride. My RS was a blast to ride, handled great but of course being a speed freak I wanted the GT, now I'm uncertain if I made the right choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a 04gt and have been in 40 mph cross winds and have had no trouble. This is at between 70 and 80 mph. You just need to lean into the wind a little and relax. The bike will handle it no sweat. I came off a cruiser also, and it does take a while to get used to the different feel. When you do, however, you won't want to go back.

Take care,

·
Registered
418 Posts
Flighty??

I have never heard of or experienced the instability you describe.I too have an 04 and rode 8500 km last summer in 2 weeks.It ran and handled flawlessly .Does your bike have bar backs?Worn out tires?Frame bent or misaligned?Have you had it to a shop?

·
Registered
531 Posts
it must be you & not the bike

it must be you and not the bike.....i've ridden my krs in sustained 35 kt winds and the bike cut through the wind like a knife through hot butter. i've had tractor trailers pass me from the opposite direction in tunnels and the wind blast from the truck had no effect on the RS. i feel very comfortable riding my bike in windy, rainy conditions and while i hate riding in the rain the KRS feels solid and steadfast on wet surfaces even up to 70 mph. i've had my bike up to 140 mph with no drifting, no vibration, very little felt wind blast it's amazing how steady the RS is at high speeds. in 3 years of owning my 03 RS i've never felt scared or uncomfortable riding her.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My 04 KRS is rock steady in wind. I never noticed anything but a feeling of safe riding with the BMW. I also have a Harley Road King and the extra 200+ lbs doesn't help keep that bike as stable as the RS. My Duc ST4s is not as solid feeling as the BMW. My guess is that either there is something not right with the bike or maybe you just are not used to it. When I first got my Duc ST4s, I returned home on a short ride in the wind. It didn't feel safe, but in reality I was just not used to the Duc in the wind.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an '04 K RS which is rock steady in ~25 mph cross winds, just like the many other replies here. Your experience is not typical. Perhaps test ride a used GT at a dealer?

Ron

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same as the others....rock steady. On a trip with a lot of other brands and 40+ mph crosswinds, I was the only one not complaining about being blown all around.

You didn't say if you purchased new or used, how many miles are on it, tire condition, etc.

Two potential easy things:

1) Relax. Don't put a death grip on the bars and see if that helps. Many have stated that until they did this they were blown all over the road by semis. After relaxing, no problems.

2) IF your front wheel has been off for any reason, slightly loosen up the axle and bolts around it (finger tight so it is not too loose). Mount your steed and push up and down a few times to compress the front end and let everything fall into place, THEN tighten the axle, then the two bolts. This has fixed many users swerve problems.

If the problem is still there, take it to the dealer!

Good luck!

Randy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike had 5300 miles on it when I bought it and I realize its a different ride than I'm used to, however I went back out this aafternoon on my 1150 RS and had no problem what so ever. The tires were replaced at the dealer prior to my purchase. I'll give your suggestions a try. I've been trying to relax my grip on the handlebars as I have been reading posts on this site regarding what I've been experiencing. I literally felt like I was going to be blown off the road today. I live in Texas and am still getting used to the different type of riding here as I have only lived here 4 months. I came from Florida where the riding was about as flat, straight and boring as you could possibly get.
I've played with tire pressures and the rear suspension trying to alleviate the problem. The dealer rep rode the bike and commented on how in tune with the road the bike felt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was out ridding the other day when it was very windy, tree limbs on the road, etc. My biggest concern was parking the 04 GT in such a way it would not blow over when I got to my destination. Big gusts shake you a little, but the bike almost corrects on it own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:confused: :confused: :confused:

What brought this on? :eek:

Do you know this member or something the rest of us don't?

Is your post supposed to be a joke? If so, use an emoticon to let us know!

If not, sit back and relax and have a drink, light one up or whatever you need ot do to calm down.....the guy asked what seemed like a legitimate question and, based on his post, he could have a serious problem.

Randy

·
Registered
250 Posts
maccycle,just ride it ,relax,you will get to know the bike,assuming no mechanical problems. I am a little guy,135 lbs. and have no problems with my GT in any conditions,wind,rain,fast or slow it handles like it's on rails.

·
Registered
531 Posts
george_in_KG, regardless of your intent i thought your post was funny as shit and to be honest my first impression of the original post was that there was a troll among us but i gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. if nothing else the RS and GT are rock solid on the road regardless the conditions. either there's an issue with his bike or an issue with him and i hope he figures out which one because the GT and RS are serious fun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
maccycle,

Hope you and George know each other and this is a joke. This is not the usual help you would receive on this board. When new my 03GT was not unstable and not squirrelly but did 'move' around a bit at speeds. It was sort of like the feeling you get when on grooved pavement but not as pronounced There was a discussion back then about some bad front ball joints but my serial number did not fit into the range of defectives. I noted that it slowly got better and by ~6K on the odo I was not feeling it anymore. Now by this time I had a new set of tires and had replaced the GT windscreen with a stock RS. So, was it tires, windscreen, bad ball joint that bedded in, I learned the bike, or some combination? Dunno. The bike is a great bike. Work through it. Ride a demo bike. Have the dealer look at it. Have another K12'r ride yours. Figure it out but don't quit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
George,
One of the things I,ve never liked about the motorcycle community is morons like you who seem to think just because they ride a certain type of motorcycle that makes them better than everyone who doesn't. Typical........little man big fat filthy mouth. There are numerous posts on this site refereing to instability, but of course your a "SENOIR MEMBER" so I assume you are somehow more esteemed than someone like myself who by the way the last time I checked had no rodents inside their rectum. I suggest you crawl from behind the huge cardboard monument you have erected to yourself and try having a little respect for others.

·
Registered
796 Posts
1998 k1200 rs. first BMW but the 20th or 30 th bike i've owned,not sure as I stopped counting. I worked as a bike wrench years ago and test rode a lot of different bikes. I have to say the one point this bike has is its rock solid feel on any road conditions.High cross winds feel like I'm going to be blown off the bike but the bike doesnt even quiver. Seems to be sensitive to tire wear, pressure, and brand. But even at its worse its been rock stable. Even a flat and destroyed rear tire at 130 plus riding 2 up felt stable.
Have the bike checked out again, something is very wrong. It appears you ride a lot so I dont think its rider error or sexual preference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts