BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Gents,

I've got a dealer that is repairing a leaky valve gasket. The circumstances for the leek are odd because my bike has been in the care of the dealership for over 8 months. They called me last week and claimed the bike had a very large oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket. The repair they say will need 8 new valve cover screws part #11127674653.

The dealership claims that this screw ($15/screw) is a one time use only screw. All of the other dealerships that I have spoken to say this screw is reusable. I think they are trying to screw me.

Does anyone here have any evidence to back up the dealerships claim that this is a one time use only screw?

Thanks,
Clayton

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
That doesn't sound right to me . . .

The clutch cover screws are aluminum, and where those screws are called out in the BMW part fiche it clearly states: "Attention! Aluminum Screws May Only Be Used Once. For Additional Information, Refer To The Repair Manual!"

For the valve cover screws, there is no such warning. To me, that mean those screws are reusable, and in fact, I have reused those screws on every 18K valve check on my K12GT up to 138,000 miles . . .

Note that the valve cover gasket is replaceable, although I have been known to inspect those gaskets and reuse them if they looked good. I've never had a valve cover leak, but I do keep a new gasket on hand just in case it does need to be replaced during that service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Meese

Thank you for the reply. I can't help but feel something fishy is going on here. I instructed the dealership to reuse the screws unless there was any obvious damage to them. They stated the repair manual calls for replacement but I call bullshit per your attached image. Per their email to me it looks like my cam cover is warped.

" Note, we did discover that the cam cover is warped,
0.10 thousands on the corner that is leaking. "

Damn!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the plot thickens...

They are now telling me that after the repair, there is excessive oil pressure. They have reached out to BMW and requested a brand new engine on warranty. Whoa, wait a minute here. We went from excessive oil pressure to brand new engine?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Are they trying to get you a brand new engine covered under an existing warranty ? Or are the saying you need a new engine and IT would come with a warranty?
If they want to replace the motor and it won't cost you anything then that's a no-brainer :teeth .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moymurfs said:
Are they trying to get you a brand new engine covered under an existing warranty ? Or are the saying you need a new engine and IT would come with a warranty?
If they want to replace the motor and it won't cost you anything then that's a no-brainer :teeth .
Haha ya they are requesting a new engine on the house. I really hope that it works out haha! I was going to sell the bike but with a new engine, might as well keep it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No news yet unfortunately.

I've been thinking a lot and once I get this engine thing sorted out, I will probably sell the bike. I'm starting a business right now and I want to be completely focused on it.

I dropped my bike off at the dealer in San Antonio back in late May of 2014 and haven't ridden it since. I've never heard of a dealer keeping a bike for almost a year. It has really been a test of my patience.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hangtenclayton said:
No news yet unfortunately.

I've been thinking a lot and once I get this engine thing sorted out, I will probably sell the bike. I'm starting a business right now and I want to be completely focused on it.

I dropped my bike off at the dealer in San Antonio back in late May of 2014 and haven't ridden it since. I've never heard of a dealer keeping a bike for almost a year. It has really been a test of my patience.
Well, Hangten, there are laws about how long a dealer can hold onto your bike without fixing it. There is some pressure on them to get it fixed in a reasonable time......You might have to talk to BMW NA about that.

I do find it amazing that a screw has escalated to an engine replacement. Before this is all done you may find you get a replacement bike!! For a screw!! What a screw up!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lhendrick said:
Well, Hangten, there are laws about how long a dealer can hold onto your bike without fixing it. There is some pressure on them to get it fixed in a reasonable time......You might have to talk to BMW NA about that.

I do find it amazing that a screw has escalated to an engine replacement. Before this is all done you may find you get a replacement bike!! For a screw!! What a screw up!
Ya it definitely has been a screw up. I spoke to the dealer late last week and now their story has changed. They informed me that they didn't say engine replacement but rather an "engine repair." They are trying to get BWM to cover all the labor and parts as goodwill.

