BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on this forum that some of you have had your ECU's replaced for driveablity issues (RS's and GT's).

Could anyone clue me in what were the symptoms that lead to the need of ECU replacement?

If you had experienced performance issues, did BMW replace this at no cost?

Is BMW honoring some kind of 'no questions asked' replacement under warranty through December? ( provided you made some legit complaint)

And finally, did your new ECU perform any better than the old ECU? I have the '04 RS.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ECU replacement

My 03 GT never had any problems. I've slept many times since I last read about the ECU replacement but from what I recall the symptoms are poor, unsteady idle and lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had my ecu replaced on my 03' zebra last year . made a world of difference in throttle response and acceleration at speed during throttle roll-on. bought the bike new and from day 1 it would die on initial drive off at first stop light. also had a flat spot on run up. all solved with ecu replacement. 26k miles and 40 plus mpg.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the CPU replaced on my '04 GT

The symptoms on my bike were exactly those which I recall as first getting my attention over at the dearly departed I-BMW.com

Namely, although the bike would always start right up the motor would bog/die upon any quick throttle application until warmed up a bit.
Slow, deliberate throttle application could be achieved, but a quick twist would not fly.
Additionally, once warmed the idle would occasionally fluctuate for no apparent reason by as much as a few hundred RPM.

The CPU replacement totally remedied those two conditions on my bike.

I can't say that I notice any other improvement in performance with the exception of fuel mileage.
I'm fairly obsessive about tracking my MPG on anything I own. Before CPU swap I was 'round 41ish, after swap 43ish.

My.02

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cpu

I have recently purchased an 04, GT and have been reading with interest about the CPU. I felt that I might not need one until I just read your post about the startup. I also experience the slow throttle response on startup. After a few moments it has better response. But, I have noticed when down shifting sometimes that if I am to match RPMs with a little bit of throttle it is slow to respond. I keep thinking that I should have better throttle response and then I think well this is my first BMW and maybe this is just characteristic of the 4 cyl. BMWs. Now, reading the last two posts gets me thinking that I should be talking to the dealer if this offer is over in December.

Thank you all for your help!

Ben

·
Registered
848 Posts
I did the change

I did the change under warrantee. However, I did not notice any problems before. After it was done, my gas milage went up from 40 +/- to 50 +/- .

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Throttle response when cold (engine, not necessarily outside temps) has some hesitation. Goes away after a couple of minutes, but for me, in less than a couple of minutes I was at a signal making a right onto a freeway onramp. Pick a gap in traffic or wait for the green light. After it died from a take-off at that intersection a couple of times, the bike wamed up in the driveway.

Service writer initially wasn't interested, as I have a penchant for getting information off the internet, and lord knows that the internet is fraught with mis-information. Told him on cold mornings it was a serious throttle response issue (I had to have a bit of stretch for this guy) and asked if he could check my VIN. It was listed...and about a month later, I had a new one. NO throttle hesitation since then, and 2MPG improvement overall. Getting on the freeway onramp is now a no-brainer. Giddy-up-and-go is there in spades.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does this apply to the 02 models? I have a few of those symptoms but they are not real bad. My mileage is in the high 30s.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
There ya go Lucky...

...straight from the horses' mouths.

My ECU change is coming up...hopefully,it improves performance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Contact BMWNA, describe your symptoms and give them your VIN...they will tell you if your model would have been affected. Mine, an 04 GT was made in June of 04 and just missed the bad ecu's by a month or two. So far this week...temps in the 30's, it starts the first time, and I have no stalling of any kind (though I don't try to gun it right away either).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Replacement

I have just got off the phone with BMW of North America and the gentlemen told me that the service bulletin for the ECU is Sevice Bulletin No. 1300204(057). This Bulletin is titled as the Throttle Response When Starting from Cold K1200 RS/GT. 03 - 04 only. The part no. is 13617657296 . The cut off is April of 2004, mine was manufactured in March of 2004 so I guess I qualify. He told me that any one after that date would have the new ECU.

Just thought I would relay the information to you all

Ben

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great info. I'll have them check for open campaigns.:bmw:

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's worth it.

I had mine done yesterday. It used to be that my 2004 K1200GT would stall unless it warmed up for 15 minutes or more. The dealer changed the ECU yesterday -- fully covered by warranty -- and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does anyone know when the start date is supposed to be for the bad ECU's? I called BMWNA customer service (1-800-831-1117) and gave them my VIN# and build date of 09/03 for my '04 KGT and was told it was not in the date range affected by TSB 1300204.57 ... I haven't noticed any severe symptoms w/ slow throttle response or erratic idle (yet) but don't want to be left behind after the cutoff if there's a possibility that I might have a defective ECU. Gas mileage has been anywhere from low 30's to low 40's depending on how 'spirited' I've ridden off that tank-full. Generally fast backroads riding in 4th and 5th will net low to mid-30's; more constant-speed touring in 5th and 6th will see low to mid 40's. Is this in line w/ 'normal' mileage figures for the K/GT? Anyone else in the general build date of my bike been told anything different? Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ecu

After replacement in my 04 GT, the idle was steady and hesitation cold gone. Also noticed it will ping ( spark knock ) when crowded in a high gear. Never heard any ping any way before replacement. Overall runs and starts better, I'm guessing it gets better mileage, judging from the spark knock ( timing must be hotter or curved more sharply )

·
Registered
501 Posts
My '03 KRS was built in Feb of 2003 and it qualified. Works better in many ways than before the replacement. I don't think you'll find that the part number is different for the new ECU vs. the old one. I think it covers all '03 models, I believe they made a change to the oxy sensor. It isn't an official 'campaign' either, just a TSB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CPU and idle

When warm, my gt will idle at 800 for a few sconds. Then for no reason, it will jump to 1000 for a few seconds. Did your bike do anything like that before or after the cpu replacement?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
williagw said:
When warm, my gt will idle at 800 for a few sconds. Then for no reason, it will jump to 1000 for a few seconds. Did your bike do anything like that before or after the cpu replacement?
Currently on my '04 RS, at cold starts it shows no symptoms of irratic idle. It starts up with a faster cold idle and gradually rpms will reduce to normal warm idle. Restarts with warm engine seems fine too. I'm running the 91 octane and original ECU.

·
Registered
227 Posts
williagw said:
I think the most important symptom for the ECU replacement is "cold bloodedness", that is, the engine dies when you give it throttle when it's cold. Gradually gets better up to normal operating temperature where it runs fine. So if it's half warm, the enigne will stumble but not die when you give it throttle.

My '04 RS had this symptom and replacing the ECU cured it.

Ron

1 - 20 of 71 Posts