BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Update on the "BMW" Tank Bag

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Ruben 
#1 ·
I spoke with BMW while at the National in Vermont and they are very aware of the problem with the GT tank bag and a "new" version is in the works. I was told I would be able to replace mine under warranty. In the meantime, they supported me cutting the straps back from the foam protector to give more adjustment range. I've done this and solved the underlying problem. However, for the kind of money they charged I plan on having it replaced with the modified version.

#2 ·
SKIZIKS said:
I spoke with BMW while at the National in Vermont and they are very aware of the problem with the GT tank bag and a "new" version is in the works. I was told I would be able to replace mine under warranty. In the meantime, they supported me cutting the straps back from the foam protector to give more adjustment range. I've done this and solved the underlying problem. However, for the kind of money they charged I plan on having it replaced with the modified version.
I am not sure which problem you are talking about. To me there are a 2, but neither are showstoppers:

1. Hard left activates the 'horn' ANNOYING
2. Not enough adjustment in straps to really tighten down (my 12GS is rock solid} BTW, doesn't seem to be a problem other than an annoyance as it doesn't more around while riding. CROSSING THE STRAPS AT THE SEAT EATS UP A TAD OF SLACK.

Keep us informed. $300+ for a bag and it ought to be perfect!

If I read more carefully I see you are talking about the adjustment. Sorry. I was going to take to a local guy, cut them, and then have them double-stitched sewn back on.
Should we contact our dealer now, or wait???

#4 ·
jpalamaro said:
Should we contact our dealer now, or wait???
I've contacted my dealer just to make him aware of the problem and to be on the look out for the new version. He's contacting BMW Canada for an update.

BTW, when you cut back the straps, and the threads are pulled from the underlying foam protector, the foam protector easily tears at the thread perforations. Primarily for this reason, I expect a new tank bag, even though a guy with a good sewing machine, as you suggest, could refinish the straps.

#5 ·
SKIZIKS said:
I've contacted my dealer just to make him aware of the problem and to be on the look out for the new version. He's contacting BMW Canada for an update.

BTW, when you cut back the straps, and the threads are pulled from the underlying foam protector, the foam protector easily tears at the thread perforations. Primarily for this reason, I expect a new tank bag, even though a guy with a good sewing machine, as you suggest, could refinish the straps.
Out of curiosity was anything said about 'blowing the horn' with hard left turns." Sometimes I forget backing out of a parking spot and the damn horn blows (I usually park uphill blah blah so I now never start the engine until wheels are straight...or at least not hard left
)

Heck, the other day in the parking lot I got a nasty look from a guy in a truck just cuz the horn sounded and he was stopped in front of me. Imagine the "...no, no, don't shoot me I wasn't blowing my horn at you, it's my tank bag, honest"!

#6 ·
John,

That was mentioned. When the bag is tightened correctly towards the rear of the tank, this is no longer a problem in my experience.

I did forget to mention when speaking with BMW that it does get "damp", even when properly closed. I've noticed some dampness inside at the front after riding in driving rain for several hours. So it is NOT completely water proof.

#7 ·
SKIZIKS said:
John,

That was mentioned. When the bag is tightened correctly towards the rear of the tank, this is no longer a problem in my experience.

I did forget to mention when speaking with BMW that it does get "damp", even when properly closed. I've noticed some dampness inside at the front after riding in driving rain for several hours. So it is NOT completely water proof.
Ok, if I understand then if I can get the bag back a bit (but cannot because of inability to adjust rear straps) the horn issue is eliminated?

#9 ·
I am glad Bmw is doing soemthing.

If all goes as planned then i should be picking up my bike in less then 30 days. Yeasterday, I talked to the dealer and confirmed the tank bag order.

I told him that i heard the bag had some issues with its design. Does anybody have any ideas when a new tank bag may be ready. I would imagine alot of bikes are about to be shipped.

Retroboy.

#11 ·
Da Yooper Guy

SKIZIKS said:
That's been my experience. YMMV.
Cut the treads back 2" and then double stich cross ways at the end. that will do it. The bag also leaks in the zipper part under the cover were I kept my manual, that sucks and also in front of the main part of the bag. I keep my bars down, the dealer raised them up a little to stop the Bombay taxi cab horn from beeping. When I got home I cut the stiching and lowered my bars again. :hanged

Wi IBMWR Plate Holder

#13 ·
mser said:
Anybody seen one of these? Haven't seen the BMW bag, but this one is big enough to suit my needs.

Mike
'06 GT
Yes, I have one of those on mine. I originally had it on my 04' K1200GT, and moved it over. The quality isn't the greatest, but it works great for my radar detector + Mix-it audio amplifier + mini-disk player until I get around to mounting all my stuff permanently.

If you use the map pocket, it's really small, but the good part is that the bag is small enough to pop it off and drop it into a saddlebag when stopped. And, the price is sure right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.