Calls to BMW of America have been fruitless. Their answer has been "sorry but we give our name to dealerships but we have not control over them. You have to work it out with them." Because of that reason, this will be my last BWM anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would run, not walk away from this dealer. :wtf:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just changed my 2006 K1200GT cam chain at 72,000km and I reused the 8 head cover bolts. There is no reason not to. I've been told BMW (and other makers) use aluminium bolts to ensure a market for replacements. I can't think of any other reason. Not strength, not electrolytic reaction, not weight. All of my Triumphs had steel or stainless crankcase bolts going into aluminium.
Refitting the clutch cover requires all the 6mm bolts (there's about 18 or so) to be replaced with new (cost $A82). On torquing them up (in the prescribed pattern) to 5nm the second screw broke right on torque. I had to drill it out to 7mm and retap for an 8mm bolt. Once bitten, I replaced all the screws with stainless Allen heads ($A12) . Also of interest, the $A80 I paid for the special coil remover tool was a total waste of money. The coils lose their plastic upper grip ridge rendering the expensive tool useless but I found the coils easily popped up with careful application of a medium flat screwdriver, anyway. Similarly, only a fool is going to pay $US250 for the "special tool pliers"needed to remove the hose clips. I simply replaced the clips with screw type jubilee clips. The locating pin (special tool) is an absolute must to ensure the timing stays put as the marks are near impossible to see being where they are situated (I used an endoscope). There was some mild wear evident on the camshaft sprocket (teeth had slightly rounded) but negligible stretch on the chain itself. I ordered a new head cover gasket but there was nothing wrong with the old one thus I put it back. Same with the clutch cover gasket (the factory gasket is high quality rubberised aluminium - the replacement is typical gasket fibre). I also fitted new tensioner and slide though both originals were still perfectly useable. I changed the cam chain as a precaution (no noise or other symptom).
Biggest problem in this operation was refilling the coolant system without factory pressure gear. It takes patience but is possible using the plastic bleed screw near the top hose/thermo housing when the engine is running and hot enough to open the thermostat. Also the time to check for oil or other leaks.
Also of interest, my K1200 has a radiator fan that at traffic lights on a hot day sounds like it is about to expire with a bearing melt down.
While the radiator was out, I stripped out the fan and bench tested it. It was fine- the unwelcome noise is simply a wind tunnel effect and while it sounds horrible is completely normal.
On the subject of final drive oil replacement (75-90watt). I dropped the trans unit down until it just reached the point of the shaft splines coming free. It was enough to drain the oil though I used air pressure via the sensor hole to clear any remaining residue. This meant I did not have to remove the brake calipre or worry about realigning the splines. It has a magnetic drain plug and I found no trace of metal particles either on it or in the oil (drained into a fresh clear jar). The last final drive oil change was 5000 km ago.

Hope this helps other DIYers.

Hangtenclayton said:
Greetings Gents,

I've got a dealer that is repairing a leaky valve gasket. The circumstances for the leek are odd because my bike has been in the care of the dealership for over 8 months. They called me last week and claimed the bike had a very large oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket. The repair they say will need 8 new valve cover screws part #11127674653.

The dealership claims that this screw ($15/screw) is a one time use only screw. All of the other dealerships that I have spoken to say this screw is reusable. I think they are trying to screw me.

Does anyone here have any evidence to back up the dealerships claim that this is a one time use only screw?

Thanks,
Clayton

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K1200RSMN said:
I would run, not walk away from this dealer. :wtf:
Ya it may come to that. Unfortunately, I travel extensively for my job. My current project only allows for me to fly home once a month or so. Because of my schedule, they have me by the balls until I can get the time, trailer, truck, etc to get my bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
my valve cover leaked all of a sudden early last year, one day it was fine, next day it leaked A LOT. Dealer said the gasket blew out and had never seen that happen. It was not cheap to replace as I had them do a few other "while you are in there" things like check/set valves (I was coming up on valve mileage check anyway). But they re-used the screws.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Meese said:
That doesn't sound right to me . . .

