BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use earbuds to listen to music while riding? I've tried it a couple of times but find it disconcerting not to be able to hear ambient noise and the cars around me. Regular out of the ear earphones seem safer to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
935 Posts

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
ear plugs

I use the ER6 from etymotic research and have not noticed them to block out all outside noise. I don't feel in the least unsafe while wearing them listening to tumes while riding. Earphones on the other hand need to be cranked up so much to block out the wind noise that the music is barely recognizable. actually this is in another thread currently running about headphones who uses them

·
Registered
873 Posts
Two thumbs WAAAYYY up for the ER6 earphone/plugs. What a pleasure to wear and listen to. I can even use my IPOD and ER6's on my lawn tractor which has to be twice as loud as my bike.
Admittedly expensive, probably the best $100 I've spent in a long time. Except maybe for that time in Amsterdam....

·
Registered
267 Posts
blitzmann said:
Two thumbs WAAAYYY up for the ER6 earphone/plugs. What a pleasure to wear and listen to. I can even use my IPOD and ER6's on my lawn tractor which has to be twice as loud as my bike.
Admittedly expensive, probably the best $100 I've spent in a long time. Except maybe for that time in Amsterdam....
I give the ER-6's one thumb up, the other down...I have had mine since June (overpaid for them at the rally, only 80 bucks on amazon.com now). I use them daily whenever I ride. Yesterday, the right stopped producing much sound...no big deal, as per their instructions, tried to do the filter replacement. Well, the metal ring that holds the on one of the rubber plug came off (which means the rubber part gets stuck in my ear (not fun). I super glued the right metal ring on tonight, hopefully it sticks. As much as I love these things, I hope these last more than a year...otherwise I will have to find another means for music. I cannot do without music anymore while riding, thanks to XM :)

I disagree with the bs about not being able to hear the bike ect with in ear headphones. It is no worse than listening to music in a car IMHO. Case in point, sunday I was at a stop light and heard sirens coming from somewhere...cager next to me didn't, he went thru the light and almost collided with the cop. If you ride often and don't have some form of hearing protection (the er's are, they block over 12db ), you are destroying your hearing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Koss Ear Buds - Koss Spark Plugs

Greetings,

I use either the Koss Ear Buds ($20) or Spark Plugs ($20). Both are in-the-canal earbuds that depending on volume level provides enough ambient noise to stay aware of your surroundings.

Incidently, I use the earbuds with the Treo 650 using Pocket-Tunes with a 1Gb SD card holding my music/playlists. These is a great setup for me as it gets rid of one electronic device. Also the PTunes has shoutcast.com capability allowing for streaming music in a covered area.

The earbuds provide the bass I was looking for as well as staying in place with the helmet.

Kaos

mgemmons said:
Does anyone use earbuds to listen to music while riding? I've tried it a couple of times but find it disconcerting not to be able to hear ambient noise and the cars around me. Regular out of the ear earphones seem safer to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
the plug

I have a set of the plugs by koss with the ER4 tips on them, they are my backup but not nearly as good soundig as the Etymotic er6's

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
etymotic

andy45320 said:
Yesterday, the right stopped producing much sound...no big deal, as per their instructions, tried to do the filter replacement. Well, the metal ring that holds the on one of the rubber plug came off (which means the rubber part gets stuck in my ear (not fun). I super glued the right metal ring on tonight, hopefully it sticks. As much as I love these things, I hope these last more than a year...otherwise I will have to find another means for music. I cannot do without music anymore while riding, thanks to XM :)
First time I took off the rubber parts for washing and then reassembled them one of them stopped producing sound. I pulled off the side of the road and fiddled around with both and for whatever reason the mute one started working. I don't understand what stopped or what I did to make it work again.

I've also noticed that the oem Apple buds give significantly more bass than the etymotic 6i. I tried the nano's EQ setting for extra bass and that seems to help quite a bit.

The etymotic flanged plugs do block out more road noise than my previous (no-music flange-style) earplugs. It may be just because they are new. I like it a lot, less tiring to ride that way. Some concern about traffic noise but I guess I'm so used to the sealing effect of the flange style.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Etymotic er6 ear buds are awesome!

