BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
A few to stay away from?

My normal commute is at 90 MPH for 45 minutes (why I ride a K1200S) with occasional drops to 65 MPH. This may or not apply to what you do, but wind noise is a BIG factor. My time in town is negligible so if I am almost deaf to ambient I will take that over becoming permanently deaf from high speed wind noise.
I replaced my Monster Turbo ear buds with:
1) Sony MDR-NC300D noise cancelling - not bad sound, almost no noise isolation, noise cancelling did not work at all for wind noise, too big to use for long as the helmet pushed them in.
2) Panasonic RP-HC55 - same as above and had no sound at all over 80 MPH, I assume the noise cancelling gave up and the system just stopped all together
3) Klipsch S4 - good sound, no noise isolation at speed
I am thankful Fry's Electronics has an easy return policy.

I will look around for the E6i's, thanks for the recommendation.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
You realize that the recommendation was from 5 years ago, right?

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Noise cancelling isn't going to work too well on wind noise, because it is pseudo random and uncorrelated. Electronic noise cancelling only works well with noise that is steady and repetitive - - like background engine noise.

Music through some earbuds may make you think you've got rid of the external noise, but you have to be sure you aren't just increasing the music levels to mask the unwanted noise and risk hearing damage if used for long periods. You know you have the right music earbuds if they reduce the helmet and wind noise significantly, without any audio turned on.

I totally agree on the in helmet speakers. Unless the helmet is giving you really good noise protection (including when the visor is up (?)) you may be just masking the unwanted noise and increasing exposure. Some helmets use electronic automatic gain control to keep the speakers at optimum level, but I'd be careful they were not also increasing exposure to higher noise levels.

Another issue with earbuds and hearing protection is it is considered dangerous to drive/ride if you shut out all background noise. Foam earplugs whilst being simple to produce, are clever because they eliminate most of the low and sub low frequencies most harmful, whilst allowing some mid range to come through. Then you can hear those horns and tire squeels for danger ahead. I use them and re-use them by washing in soapy water - great for long haul flights too!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been riding with earbuds for a while. Once i started it was like the ride wasn't the same. The same concerns you have made me end up using one earbud during a ride so i can faintly jam, but still hear the world around me. I rode with these New Balance earbuds for a while because of the hook. Recently i have however tossed my earbuds and replaced them with this GIS in helmet speaker. Its a lot more comfortable and allows for me to hear the world around me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought plugs were really recommended when you used a half helmet or no helmet at all. Now helmets have good ear protection so is still necessary to wear ear plugs?

·
Registered
430 Posts
mayojuaf said:
I thought plugs were really recommended when you used a half helmet or no helmet at all. Now helmets have good ear protection so is still necessary to wear ear plugs?
i think so ..

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.