The clutch cover screws are aluminum, and where those screws are called out in the BMW part fiche it clearly states: "Attention! Aluminum Screws May Only Be Used Once. For Additional Information, Refer To The Repair Manual!"

For the valve cover screws, there is no such warning. To me, that mean those screws are reusable, and in fact, I have reused those screws on every 18K valve check on my K12GT up to 138,000 miles . . .

Note that the valve cover gasket is replaceable, although I have been known to inspect those gaskets and reuse them if they looked good. I've never had a valve cover leak, but I do keep a new gasket on hand just in case it does need to be replaced during that service.

You have my interest....so in the 138,000 miles was there any need in the checks? Were the valves within or out of spec...

Thanks...
Kbikeinbc

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
kbikeinbc said:
You have my interest....so in the 138,000 miles was there any need in the checks? Were the valves within or out of spec...
I kept up on the valve checks, even doing later ones myself, although I did stretch the intervals out a bit further.

I have heard of a handful of these bikes that did need valve adjustments, some even at the first check, but it's pretty rare with the Slant/4 motor. Still, I wouldn't completely skip this procedure, just in case.

I never had anything go out of spec, but by checking them at least I knew they were all good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And it just keeps getting weirder. Today I requested that the dealership send me a copy of their correspondence with BMW. They replied without the correspondence but said that BWM would be covering a new timing chain guide and cam cover.

So we went from engine repair to timing chain guide and cam cover? What does that have to do with high engine oil pressure?

And why no mention of my request for the BWM correspondence? Very strange indeed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The saga continues...

I responded to the dealership owner, asking for a description of what the timing chain guide and the cam cover had to do with the high oil pressure and oil leak. I have yet to receive a reply.

I reached out to BWM Motorrad and they informed me in writing, that all privacy policies are at the BWM dealers discretion. Meaning, when the dealer told me their correspondence with BWM was confidential, it was their policy and not BMW's.

Why would you not want to share correspondence related to a goodwill campaign, with your customer? It makes sense to me that you would willingly share since you went to bat for the customer. Unless perhaps that correspondence doesn't exist.

To be continued...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After sending the dealership a reminder of my request to get an explanation of what caused the oil leak, here is what they responded with.

"The chain guide moved up to the cam cover. The pressure
of the chain guide on the cam cover caused a slight opening
between the cover and the cylinder head. This opening allowed
the crankcase pressure to escape through the opening. The oil
that was detected was caused by the oil/ crank case pressure
pushing through that opening."

My bike had the cam chain jump guard installed back in 2012. Does the jump guard not protect against the chain guide moving up to the cam cover?

Also, they once again did not acknowledge my request to see the emails to BMW regarding the goodwill.

I was originally told that my bike started leaking while it was on the show room floor of the dealership (I am selling it on consignment). How does a bike with an oil pressure leak, start leaking when it's just sitting there. Unless they started the bike for a potential customer, I cannot think of a reason.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The jump guard wouldn't do anything with a broken guide. The (2) guides are just plastic rails that can break in a big piece or many little pieces depending upon how much the chain chews them up. I guess it's feasible that a guide broke (it would have to be a large piece or the whole thing) and was run upward by the chain until it got stuck at the top.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
moymurfs said:
The jump guard wouldn't do anything with a broken guide. The (2) guides are just plastic rails that can break in a big piece or many little pieces depending upon how much the chain chews them up. I guess it's feasible that a guide broke (it would have to be a large piece or the whole thing) and was run upward by the chain until it got stuck at the top.
Thanks for the reply moymurfs. The hell of it is I also have the updated tensioner, which based on my understanding, severely limits the chance of this happening. Good thing it's being taken care of goodwill. I still find it very odd that the dealership doesn't want to share their correspondence with BWM though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts