BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded their headlamp bulbs? (2000RS SE)
I'm considering Philips GT150's from Nippy Normans... am I likely to notice any difference?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
silverstars

I put the silverstars in mine, no real difference and to be honest I dont think our lights are all that bad. I added some catz fog lights below the coolers to light up the sides of the road better at night time unfamiliar territories. But the lights seem better than any of my earlier bikes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Razel said:
Don't recall hearing about GT150's. Usually it's the Phillips "Vision Plus" or PIAA's something-or-other that put out more light (whether actually true or not is probably grounds for a debate). The stock H7 bulb is a bit anemic
I agree, the plus bulbs claiming more light could be a subject for debate. Most of those are still running 55 watts claiming 100watt of light.

I purchased some 65watts H7's from candlepower. The bulbs deliver 2100 Lumens. Slightly better than the stock 55's. Made by Osram, good german quality bulbs. These bulbs are likely 'not' available at your local parts house.

Here's the site you can order the 65w H7: http://www.candlepowerinc.com/products.html If thats not enough, you're better off getting a set of aux. lights. or get home before dark...:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's an expensive option, but effetive: an HID kit will make a remarkable difference over the stock. I've been able to compare the two side-by-side and it is impressive. I decided on another route rather than spend the money on HID

The pattern on the headlight really doesn't make best use of the light. I decided to go with PIAA auxilliary lights mounted under the oil cooler. It's about half the price of an HID kit, and makes a huge improvement - one that I think is better than replacing the stock headlight with HID.

If you want to stick with headlight replacement, perhaps start with Philips vision plus (the euro spec bulb).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Headlight adjustment

May sound simple, but recommend getting your headlight alignment checked before spending big money - I spent first few weeks with mine thinking how rubbish headlight was before it was properly adjusted at service and now happy with standard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Upgrading headlamp bulb

I tried all the bulb upgrades and all were disappointing until I did the HID conversion. Being visually challenged at night, the HID install was the best upgrade I have done to the K12. A couple of years ago, we had dinner at the YO Ranch as part of the Hill Country Rally. Located some miles from Kerrville, we made the ride back after dark. There were deer everywhere. In the ditches on both sides of the road. After getting back to the hotel, we commented on how many deer there were. "What deer?" was the reply from those with non-HID lighting. I was sold. Sure they are expensive and a little bit if a challenge to install, but how do you put a price on safety? Even in the daytime, you stand out because of the blue/white color. Just do it and never look back!

Regards,

Barry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Barry said:
I tried all the bulb upgrades and all were disappointing until I did the HID conversion. Being visually challenged at night, the HID install was the best upgrade I have done to the K12. A couple of years ago, we had dinner at the YO Ranch as part of the Hill Country Rally. Located some miles from Kerrville, we made the ride back after dark. There were deer everywhere. In the ditches on both sides of the road. After getting back to the hotel, we commented on how many deer there were. "What deer?" was the reply from those with non-HID lighting. I was sold. Sure they are expensive and a little bit if a challenge to install, but how do you put a price on safety? Even in the daytime, you stand out because of the blue/white color. Just do it and never look back!

Regards,

Barry
Ride after dark in Kerrville? Are you mad man? :D
The litter of dead deer every morning when we started out was enough to convince me.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Barry,

I remember that ride. Scary. Damn scary. Little glowing eyes watching you all the way back from the Y.O. Ranch to the hotel. Even on I-10, the little buggers leering at you from the side of the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Upgrading the headlight...

I just added a low beam HID kit from Xenon Depot. The improvement is excellent. I spent a long time adjusting the headlight and I think the result is great. Just came back from the ldrider Deming BBQ in New Mexico which included some riding at night. BTW I also still use the PIAA 1100Xs mounted under the oil cooler and adjusted them (crossed) so I get the edges of the road when leaned over. I am very happy with the light set up now.

Charlie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Piaas and motolights

I have Piaa bulbs and motolights. I am very happy with both the light output and placement.
Another reason I like the motolights, is that they swivel with the forks. Makes manouvering around a dark parking lot easier. :cool:

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
We had a blast ...

Barry said:
........ A couple of years ago, we had dinner at the YO Ranch as part of the Hill Country Rally. Located some miles from Kerrville, we made the ride back after dark. There were deer everywhere. In the ditches on both sides of the road. After getting back to the hotel, we commented on how many deer there were. "What deer?" was the reply from those with non-HID lighting.............
We blasted down 41 at 80+, then I-10 at 90+. Had a great time outshinning all other bikes we passed. Phillips Vision Plus, Optilux fog lights, and proper aiming. One HID bike had great light at the Y.O. as long as you were only looking 100 feet ahead. Aim is critical as well.

p.s. What deer? :confused:

(Just kidding about "what deer". They are thick down there.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
coynerc said:
I just added a low beam HID kit from Xenon Depot. The improvement is excellent. I spent a long time adjusting the headlight and I think the result is great. Just came back from the ldrider Deming BBQ in New Mexico which included some riding at night. BTW I also still use the PIAA 1100Xs mounted under the oil cooler and adjusted them (crossed) so I get the edges of the road when leaned over. I am very happy with the light set up now.

Charlie
I am interested in getting HID conversion as well. Did you do any research or comparisons? Xtralights.com sells them too.

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Upgrading Headlights

laddie said:
I am interested in getting HID conversion as well. Did you do any research or comparisons? Xtralights.com sells them too.

Thanks,
Not really, www.xenondepot.com showed up in a thread on the ldrider list. Price was $199. They are located in Canada but delivery was in about a week to me in CA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Low Cost Lighting Upgrade

I have replaced the stock 55W bulb with a 70W H7 Halogen Fog/Driving lamp made by CEC. I'm satisfied with the output and visability now. The bulb was around $10.00. I purchased it from Import Part Warehouse, 501 Kalamath St, Denver, Colorado 80204-5021
(303) 825-2000.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I tried the so called 'blue lamps 50% extra brightness" on my cage and it made about 10% difference! There's limits over here on putting in bigger lamps, so changing to expensive discharge should give best improvement over any tungsten.

Recently I was followed by a cage who had just put his HID's on and I thought 'they're not too bright,' then after several minutes they warmed up and were bright in my rearview mirror. This is a normal effect for most household discharge lamps has anybody with HID's noticed this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
35 Posts
voxmagna said:
I tried the so called 'blue lamps 50% extra brightness" on my cage and it made about 10% difference! There's limits over here on putting in bigger lamps, so changing to expensive discharge should give best improvement over any tungsten.

Recently I was followed by a cage who had just put his HID's on and I thought 'they're not too bright,' then after several minutes they warmed up and were bright in my rearview mirror. This is a normal effect for most household discharge lamps has anybody with HID's noticed this?
The HID's on my SAAB power up immediately. Well, within a second anyway. I have never noticed even a slight variation when driving. I am seriously considering upgrading the K to HID as the cage has really impressed me.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Upgrading the low-beams to HID is probably a good thing. Upgrading the hi-beams is probably a bad thing, or maybe not such a good thing. HID does take a bit of time to get to full power, and as hi-beams are also used for "messages" to oncoming traffic, they don't communicate well...they take too long, even at a second, to come to full power. However, the lo-beams are engaged when the bike is started, so they are going to be at full power by the time you head on down the road.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 34 Posts