BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Unidentified extra rubbers

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KeithBrown 
#1 ·
Does anyone recognise these rubbers? One was squished under my battery and the other was sat loose in the abs controller well next door. They are about 17 diameter and 17 long. I get worried by strays.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Loose parts found where they should not be. That can be a stumper. If I had to guess (and that's all it is) I'd say they could be rubber seat mounts. Since the seat gets removed a lot, they may have pulled loose and fallen down to where you found them. Next time I pull my seat off, I'll take a look.

#4 · (Edited)
These 2 rubbers go between the battery lower box and the battery cover. See attached photo AND attached parts diagram from BMW.

Normally when you remove the battery cover (2 long screws from top), these 2 rubbers stay attached with the screws as there is enough friction between their small inner holes and the screw threads. It is NOT required to pull these 2 long screws completely up - just unscrew enough from lower battery box AND after you pull cover up and everything should stay together (metal cover + screws + rubbers).

These rubber are not critical as the battery cover can be attached without these. However, they serve as some form of cushion and vibration damping for some battery that fit fairly tight within the box. Some 3rd party replacement equivalent battery are just a bit higher or lower than the stock battery, so these rubber might not compress in some installation.

You are NOT the 1st rider asking this.... so other have done the same mistake when removing the battery cover ;-)

Attachments

#5 ·
Amazing, thank you, I will sleep easy tonight once they are back in place. The previous owner had kindly put the new battery in, but not returned the rubbers to their rightful place. The only reason I found the one in the abs tray, was that I dropped one of the terminal screws in there when I removed the battery to make sure it was fully charged.
Thanks 'O wise one' and fountain of knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.