I have both the er6 and er6i earplug speakers and they are worth every penny!

I have a helmet wired up with ChatterBox speakers/mics. for two up music and intercom/bike to bike. I also had J&M system on my prev bike...the er6's are far superior to the speakers...I always wear earplugs when using the speaker systems (doesn't everyone?) anyhow. I can hear cars and such around town...although I will admit it's hard to hear conversation off the bike when I have the music on...but I just smile and nod when I think it's appropriate :) but my riding pals have caught on to this by now and have gotten me to nod while they said that I'd be buying the group lunch on the next stop etc....so I guess there is a small drawback...but I would never ride without music again. I use a Creative Zen Micro 5GB MP3 Player , it has a ton of storage for all my fav tunes plus it has FM radio (and some other junk I don't use). highly recommended!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Shure Ear Buds

My wife has the Etymotic ER6s and I have a pair of Shure E2Cs. I have compared them taking one pair off and then immediately replacing with the other . The Shures sound better to me and can be found cheaper than the Etymotics. Cheaper by $50!
I had a real good line on a pair of the ER6s but passed them up for the Shures.
Mark

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought the ER-6 earphones from Etymotic. What a joke. NO bass with a very tinny sound. I can't believe the postiive reports I read on ER-6 phones on this site. I guess it just goes to show you that quality is in the ear of the beholder.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
You should have bought the Etymotic 6i not the ER-6.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, I believe you're right about the 6i. I'm disappointed that it's not clear about which you need. I didn't really want enhanced bass, I wanted true representation of the source. With all the "audiophile" talk about the 6, I thought they would be fine. Wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shure e3 and 34

I've been using Shure E3's and E4's since mid-summer. I recommend them strongly. The sound is very good. The E4's are a little better, but a little more money. Both are great at acting ss both earplugs and music transducers. I use the e4's with thw white extended plugs. Good compromise between fit, sound, and isoloation.

Once nice thing about the Shures is that they come with a failry wide variety of earplugs with different isolation damping strenghts. The more isoloation, the better the bass. But, you also lose more extraneous (read enviroonmental) noise. This is obviously desirable - to some extent. I choose to let some of the noise in for safety reasons on the bike. I also don't crank them up as loud as I might if I was just sitting around or walking. Again, to be safe, I want to hear some road noise.

All in all, they are a huge improvement over the Autocom speakers (with and without use of earplugs). I've read several articles on helmet noise - it turns out that over 60mph or so -ALL helmets are on the order of 104db of wind noise. That will damage hearing over time. So I was using the Autocom with ear plugs. Worked OK at best, but generally uncomfortable.

The Shure's give me the best of both worlds and are very very comfortable. I Mostly don't realize they are in. Net: if you can exercise a little restraint (don't play too loud, and don't over-isolate), isolation earplugs are the way to go.

BTW, haven't tried the Entomolycs - went with the Shure's because they seem to wired more ruggedly. The Enty wires look kindy fragile to me. A couple of people I've talked to who have tried both give them roughly equivalent sound quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
budcarrigan said:
I bought the ER-6 earphones from Etymotic. What a joke. NO bass with a very tinny sound. I can't believe the postiive reports I read on ER-6 phones on this site. I guess it just goes to show you that quality is in the ear of the beholder.
I haven't tried the Etymolics, but with the Shures, seating and choosing the right ear piece makes a HUGE difference in bass response. One site I checked out before buying suggested it takes a good 3 weeks of regular use before most people get the seating in their own ears really right. I think for me it probably took 2 weeks of just about everyday use.

Whith the Shures, the yellow foam-like pieces give me the best bass. I'd never use them on the bike, though, as they really isolate too well for road use IMO.

The Shures also come with a little gizmoid intended to give to an audiologis for getting custom ear fittings. I don't have any idea how well they would work or how much it might cost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ER6i earbuds..............

My new ER6i earbuds arrived today, I tryed them out and found the sound and the bass great , very accurate, and precise.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts