BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
ER6i

I've got the ER6i's and I like them alot. I find the music reproduction to be very good. Bass response is good, but not great. Blocking road noise doesn't seem to be a problem - much more aware of ambient noises than riding without ear protection. On my recent trip to Florida, my left side started getting a harsh, tinny sound during the volume peaks. 30 minutes later it crapped out. I fiddled with it and even changed the filter. I got it working again, but still tinny. I'm guessing it is a short in the wire connections, but it is almost impossible to pull apart without damaging the unit. Recommended, but wished it had a more robust construction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you keep the Shure E4's in place when pulling on helmet

I just purchased the Shure E4's. They sound great. I tried pulling my Shoei helmet on and cannot get them to stay in place. I saw the earlier post about using painter's tape. What are others doing? I ride a BMW R1100RS and am looking to buy a new K1200GT. It would be nice to have a better sounding solution than speakers and ear plugs.

BTW, anyone considered noise cancelling earplugs? I also worry about keeping some ambient noise around. My experience is the noise cancelling units only reduce the ambient background noise somewhat. Usually there is still more than enough noise getting through. Anyone else tried the SONY noise cancelling ear plugs?

Thanks.

PS, I just went for a ride and I'm disappointed in the isolation. The sound fidelity was outstaning however. I have read others saying it may take a few weeks to really dial in the right ear plug configuration. I'm open to that and will try the foam plugs. Still, I've been using the really good Heroes for 10 years and they provide extreme isolation. They go deeper into the ear canal and with the soft material seem to seal very well against the canal wall. I get a lot of wind noise around my helmet since I do not have an LT or even a RT that truly gives a bubble for my head to be in.

Anyone else's experience along the same lines would be appreciated. I'd love to have good sound fidelity without a lot of wind noise at 70 mph. Thanks again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been using custom ear plugs with my V-1 and ipod for a few years now and won't ride without them. It feels strange without them now that I've used them for so long.
I started out with a pair of custom ones that I had made up for me through a BMW friend at a rally and they lasted for a few years until they quit.
I've since replaced them with another set and just bought a pair of Shure e-3's as a backup pair that I'm having custom sleeves made for. My appointment to have the impressions made is tomorrow and I should get them back in a about a month, just in time for summer.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_shure_sleeve.html

I highly recommend using a custom plug for your hearing protection and listening pleasure.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Picked up e6i

After reading these posts, I picked up the e6i. Comfortable under the helmet, work great with nano. I have the Koss plugs too, foam has a tendency to push itself out of my ear canals, always pop out when removing helmet. Not so with e6i.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Er6i's kick azz!

Just rode from Indiana to New Hampshire last weekend (just under 1000 miles) and the Er6i's were performed perfectly. Not as much bass as my car (it has 2 12in subs though) but all in all great. I had a pretty wide range of music going too! Any where from Elvis to Pantera, the Grateful dead to slipknot! Techno to Reggae! Everything sounded good to me. Even at 120mph....that was impressive to say the least. i-pod volume was up quite a bit but no matter still not too loud for me when I was stopped. Highly recommend these ear bud even though I haven't had to change the filters yet!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting thread...I haven't ridden with the iPod since my in-ear headphones from Sony come out of my ears when I put on my helmet. Grr. I take it the Shures or the Es don't stick out very far and thus don't get bumped?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Impulse_Buyer said:
Interesting thread...I haven't ridden with the iPod since my in-ear headphones from Sony come out of my ears when I put on my helmet. Grr. I take it the Shures or the Es don't stick out very far and thus don't get bumped?
They go pretty deep into my ear when seated properly. The er6i's do not come out very easy either. They tell you not to pull on the wire so as not to damage them. Now it's not like I have gorilla fingers or anything but I do find it difficult to grab the ear bud and pull them out. (I get worried I'm going to push them in so far I won't be able to reach them!) However, even with the possiblility of having to ask a stranger to "please pull this thing outta my ear" it rocks to ride with tunes! :yeah: No, I'm not a purist! The drone of an engine and wind noise gets old pretty quick if you have a long way to go!

·
Registered
370 Posts
BMWorDuc said:
I've been using custom ear plugs with my V-1 and ipod for a few years now and won't ride without them. It feels strange without them now that I've used them for so long.
I started out with a pair of custom ones that I had made up for me through a BMW friend at a rally and they lasted for a few years until they quit.
I've since replaced them with another set and just bought a pair of Shure e-3's as a backup pair that I'm having custom sleeves made for. My appointment to have the impressions made is tomorrow and I should get them back in a about a month, just in time for summer.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_shure_sleeve.html

I highly recommend using a custom plug for your hearing protection and listening pleasure.

Cool product and site. Uhmm...maybe I'm blind, not deaf, but couldn't find andy prices on the site. How much? Cheers.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you want to upgrade them, have a set of custom sleeves made for your earplugs. I picked up a pair of Shures the other day on ebay and for $140.00 more, I'm having a set of sleeves made up to reduce the outside wind noise. That way, I don't have to turn up the volume as much on my iPod.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_pers_list.html

www.EarInc.com also makes them

·
Registered
504 Posts
andy45320 said:
Here you go...a cheap alternative to the ER-6's maybe? Hack puts a standard foam ear plug on to Koss ear buds for better isolation.

http://www.headwize.com/projects/cmoy4_prj.htm

I have not tried this hack yet, but will soon as a backup to my ER6's (glue appears to be holding now)
Been there done that, my ER6s are a vast improvement in all respects. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Earphones

I have tried the etymotics side by side with the Shure e2cs and I liked the Shure alot better. They are cheaper also.

Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Etymotic ER6i's are the best headphones I have ever used on or off the bike. I can't hear much on the bike over 30 mph anyway, so I would use ear plugs to cancel the wind noise. I use the foamy ear plug style tips and can't say enough about how well they perform and reduce the noise. I tried the helmet speakers and would have to turn the music up so loud I was afraid I might be harming my hearing. Now I listen at a much reduced volume with better sound quality. I love using them on the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a custom set of earplugs made with the Sony earbuds molded into the earplug. Works very well. It is not so quiet as to be dangerous.

·
Registered
121 Posts
rob707 said:
My Etymotic ER6i's are the best headphones I have ever used on or off the bike. I can't hear much on the bike over 30 mph anyway, so I would use ear plugs to cancel the wind noise. I use the foamy ear plug style tips and can't say enough about how well they perform and reduce the noise. I tried the helmet speakers and would have to turn the music up so loud I was afraid I might be harming my hearing. Now I listen at a much reduced volume with better sound quality. I love using them on the bike.

I have the Ultimate Ears UE Super Fi 5 Pro and they are killer. The Etymotics are too tinny sounding and drive me insane. The UE's are dual driver and sound much richer to me.

·
Would rather be riding
538 Posts
Happy with my Sony earbuds

I have some relatively cheap Sony in-the-ear earbuds that are comfortable under the helmet, and which provide decent noise reduction. Not as good as my hearos, which I otherwise wear pretty frequently.

Also, FYI, earbuds are illegal in California while driving. (But ear plugs are not.) See CA VC Section 27400

·
Registered
29 Posts
iasus xsound2 from helmetaudio.com - less than 50 bucks, inline volume control, easily mounts in the helmet - i'm very pleased - forget the buds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dez said:
I cover the ear with a piece of blue painter's masking tape to keep the bud in place under the helmet - learned that trick from an auto-racer buddy.
I wear ear buds all the time. I wear a shoei helmet that fits so well the ear buds rarely slip out. When I had an AFX helmet, they slipped out all the time... then I started wearing a balaclava. They never slipped out once if I'm wearing my balaclava.

Clever trick with the painters tape though...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.